Application with dependency to Outlook 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Platform - 4.5 App-V Client, WinTS 2003.

Application has built-in functionality to send e-mails, by default it calls Outlook client.

When application is being used in a virtual environment it calls the physical outlook client, but that client does not have all the necessary profile settings configured somehow and user is presented with a window to choose their default outlook profile.

The first workaround solution I have come up with was to sequence a sepparate Outlook 2003 version to asset directory and check if the program would run correctly when outlook client is being called from asset directory in a virtual environment.

This, however, causes even more issues - application becomes unstable, slow, sometimes freezes, but has the functionality to interract with outlook properly.

I was wondering if someone might have some extra pointers on how to come up with a solution for this except making a physical .msi version of this program.

When the physical outlook version is being called, the process parrent comes up as winlogon.exe.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 8:28 AM

Answers

• I've seen this before.

Whats happening is when your app calls the local install of outlook it thinks that outlook has not been installed or configured before so it tries to set up its own copy irrespective of the local profile.

What you need to actually do in this case is create the file structure that points to where the outlook structure is "C:\documents and settings\%USERNAME%\applciation data\etc etc" you'll need to also put a dummy file inside the end folder. Now rememeber to tell that file to merge with local.

Now when you stream down your app again it will see that a local of Outlook exists and it will just pull that copy inside your virtual bubble.

But remember that doing this could pottentioally leave you with different  outlook profiles. One physical and one virtual.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:11 PM

All replies

• When sequencing the application, did you install and configure Outlook on the sequencing machine before starting the sequencing process?
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 8:46 AM
  • No, the machine that has been used for sequencing did not have a configured outlook client. It only had it installed.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 8:53 AM
  • I've seen this before.

Whats happening is when your app calls the local install of outlook it thinks that outlook has not been installed or configured before so it tries to set up its own copy irrespective of the local profile.

What you need to actually do in this case is create the file structure that points to where the outlook structure is "C:\documents and settings\%USERNAME%\applciation data\etc etc" you'll need to also put a dummy file inside the end folder. Now rememeber to tell that file to merge with local.

Now when you stream down your app again it will see that a local of Outlook exists and it will just pull that copy inside your virtual bubble.

But remember that doing this could pottentioally leave you with different  outlook profiles. One physical and one virtual.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:11 PM
  • I've created the "Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" folder in virtual environment and put a dummy file there. The folder is set to merge with local directory.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1763/outlookmergewithlocal.png

The application is still unable to detect a proper outlook profile and comes up with a window to choose a profile for outlook.

I've also tried the following policies, but they did not affect application behavior:
    <POLICIES>
    <LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>TRUE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>
    <SXS_32_ENABLED>TRUE</SXS_32_ENABLED>
    </POLICIES>

Still looking for suggestions for this.
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Only other thing I'd suggest now is search the registry for anything outlook related that could be blocking it, or good ol faithful procmon can help you out.

That will tell you where exactly it is looking for the profile

Friday, September 17, 2010 2:00 PM
  • As it turned out it was really a matter of application interacting with Outlook, the non-virtual version had similar issues.

But some of the suggestions in this topic are really useful.

Monday, November 1, 2010 2:16 PM