Slow scrolling with Insert Picture image but not as Watermark. Why? RRS feed

• Question

• If I have an approximately 500kb image inserted to a MS2010 Word (docx) page, scrolling up and down the page becomes unacceptably slow. If I use the Watermark option for the SAME image I experience no slowdown at all. Isn't the watermark just an image anchored to the header? I've tried manually anchoring an image to the header (instead of the Watermark option) and encountered similar problems.  I've tried with both TIFF and GIF with the same results.

1.Does Word handle images inserted using the Watermark option differently from the Insert Picture option? I notice the Right-Click Menu is slightly different for images inserted using Watermark vs Insert Picture.

2. Is there anyway I can speed things up,perhaps emulating the Watermark behavior?

I've also been experimenting with PageColor->FillEffects->Picture but it seems the picture is always detected as 96dpi by default (it is actually 300dpi) and I cant change it.

Any ideas people?

• Edited by James EJ Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:39 PM Changed title for clarity
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:35 PM

All replies

• Probably should add that compressing the image (slightly) does not help and I don't believe the Watermark option compresses the image either.
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:42 PM
  • I cannot replicate the problem.

If you insert the picture as a Custom Watermark and you uncheck the Washout box in the Printed Watermark dialog, the picture will have its original "intensity" and not appear washed out as in the case of a normal watermark.

I am not sure how you are determining the dpi when you use the Page Color>Fill Effects>Picture method.

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"James EJ" wrote in message news:4b8f23b9-b9e0-4739-96fc-f8c437987351@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

If I have an approximately 500kb image inserted to a MS2010 Word (docx) page, scrolling up and down the page becomes unacceptably slow. If I use the Watermark option for the SAME image I experience no slowdown at all. Isn't the watermark just an image anchored to the header? I've tried manually anchoring an image to the header (instead of the Watermark option) and encountered similar problems.  I've tried with both TIFF and GIF with the same results.

1.Does Word handle images inserted using the Watermark option differently from the Insert Picture option? I notice the Right-Click Menu is slightly different for images inserted using Watermark vs Insert Picture.

2. Is there anyway I can speed things up,perhaps emulating the Watermark behavior?

I've also been experimenting with PageColor->FillEffects->Picture but it seems the picture is always detected as 96dpi by default (it is actually 300dpi) and I cant change it.

Any ideas people?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:41 PM