none
Microsoft project 2007 status manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have a user in Microsoft project 2007 and assigned as a status manager to different projects.

everything was fine but from 2 days when this user tries to open any project of them the following error occurs:

"you selected a project that can be only opened  read-only. Do you want Microsoft office project to open the project in read-only?"

Knowing that this user can open other projects in write mode although which he is not status manager on them.

i tried the following:

1-Microsoft project 2007-->tools-->local project cache-clean up cache (for projects checked and not checked out).

2-delete the cache file in the following directory: C:\Users\fahda.SOLIDEREDOMAIN\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MS Project\Cache\.

Any Help

• Edited by SOlidere Wednesday, February 10, 2016 2:21 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 2:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since you have cleaned up the local cache, did you check that the project is checked in? It might be opened by another user. Then also check in the queue if you don't have a failed job concerning this project's checkin operation.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 2:25 PM
  • I like to use to clean temp and cache this software = https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Good morning,

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 2:29 PM
  • The project is checked in and nothing is stuck in the queue.

this problem happens for all the projects that this user is status manager for them 

• Edited by SOlidere Wednesday, February 10, 2016 3:48 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 3:47 PM
  • when software is single-user, and already have another person using the same time, the file (single-user) software often open as read-only, so a user has to wait for the other user closes the file into the computer's RAM you are currently using.

Good afternoon

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 4:04 PM
  • good morning

its not single user..we have many users in the system and many status managers .

Only one user that has this problem, he cant open projects in write mode knowing that he is status manager on projects. But can open other projects in write mode although which he is not status manager on them.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

I would suggest to make the user try on another machine to see if it could be related to his computer. Then you could try to repair MS Project Pro and/or delete his Project Server account in Project Pro and recreate it.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:09 AM
  • i installed ms project in another machine and logon in with this user and same error happens.

Friday, February 12, 2016 1:21 PM
  • The user cannot open the same file at the same time on different machines, to use the same file. In one of the machines the file will always open in read mode, because it's already being used on another machine.

The same file cannot be opened in RAM on two computers at the same time, the file is single-user, what is multiuser is the Windows operating system.

Friday, February 12, 2016 1:42 PM