Updates wrong site. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I just posted a similar question some days ago regarding laptops getting updates from different sites. For example, we have a laptop user who travels regularly to other site in Europe, while docked at other sites he picks up the correct settings from the configured GPO in this instance it specifies Romania as the downstream server to pick updates from. He is docked in Romania, however, although the Reg key specifies Romania he gets the updates from our WSUS server in Sunderland.

The only thing we can think of is that some of our European estate WSUS servers have W2008 boxes while the main one at our HQ and some other sites are on W2012. We know some of the clients display as vista although they are built as windows 10. We believe the client machines are looking in the right place but the updates are not there so they search for the nearest WSUS server that holds the proper updates for the machine, in this case Sunderland.

So I guess the question I am asking is --- If a client cannot find the update while docked at a particular site would it reach out to other WSUS updates servers for their updates?

Any information would be very helpful as we are seeing very high WAN traffic as a result of this issue.

Regards.

Monday, June 18, 2018 6:55 AM

All replies

• Hi czql5v,

Thanks for your information.

Considering your environment is complicated, let’s check WindowsUpdate log firstly.

Please kindly select a normal client and an abnormal client, then check the WindowsUpdate log in both clients. The text file is located in C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate, for Windows 10 client, please run Get-WindowsUpdatelog in PowerShell.
    In this way, we could compare the difference of logs between the two clients.  It would be helpful if you could share your logs information like below. Note: please remember to hide your privacy information.

Hope above information helps.

Best Regards
    Tina Cao

====================

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 7:52 AM
  • Hi Ray,

Thanks I will do a comparission and get back to you. It will probably be next Tuesday.

Thanks for the reply.

Friday, June 22, 2018 7:43 AM