Export / Import Collections - ErrorCode 1112017920 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have the following 2 issues when exporting/importing collections.

Imported collections that have a limiting collection of a collection that is imported at the same time don’t have a limited collection set. Setting a limiting collection is unsuccessful (no error though).

Creating a copy of the collection, the one that has no limiting collection, sets a limiting collection to the original collection (so the one with no limiting). Changing the limiting collection of the new collection gives the error below. Anyone else seeing this? Is this just a bug/known issue/by design? Any solution other that creating the collection manual or export/import this in multiple fases?

ConfigMgr Error Object:

instance of SMS_ExtendedStatus

{

Description = "User \"<Domain>\\<User>\" cannot change limiting collection to <Collection ID of the new limiting collection> because the user may gain or lose permission by this change";

ErrorCode = 1112017920;

File = "e:\\nts_sccm_release\\sms\\siteserver\\sdk_provider\\smsprov\\sspcollection.cpp";

Line = 931;

ObjectInfo = "1342176935";

Operation = "PutInstance";

ParameterInfo = "";

ProviderName = "ExtnProv";

StatusCode = 2147749889;

};

-------------------------------

Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException

You do not have security rights to perform this operation.

Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.Put(ReportProgress progressReport)

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.Put()

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsDialogData.Put(IResultObject resultObject, List`1 resultObjectsPut, Boolean retainLock)

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsDialogData.Put(Boolean retainLock)

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.DialogFramework.Forms.SmsPropertySheet.Put(ActionTrigger trigger)

System.Management.ManagementException

Generic failure

Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.Put(ReportProgress progressReport)

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.Put()

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsDialogData.Put(IResultObject resultObject, List`1 resultObjectsPut, Boolean retainLock)

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsDialogData.Put(Boolean retainLock)

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.DialogFramework.Forms.SmsPropertySheet.Put(ActionTrigger trigger)

Regards, Bas

Monday, August 13, 2012 10:55 AM

All replies

• I am having the same issue. Does anyone have any solutions?

Update:

Actually this is only happening for a few collections as I have discovered. All of them present the error when linking to a default SCCM collection though. There are a few collections that I created that present the error as well when linking to them.

• Edited by Joshua St Monday, January 28, 2013 1:46 AM Update
    Monday, January 28, 2013 1:43 AM
  • There are specific conditions where collections cannot be migrated:

System Center 2012 Configuration Manager can migrate any of the default user collections, device collections, and most custom collections from the Configuration Manager 2007 source hierarchy. However, System Center 2012 Configuration Manager cannot migrate collections that contain users and devices in the same collection.

The following collections cannot be migrated:

• A collection that contains users and devices.
    • A collection that contains a reference to a collection of a different resource type. For example, a device-based collection that has either a subcollection or a link to a user-based collection. In this example only the top-level collection migrates.
    • A collection that contains a rule to include unknown computers. The collection migrates, but the rule to include unknown computers does not migrate.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712285.aspx#About_Collection_Migration_ under 'unsupported collections

Bob Edwards SDET, Microsoft Corporation SCCM PVT, STRESS, and Performance consultant

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:33 PM
  • So I should be able to import collections without issue if I delete all resources from the collections before exporting if it's device-based?
    Monday, February 4, 2013 2:27 PM
  • If you delete all user resources from such a collection, that would be true.  The point to the first bullet, above, is you cannot migration a collection with both users and devices, nor a collection of type X, that is referenced to a collection of type Y (device-based, user-based)

Are all your collection migrations failing, or just a sub-set?  If it's just a sub-set, then we just need to identify the delta between the working ones and the failing ones.

Based on the exception you listed, it seems that the security rights for the limiting collection are different than those for the collection referencing the limiting collection.  What level of RBAC authority does the account you're using for the migration have?

Bob Edwards SDET, Microsoft Corporation SCCM PVT, STRESS, and Performance consultant

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 12:43 AM
  • I discovered what the issue is, at least in my environment. Here are my findings.

Import successful:

Custom collections that link to a default SCCM collection (i.e. All Systems)

Import fail:

Custom collections that link to other custom collections

I discovered a way around this but it would be exhausting if you have more than 10 collections. I looked at the .mof file in Notepad++ and discovered the collectionID for a given collection is not exported. If you modify the collectionID to a collection that it reference, the import will be successful. The only thing that I see change is the actual collectionID that appears under the collection properties. I guess since you already assigned it an ID SCCM does not create a new for it.

Ex: Collection A is linked to "All Systems". Collection B is linked to "Collection A"

Exporting returns the following file

// ********************************************************************************* // // Created by SMS Export object wizard // // Wednesday, February 13, 2013 created // // File Name: D:\Backup\Collections.MOF // // Comments : // // // ********************************************************************************* // ***** Class : SMS_Collection ***** [SecurityVerbs(-1)] instance of SMS_Collection { CollectionID = "JJJ0001A"; //This is blank when you export CollectionRules = { instance of SMS_CollectionRuleQuery { QueryExpression = "" //was taking up too much space so took out query QueryID = 1; RuleName = "COllection A"; }}; CollectionType = 2; CollectionVariablesCount = 0; Comment = ""; CurrentStatus = 0; IncludeExcludeCollectionsCount = 0; IsBuiltIn = FALSE; IsReferenceCollection = FALSE; ISVData = NULL; ISVDataSize = 0; LastChangeTime = "20120712063932.000000+***"; LastMemberChangeTime = "20120927032838.000000+***"; LastRefreshTime = "20121230090105.000000+***"; LimitToCollectionID = "SMS00001"; //The link works here because SCCM uses this ID by default LimitToCollectionName = "All Systems"; LocalMemberCount = 11; MemberClassName = ""; MemberCount = 11; MonitoringFlags = 0; Name = "Collection A"; OwnedByThisSite = TRUE; PowerConfigsCount = 0; RefreshSchedule = { instance of SMS_ST_RecurInterval { DayDuration = 0; DaySpan = 7; HourDuration = 0; HourSpan = 0; IsGMT = FALSE; MinuteDuration = 0; MinuteSpan = 0; StartTime = "20120705195600.000000+***"; }}; RefreshType = 6; ServiceWindowsCount = 0; }; // ***** End ***** // ***** Class : SMS_Collection ***** [SecurityVerbs(-1)] instance of SMS_Collection { CollectionID = ""; CollectionRules = { instance of SMS_CollectionRuleDirect { ResourceClassName = "SMS_R_System"; ResourceID = 16777252; RuleName = "Collection B"; }}; CollectionType = 2; CollectionVariablesCount = 0; Comment = ""; CurrentStatus = 0; IncludeExcludeCollectionsCount = 0; IsBuiltIn = FALSE; IsReferenceCollection = FALSE; ISVData = NULL; ISVDataSize = 0; LastChangeTime = "20120927033014.000000+***"; LastMemberChangeTime = "20120927033023.000000+***"; LastRefreshTime = "20121230090112.000000+***"; LimitToCollectionID = "JJJ0001A"; //SCCM doesn't see a collection that has this ID so the reference is not made LimitToCollectionName = "Collection A"; LocalMemberCount = 1; MemberClassName = ""; MemberCount = 1; MonitoringFlags = 0; Name = "Collection B"; OwnedByThisSite = TRUE; PowerConfigsCount = 0; RefreshSchedule = { instance of SMS_ST_RecurInterval { DayDuration = 0; DaySpan = 7; HourDuration = 0; HourSpan = 0; IsGMT = FALSE; MinuteDuration = 0; MinuteSpan = 0; StartTime = "20120926232900.000000+***"; }}; RefreshType = 1; ServiceWindowsCount = 1; }; // ***** End *****

Is this by design or a flaw?

• Edited by Joshua St Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:34 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Tobias.Ohren Monday, July 7, 2014 10:34 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:31 PM
  • Hey Acid_Mist,

thanks for posting your resolution!

I got exactly the same situation and you saved me hours of troubleshooting.

Best Regards

Tobias

Monday, July 7, 2014 10:38 AM
  • This is great if you know this ahead of time. BUT what about cases (like us) where you don't know about this, go ahead and import the collection, and then you're stuck...for any collection not limited by "All Systems", we can't delete it (says you don't have rights to), can't add a limiting collection, and can't change the membership rules?? I tried editing the MOF file of one of these collections and re-importing it, but it fails, saying "error occurred while storing the data". Even renaming the collection name inside the MOF file doesn't help.

Ben JohnsonWY

Thursday, January 7, 2016 8:19 PM
  • A SQL guru came by and helped me out. In the CM_ABC db, you find dbo.Collections_G (for SCCM 2012). Right click that dbo and select Edit Top 200 Rows. Find the problem collection, r-click, and select delete. There are other ways to do this within SQL but we thought this was best, at least for a small number. Of course, backup up the db first.

Ben JohnsonWY

Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:25 PM
  • An alternative solution, that seems to solved the issue for me, is to just update the LimitToCollection field in the dbo.Collections_G table. That way you don't need to delete and recreate your imported collections.

Andrew France - http://andrewsprivatecloud.wordpress.com

Monday, March 7, 2016 4:41 PM
  • Find the problem collection, r-click, and select delete.
    Just as an information for others that might find this thread: editing the database manually is not supported.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, March 7, 2016 6:59 PM
  • Thanks for the helpful information Torsten.

What is Microsoft's "supported" fix for this issue??

Andrew

Andrew France - http://andrewsprivatecloud.wordpress.com

Monday, March 7, 2016 7:25 PM
  • Thanks for posting the answer.  This worked for me and had to edit the MOF for the 150 Collections I was importing.  I was wondering how the system was going to do the mapping in my new environment using my custom collections and made sure I imported them first.  Didn't seem to matter though and the mapping was lost, errors ensued...  Would be nice if the wizard gave an option for verifying the limiting collection before import and modifying if necessary.
    Friday, June 17, 2016 11:02 AM