GetString clarification RRS feed

• Question

• Could someone clarify something for me - in the ASP you have GetString where you want to place text to allow for multiple languages:

a) is there any reason why you cannot add a new line at the end of the language files and reference that line?
    b) if the line referenced does not exist in a language file, will UAG just display what I put in the quotes in the GetString command?
    c) can you remap which languages reference which language file?  We want to have french and english only - if you want russian you will actually get english displayed - without having loads of copies of the same file but named for each language?

Thanks --Zuzzy

Saturday, September 3, 2011 11:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Amig@

a) I don't know any reason why that shouldnt't work. Have you tried with a file in the CustomUpdate folder?

b) Yes, the string in quotes is a "default" string in case it cannot be retrieved

c) The assignment of languages to files is mapped in a file called "languages.xml" (or similar). The "language" is retrieved from the language of the browser (en-US for american English). Also, a "default" language can be defined in case there is no file associated to that language

For reference use http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd278147.aspx

// Raúl - I love this game
    • Edited by RMoros Saturday, September 3, 2011 4:12 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Kai Wilke Saturday, September 3, 2011 5:32 PM
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Thanks, I havent actually had a chance to try it as I am not near my lab today, but I figured someone would know already and save me the reconfig and testing - my lab has so many trunks on it that it takes ages to apply, and more importantly I only have clients set to english :)
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 4:13 PM
  • In fact just found the IAG page on it if anyone else ever needs it

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd278147.aspx

Saturday, September 3, 2011 4:20 PM