none
"Access denied" trying to restore files from backup RRS feed

• Question

• I've got Windows Server Backup on Server 2012 R2, and it's run flawlessly for years.

Last week I copied a folder from another computer to the server, and modified permissions on it so that only 2 users had access to it (a user, and the Administrator).

When I tried a test recovery from the nightly backup (Windows Server Backup), I suddenly cannot browse ANY previous day's backup, even prior to the new folder existing.  When I expand the server name, I now just get:

"Unable to browse System Reserved. Access is denied" and
    "Unable to browse Local disk (C:). Access is denied

These errors only showed up after adding the user folder last week, and modifying its permissions.

Once I saw that error, I went back to the permissions on the new folder and added the user "SYSTEM", with full permissions.  But it has made no difference.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

Thanks

Dave

David Ewer

Thursday, January 10, 2019 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hello Dave!

By default Windows Server Backup (WSB) stores its normal backups at the Windows Image Backup folder, and the incremental backups in a folder called the System Volume Information.

The System Volume Information folder is a hidden system folder that the System Restore utility uses to store its restore points and information.

I wonder if the permissions have somehow changed or gotten corrupted on the folders above, it might be worth checking.

Check if the local SYSTEM account has Full Control on these folders.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, January 10, 2019 9:11 PM
  • Thanks Leon,

A question: Even though I'm getting the access denied errors when I attempt to restore, does the fact that all nightly backups have a status of "Successful" mean that the backup is likely good, and the data can likely be restored if the need arises?  

2nd question: In order to modify permissions on the hidden System Volume Information folder, does this mean I need to assign a drive letter to the backup USB drive?  (It currently has no drive letter assigned.)

Thanks very much.

Dave

David

Saturday, January 12, 2019 9:03 PM
  • Hi,

It is necessary to assign a drive if you want to run cmd command like iCacls  for Modify Access Control List.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 14, 2019 9:16 PM
  • Thanks very much.  I'm wondering though, since Windows Server Backup is saying the backups are successful each night, does this mean that they are, and once I have user rights on the drive, the data will be there?

I find it interesting that this occurred after creating a single folder on the server with restrictive rights.  The problem came up the night after I created that folder.  Seems very strange.

Dave

David

Thursday, January 17, 2019 8:09 PM
  • Sorry I didn't receive your earlier reply for some reason.

I would perform a test restore of some data to verify that the backup(s) are valid. (in bigger companies this should be a routine during maintenance windows).

The thing with backups is that it isn't difficult to take a backup, it's actually the restoring part which is difficult.

By the way, did the local SYSTEM account have permissions on the folder you created?

Thursday, January 17, 2019 8:17 PM
  • The local SYSTEM account did not have permissions at first, but I added SYSTEM a few days ago with full permissions.

Dave

David

Thursday, January 17, 2019 8:47 PM
  • I used this icacls command on the System Volume Information folder of the backup USB drive, but it has still not allowed me to do a file restore:

icacls "C:\System Volume Information" /grant Username:F

The Usernames I tried were both the administrator username and the SYSTEM user name.  Neither allowed me to restore a file.  Still get access denied errors.

Dave

David

Monday, January 28, 2019 2:51 PM
  • New information:

I connected a freshly formatted USB drive and ran the Windows Server Backup "backup once" option.  The backup ran successfully, and I still get the access denied errors when I try to browse the backup to do a test restore.

This all started when I created a folder with restricted permissions on the server.  I have since (a couple of weeks ago) changed the permissions on the folder to full permissions for these users: CREATOR OWNER (no permissions), SYSTEM (full) Administrators (full), the actual server administrator account (full). 

Even though the backup log is saying that the backup every night is successful, I cannot do a test restore because it won't allow me to browse the backup.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?  

Dave

David

Friday, February 1, 2019 9:12 PM
  • Hi,
    Based on the complexity and the specific situation, we need do more researches. If we have any updates or any thoughts about this issue, we will keep you posted as soon as possible. Your kind understanding is appreciated. If you have further information during this period, you could post it on the forum, which help us understand and analyze this issue comprehensively.
    Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding and patience.
    Best Regards,

Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 4, 2019 2:44 AM
  • As a workaround, can anyone tell me how to mount the backup USB drive in another computer (say, a Windows 7 or another Server 2012) and get access to a couple of folders for which I need the data?

Also, is there a way I can safely plug this backup drive into another server running 2012 Windows Server Backup, and browse the folders to restore?

Dave

David

Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:13 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Yes you should be able to restore from another server that has the Windows Server Backup feature, when restoring just select from a "Remote shared folder".

I would suggest you test this with some folder/files first.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:19 PM
  • When I plug in the USB drive, run Windows Server Backup, then Recover, then select "A backup stored on another location" I can select "local drive" (in which the USB backup doesn't show up, even though it has a drive letter) or a network location (which this USB isn't).

How do I get around this?

Dave

David

Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:28 PM
  • You could try creating a share on the USB drive and store the backups there, then Recover > Remote Shared folder.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:30 PM
  • That appeared to work 0 it recovered a couple of folders, but now Server Backup status is just saying "Initializing..."

David

Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:41 PM
  • Sorry, that zero in my previous message was supposed to be a dash. "-"  Any ideas?

Dave

David

Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:44 PM
  • I canceled the operation and now it is sitting on a "please wait..." message, seemingly forever.  :-(  Should I eventually just unplug the drive?

Dave

David

Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:52 PM
  • You could try using the wbadmin cmdlet instead, might be faster.

Adding a backup target:

wbadmin enable backup -addtarget \\server\share\

or

wbadmin enable backup -addtarget G:

Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:57 PM
  • Thanks Leon, really appreciate the help.

What about the current operation not cancelling, but rather sitting forever on "please wait"

Dave 

David

Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:59 PM
  • Give it some more time, it nothing happens, safely unplug your USB drive.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 9:02 PM
  • I disconnected the USB drive, but the message "please wait" stayed.  I terminated wbadmin in the task manager, but when I re-enter wbadmin and select "recover", it says "another recovery operation is in progress."

I ran "wbadmin get status" in CMD but it reports that there are no recoveries in progress.

Dave

David

Thursday, February 7, 2019 9:21 PM
  • Might have to perform a reboot entirely.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 9:38 PM
  • Hi Leon, sorry, I had to leave the office where I was doing the restore. I restarted the server and I'll be back in there tomorrow morning. I'm  wondering about the wbadmin "addtarget" command.  This doesn't wipe or initialize the disk, correct? The backup on the USB drive is the only backup of some critical files, and I need to make sure that they aren't at risk with this command you're recommending.

Thanks very much.

Dave

David

Thursday, February 7, 2019 10:44 PM
  • The wbadmin enable backup -addtarget only adds a backup target, it doesn't touch the backup data.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 10:46 PM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Monday, February 11, 2019 8:34 AM
  • I was having the same issue on windows server backup stored on an internal drive and this is what i did to fix it and give me access to my backup data again

add a drive letter to your backup drive through drive manager

login to the local administrator account

enable view hidden files and hidden system files

take ownership and give full permission to SYSTEM account and administrators of the folder particularly the hidden folder "system volume information"

after that has been applied try restore backup

these steps worked for me after trying loads of things to fix the problem.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:57 AM