Attach from Recent Items List RRS feed

• Question

• When attaching something in an email I used to be able to go to "Recent Items" and attach from there, but I can not figure out how to do that with Windows 7.  Anybody know if this is still an option?

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:55 PM

All replies

• Hi blusz,

Could you please offer a detail description on the issue? Additional screenshots are appreciated.

Thanks.

Friday, August 28, 2009 6:08 AM
  • I am also trying this and can't find how to do it. Scenario is as follows:

I have worked on a Word document and saved it as usual. I switch to Outlook, compose a mail, and want to attach the recent item. When I click the Attach File icon in Outlook I get the Insert File Folder / Library browser, which includes Favourites / Recent Places, but not the Recent Items list that is visible rom the Start button. So my only option is to navigate to the saved item through the libraries hierarchy.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 11:16 AM
  • I have found my own answer and am posting for the benfit of others ...

In Windows Explorer navigate to  %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\ . Scroll to the top of the Windows Explorer pane, right click on Favorites, and Add current location to Favorites.  The Recent Items list will then be available directly from Windows Explorer.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 11:23 AM
  • Hi Mike

I followed the suggestion and the link for recent items sure enough is now on my favorites bar

as you noted.

But when attaching a e mail recent items does not come up as a option.  I tried putting a shortcut to it

on my desktop and then draging it to the list avail for attachments but it would not drag over to the

location.

Any further suggestions are apprecaited.
    Thank you

Carl Richards
    crl333mry@yahoo.com
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 3:00 AM
  • Dear Microsoft:

These folks are all correct. XP used to have a great feature that Windows 7 now appears to lack. If I have just saved a document in Word and then attach a document to a message in Outlook, I probably want to attach the document I just saved about 90% of the time. Please don't make me hunt for it! The Recent Items option within the Attach File dialog used to give me this capability, but now there's only a Recent Places. Not nearly as good. I may have to hunt through a directory with many files to find which file I just saved.

Is there a way to bring back "Recent Items" within the Attach File dialog? If so, please tell me how. If not, please fix this step backwards in Windows 7.

Thanks,

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:17 PM
  • I figured out how to do this.

I just got a new machine with Windows 7 and yes, the Recent Documents feature when attaching a file to an Outlook email or anything else in Windows was a *very helpful* shortcut for me throughout the years (hint hint Microsoft, sample your customers before removing a feature).

Anyways, I got frustrated as well. Did a "search" and found this thread in this forum. Helpful.

The suggestion from Mike below helped. And if that doesn't work, you can do this.

1. Press the start button

2. In the "Search programs and files" text box, type "Recent Items"

3. On the initial search results, you are not likely to see it, I had to "see more results". It will be listed as a "File". If it does not come up then, "See More Results", change your view to "List", and at the bottom, "Search again in", "Computer". You will want to sort those results by the "Type" column. Then scroll till you see "Recent Items".

4. Click on "Recent Items". This will open a new folder. And this folder, for me, was "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent

5. Drag the icon of the folder in the address bar to the "Favorite" pane on the left side. You will see a "Create link in Favorites" pop up. Then let go.

6. Now, when you do a Insert File, just click on Favorites and you will see Recent Items there. Just like I had before. Hopefully you will too.

Note - I also added Recent Places as well as a possible handy alternative.

Monday, June 3, 2013 8:32 PM