Windows 7 Slow Boot: autochk.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

Well heres the issue:

Lately, my windows 7 machine has been taking awhile to boot up. 100+ seconds.

I have done a boot trace and narrowed it down to autochk.exe which is taking 80 seconds to do its thing. (whatever it does)

However, when i unplug my esata drive, the computer boots fine.

The weird thing is though, that it used to work fine with the esata drive pluged in for the first few months. (this just started happening last week)

I have tried original mobo drivers, and new ones on the intel and gigabyte website.

I have changed the registry key BootExecute to: autocheck autochk /k:E *
    (E being the esata drive)

I have performed a chkdsk /r on all my hard disks, and they have come back squeaky clean.

Im not sure on what steps to take next. Was thinking a repair install? could autochk.exe be corrupt? Is there a way to disable it?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:51 AM

Answers

• Have tested the cpi-e sata card with the same result.

i have deleted everything from the raid, wiped it away, and recreated it. going to reboot now.

Seemed to have done the trick. Mayb the raid volume had become corrupt somehow?

well all seems fine now.

back to my under 10 second boot times.

• Marked as answer by Dom_Christo Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:21 AM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to share the following KB for your reference:

The Chkdsk.exe program does not start correctly on a Windows 7-based computer

Chkdsk.exe or Autochk.exe starts when you try to shut down or restart your computer

Meanwhile, the issue can be relevant to power supply, it seems that once after unplugging the eSATA drive, the power supply is sufficient. Please connect the eSATA drive to another slot to see if the situation gets better.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, August 13, 2010 9:07 AM
  • have seen both those KB articles already.

tried using other esata ports, no luck.

i do have a pci-e esata card, might give that a try.

Friday, August 13, 2010 10:11 AM
  • Have tested the pci-e esata card? What is the result?

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:21 AM
  • Have tested the cpi-e sata card with the same result.

i have deleted everything from the raid, wiped it away, and recreated it. going to reboot now.

Seemed to have done the trick. Mayb the raid volume had become corrupt somehow?

well all seems fine now.

back to my under 10 second boot times.

• Marked as answer by Dom_Christo Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:21 AM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:47 AM