none
DpmBackup.exe -db in DPM 2012 R2 Fails To Back Up RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new installation of System Center DPM 2012 R2 with the most recent updates installed. When I try to back up the SQL Server 2012 database, I get this error:  "Error: Backup failed for Server 'MyServer'." The command I'm using is: 

dpmbackup.exe -db -sqlServerName MyServer -instanceName "(LOCAL)" -dpmdbname DPMDB_MyServer. The SQL server instance name is the default MSSQLSERVER and the database name is DPMDB_MyServer. The firewall is turned off but before that I checked that TCP/IP was set to allow port 1433.I can back up the database using SQL Server Management Studio so it's looks like a permissions problem somewhere. I have another test server configured the same way and it too gives the error message. Any ideas what's causing this? 

After reviewing the Event Viewer, Windows Logs, Application, I find this error (partial listing):

</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.FailedOperationException: Backup failed for Server 'MyServer'.  ---&gt; Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ExecutionFailureException: An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. ---&gt; System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open backup device 'c:\users\joe\desktop\dpmdb_myserverl.bak'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

What is Operating System Error 5 (access denied)?

Okay, I figured it out that SQL didn't have permission to write to any folders other than it's own folder system. So this command worked successfully:

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\DPM\DPM\bin> dpmbackup.exe -
    db -sqlServerName MyServer -instanceName "(LOCAL)" -dpmdbname DPMDB_MYSERVER -targ
    etLocation "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA"

• Edited by Jarens Monday, June 2, 2014 9:25 PM
    Monday, June 2, 2014 8:18 PM

Answers

• Yes it's been resolved. The command at the bottom of my post worked.

• Marked as answer by Jarens Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:58 PM
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:58 PM

All replies

• hi

If you create a network share with the correct permissions does it work? You getting an access denied error.

I see you say the bottom command worked. Is your question resolved or do you need help still?

• Marked as answer by Jarens Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:55 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jarens Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:55 PM
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:20 PM
  • Yes it's been resolved. The command at the bottom of my post worked.

• Marked as answer by Jarens Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:58 PM
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:58 PM