none
DPM 2012 "Unable to configure protection" with error ID 30184 RRS feed

• Question

• I just added a new folder under a new volume on an already-protected computer into DPM, and ran into this problem as described in the subject.  When checking the details form the failed job, the description says "DPM cannot continue protection for Volume E:\ on SERVER.domain.com. (ID 30184)". While trying to find some more info by the code, I got this: 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg232567.aspx

Apparently Microsoft has given a code but failed to tell us what it is.... 

After that,  I did some research and found some other TechNet discussions suggested deleting this key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent\2.0\UsnJournal,

I hesitated doing that because 1) they have an error ID different from mine, and 2) I have two volumes on this client --  the D drive was added and is working, then I added the E drive.  But I only see one key under \UsnJournal, that made me wonder if the key that I am suppose to delete is not even there.......  and deleting this existing one will mess up my good backup on the D drive ?

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:08 PM

All replies

• On the volume that is showing the error, are you able to manually create a VSS snapshot in the properties of the volume in shadow copies. Do you also have any limits set on the size of the shadow copies or any other shadow copies saved on that volume.

You can try stopping protection on the new volume and (if running DPM 2012) use the clear cache option to refresh the volume on the sever and attempt to protect again.

If that fails can you look in the event log on the protected server for any VSS related errors and also check the agent log in DPM\Temp\DPMRACurrerr.log to see if there is an indication as to why the protection of the volume is failing.

• Proposed as answer by DrZapps Thursday, November 28, 2013 7:42 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by DrZapps Thursday, November 28, 2013 7:42 AM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:30 AM
  • So far I was able to just run the CMDLET on the WORKGROUP server>

change directory in CMD to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin>

The run the following CMD > setdpmserver.exe -dpmservername "Enter the DPM servername"(without inverted commas) -isnondmainserver -username DPMAgent.

You will be requested to enter a password and to confirm that password.

You should get the following status below :

Configuration Completed Successfully!!!

You may then proceed to the DPM server >> click on Management >> install agent >> select the attach agents for work or untrusted domain >> enter the servername where you run the above CMD and the associate DPMAgent and password >> click Add and next >> click attach >> the status will say SUCCESS.

The Agent Status should now show as Okay, this will allow you to run a consistency check on the protection group.

Regards

-DrZapps

Thursday, November 28, 2013 7:51 AM