Trying to deploy Sonicwall NetExtender 4.134 RRS feed

• Question

• Everytime I try to deploy NetExtender if fails, I have tried both as an Update and as Software deployment. The software is packaged as a MSI and have been unable to locate any real switchs to be applied. Here is what the windows update log says. Software is confirmed to be in the software distribution folder. Any one have any ideas?

2010-11-10 10:25:27:856  636 1950 Agent WARNING: Failed to evaluate Installed rule, updateId = {EF0BDD09-C844-41A0-8E91-588FB3CDDD77}.2, hr = 8004100E
    2010-11-10 10:25:27:866  636 1950 Agent WARNING: Failed to evaluate Installable rule, updateId = {EF0BDD09-C844-41A0-8E91-588FB3CDDD77}.2, hr = 8004100E

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:55 PM

Answers

• i wondered about that, I tried installing the adapter driver on a vm and it WOULD NOT install, didn't matter what I tried.  I figured it was because it was trying to install a virtual adapter on a virtual adapter (i know, right?)  xp worked just fine.  I have the netextender adapter on my windows 7 machines here, but we install those manually by going to our vpn site.  IIRC, the OS does give you warning about an unsigned driver.  Guess I should've mentioned that first.  Well, at least we have an official answer from the vendor.  The manual install will work if you have admin rights, not sure how many clients you're trying to install this on, may not be worth your time.

Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    • Marked as answer by ScottyTE Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:16 PM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:13 PM

All replies

• I would say remove the approval, delete that package, create a new software package and re-deploy.  With that segment out of the windowsupdate.log it's very hard to see what's really going on without seeing the whole update cycle. 

As far as the switches go, try using /qb or /qn  since it's an msi, it's going to use default microsoft switches.  If those fail, try it without any switches.  An example would be Adobe Flash Player ActiveX control (the msi version), I push it with /qn fails every time, push it with no switches, works every time and is still a silent install.

Someone had an issue similar to yours here:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenter/thread/2b8a91c8-6f38-49a9-b416-4f6f4b821b76

Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, November 12, 2010 8:27 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:56 PM
  •  

Hi,

May I know if all the clients meet this issue?

Please also ensure the installation package is valid; you can try installing it manually to see how it works.

In addition, please try the following hotfix:

Some computers do not receive updates from the WSUS server

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;954960

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, November 12, 2010 8:34 AM
  • According to Sonicwall the reason the software doesn't install is becuase of software required a driver update that isn't registered with Microsoft this causing the problem. They will be addressing this issue sometime Q1 2011..

Thanks for the responces.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:01 PM
  • i wondered about that, I tried installing the adapter driver on a vm and it WOULD NOT install, didn't matter what I tried.  I figured it was because it was trying to install a virtual adapter on a virtual adapter (i know, right?)  xp worked just fine.  I have the netextender adapter on my windows 7 machines here, but we install those manually by going to our vpn site.  IIRC, the OS does give you warning about an unsigned driver.  Guess I should've mentioned that first.  Well, at least we have an official answer from the vendor.  The manual install will work if you have admin rights, not sure how many clients you're trying to install this on, may not be worth your time.

• Marked as answer by ScottyTE Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:16 PM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:13 PM