Cannot open database 'XTrans' requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed user 'domain\user' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, everybody.

After successfully installing SCM 2.0, I'm getting an error when launching it:

Cannot open database 'XTrans' requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed user 'domain\user'

I'm suspecting it may be because I ran SCM setup with the machine in a Workgroup, and later joined the domain. So when I log on with a domain account, it is not recognized by SCM's SQL Express.

I would uninstall SCM and reinstall it now with the domain user account.  Any other thoughts?

I wish I could use the same SCM VM for different AD forests, but I'm fearing I will have to have one VM machine for each... (which means more disk space).

Hope you can help.

Thanks and regards,

Mario

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:16 PM

Answers

• When installing SQL Express permissions are assigned only to the user who performed
    the installation. Permissions can be changed after SQL Express and SCM have
    been installed.  This is accomplished by logging into the account that installed
    SQL Express/SCM and launching cmd as an administrator and performing the steps
    below. 

• Instead of individually adding accounts, I would recomend adding an AD Group so people can be added to the group as necessary.
    • The instance name will be microsoftscm if the SQL Express installation was done while installing SCM.  Otherwise the default instance of SQL Express is sqlexpress.

c:\users\administrator>"c:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\Sqlcmd" -S servername\instance name <Carriage Return>

1>Exec sp_grantlogin domain\account <CR>

2>Go <CR>

1>Sp_addsrvrolemember  'domain\account', 'sysadmin' <CR>

2>Go <CR>

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:44 PM

All replies

• Mario;

I'm not sure what the limitations are, I focus on the contents of SCM (the baselines, security guides, scripts, etc) but don't spend much time dealing with the installer or SQLExpress. I've asked Sachin, the test manager, to take a look at this thread and discuss with his team.

Kurt

Kurt Dillard http://www.kurtdillard.com

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:58 PM
  • I just ran into the same thing and went so far as to reinstall with no luck before finding this thread. What I did find was the instance is named "MICROSOFTSCM" but the SQL script calls out "XTrans" as the name.

Frank

Thursday, March 8, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Hello Everybody,

I am getting the same problem.  Does anybody have a solution?  I installed SCM on a windows 7 machine in a workgroup.  The first user, namely me, doesn't have any problems.  If I setup new local users none of them can start SCM, because of the above error, repeated here for ease of reading:

Cannot open database "XTrans" requested by the login.  The login failed.

Can anybody help me with this please?

Raharney

Friday, May 4, 2012 8:29 AM
  • I think the problem is that you guys installed with one account and are now trying to access SCM with a different account. Its not a multi-user application, so these types of issues will arrise in certain circumstances. Jim, the newest member to our team, suggested that you change the properties for the shortcut, click "Change settings for all users," enter admin credentials when prompted, then enable "Run this program as an administrator." A less secure work around would be to disable User Account Control completely.

• Proposed as answer by Kurt Dillard Monday, May 7, 2012 4:24 PM
    Monday, May 7, 2012 4:24 PM
  • When installing SQL Express permissions are assigned only to the user who performed
    the installation. Permissions can be changed after SQL Express and SCM have
    been installed.  This is accomplished by logging into the account that installed
    SQL Express/SCM and launching cmd as an administrator and performing the steps
    below. 

• Instead of individually adding accounts, I would recomend adding an AD Group so people can be added to the group as necessary.
    • The instance name will be microsoftscm if the SQL Express installation was done while installing SCM.  Otherwise the default instance of SQL Express is sqlexpress.

c:\users\administrator>"c:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\Sqlcmd" -S servername\instance name <Carriage Return>

1>Exec sp_grantlogin domain\account <CR>

2>Go <CR>

1>Sp_addsrvrolemember  'domain\account', 'sysadmin' <CR>

2>Go <CR>

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Can you provide an example of how these commands can be used to add an Active Directory Group (Domai Admins)?
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Shaun;

I'm not sure, since this forum is focused on security and compliance you may not find someone who knows as much about TSQL and SQL Express as Wayne Miller and since that's his first post on our forum I'm not sure when he might see your query. I believe he's in Microsoft Consulting Services, he's not part of our team. May I suggest that you post your questions about managing SQL Express on one of the SQL forums? This might be a good place to start: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlexpress/threads.

Kurt

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:38 PM
  • I encountered the same issue today. The solution was quite simple: Run SCM as administator.

Kind regards, Mark

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 11:08 AM
  • I opened SQL manager, connect to the local sqlexpress database, copied the contents to XTrans.sql ( found in the Microsoft Security Compliance Manager install directory) into the run sql query, ran it, and it created the database.   I was then able to run it.   Running as administrator did not help as the database did not exist.

Networking: It's not just a job, it's an OBSSESION!

• Edited by SGDought Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:34 PM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:34 PM