APP-V Quickbooks 2011 Professional RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a couple problems with sequencing Quickbooks 2011.
    I did follow the suggestions that I found online like [http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2011/05/18/how-to-sequence-quickbooks-2011-using-microsoft-app-v-4-6.aspx]

Here are my issues:

• Reoccurring error message [Title: Crash] [Message: Com Error
    • Issues when creating/opening a new company. I'm pretty sure the problem is because we are using redirected folders. I can log in as administrator which doesn't have redirected folders and it will create a new company on the desktop. Of course this is a domain administrator with more privledges to.
      With redirected folders I get: "You are trying to work with a company file that is located on another computer, but that computer needs additional installation and setup. (H505)" How can I solve this when using APP-V?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hey Quadrantids...I'm back!

Started a thread on Spiceworks and received a variety of interesting feedback, but only one that led anywhere:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/post/1114014

Just launched it for the 2nd time as a virtualized RemoteApp and with only one simultaneous use. So I definitely can't say I've tested it exhaustively. But at first blush, it looks like he's right: ThinApp can virtualize QB.

And it runs! And it stays running! And it doesn't crash!

Since it's Brand V, not Brand M, my further posts will appear on the Spiceworks thread. But I did want you (and any lurkers) to know that it appears to be possible.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 11:50 PM

All replies

• Do the same issues occur if QuickBooks is installed? Which folders are you redirecting?

Twitter: @stealthpuppy

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:30 PM
  • The recipe on here might be of some use to you?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/prescriptiveguidance/thread/0111bd82-46ac-406d-ab5a-3e13656b728f

Blog: www.rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:31 PM
  • The is the exact same thing in the link I posted above :-(
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:07 PM
  • I have not manually installed Quickbooks. I can try that though.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Ok. I installed quickbooks on the same server I was tyring to launch from APP-V.

I ran into the same problem with creating a new file on the desktop with redirected folders. BUT when I logged in as administrator and did it I got the error but it let me change quickbooks into "Multi-User mode". After that I had no problems with redirected folders. I guess it just had to switch the application into multi user mode which I can do during sequencing I guess.

Now I do not get the COM error. So I think the COM error is related to sequencing since APP-V doesn't support it. I wonder if there is a way ti disable that part of Quickbooks if it is not absolutely needed. It also looks like it created a QB User for the database system so that might be the problem. I'm wondering if there is a way around this or convert it to a domain user

• Edited by Quadrantids Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:58 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:55 PM
  • Hello,

Well - we don't know exactly how you setup the package. Compared to the recipe posted - you didn't use the wizard to setup the application.

What version of the sequencer are you using? What version of the client? How did you setup your sequencing machine? What steps DID YOU perform during sequencing? How does your client look like? Whats the final result of YOUR osd-file? What version of Quickbooks are you using?

Since I can't answer any of those questions, here are some general suggestions (that all are stated in the App-V Sequencing Whitepaper);

Sequence on the same OS as your target OS.

Use the latest version of App-V;

Seq

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvclients/thread/d9ebed09-511b-4929-a190-3548a1576934

Client

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvclients/thread/da720557-5316-4f51-a77a-df1858bfe052 

Ensure that you don't have any background activity (such as antivirus scanners, scheduled tasks or similar) when you sequence

Ensure you have the same baseline installed for redistributables on the client as you have on the sequencer.

Understand the application you are sequencing.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:24 AM
  • I am using the latest version of sequencer 4.1 SP1.

Sequencer Specs:

• Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
    • No firewall
    • No AV
    • Windows Updates Off

Terminal Server:

• Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
    • No firewall
    • No AV
    • Windows Updates On

Here is my steps:

• Downloaded Quickbooks 2011 Professional
    • Started installation so I could get the PRO directory from %appdata%\..\temp\........
    • Exited out of installation
    • Downloaded RTM Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable and installed
    • Installed SP1 from the ThirdParty directory of the PRO directory that I copied from %appdata%
    • Installed Sequencer
    • Chose directory Q:\QB2011.PRO
    • Copied inetclnt.dll to that directory
    • Using Sequencer I created a new package and launched the Quickbooks 2011 PRO installation
    • Selected custom for installation
    • Chose "Quickbooks will be installed on this computer"
    • When I completed the installation I used the Sequencer to try to run Quickbooks 2011 PRO.
      Now the only app I launched was Quickbooks 2011 PRO, not the other ones
      When I launched I ran all the updates
      When I close Quickbooks 2011 and it downloads the virtual application or whatever it does it never will complete so I had to terminate [It does this everytime I try and I've tried to sequence this four times now]
    • I modified the package to use RSTP instead of RSTPS
    • I removed the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file
    • I added cmd /c start /wait cmd /c net start QBCFMonitorService to the Quickbooks 2011 PRO OSD file using the Sequencer GUI (Is this even needed anymore??)
    • I saved the package to the desktop
    • I copied to my APP-V management server
    • I created a folder for QB2011.PRO
    • I imported the applications
    • I launched applications on my terminal server

Here are my problems:

• Sometimes get a "CRASH" "COM ERROR"
    • Sometimes Quickbooks 2011 PRO will start launching and then shut it self down like it crashed

I no longer have a problem with saving the database to a remote server using UNC path or redirected folders.

Friday, December 16, 2011 12:47 AM
  • Sorry, I saw that the links were pointing to two different locations so didn't figure they were the same. You should try using ProcMon to see if you can detect any COM3 calls. It's a known limitation of APP-V that COM+ does not work.

Only concern is that it's obviously worked for the fella that did up the recipe. It shutting down on launch would also suggest using ProcMon to see if there was Access Denied for any resource or a file not found...

Try setting LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED=TRUE

• Edited by RorymonMVP Friday, December 16, 2011 12:29 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 12:21 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback! I will try that!

I'm obviously new to APP-V and been doing a lot of reading over the last few days but still trying to grasp it. I've used Xenapp in the past but never for streaming. I will try that and let you know in a few minutes!

Friday, December 16, 2011 2:32 PM
  • Sorry, I saw that the links were pointing to two different locations so didn't figure they were the same. You should try using ProcMon to see if you can detect any COM3 calls. It's a known limitation of APP-V that COM+ does not work.

Only concern is that it's obviously worked for the fella that did up the recipe. It shutting down on launch would also suggest using ProcMon to see if there was Access Denied for any resource or a file not found...

Try setting LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED=TRUE

Alright I set LOCAL_INTERACTION to TRUE.

I am also seeing this error whenever quickbooks just opens and then closes suddenly (doesn't happen to all my test users):

[12/16/2011 09:53:16:920 SRVC WRN] {tid=CB0}
    Failed unregistering callback tracking connected process termination (error: 997).

[12/16/2011 09:53:36:679 ???? INF] {tid=A6C:usr=rwatson}
    An error occurred while opening the virtual registry (section: 9), rc: 07B01F0C-0000004A

[12/16/2011 09:53:36:703 ???? INF] {tid=A6C}
    An error occurred while opening the virtual registry (section: 9), rc: 07B01F0C-0000004A

[12/16/2011 09:53:36:757 SWAP INF] {hap=3AE:app=Microsoft Office Document Cache 14.0.6015.1000:tid=A6C:usr=rwatson}
    Elapsed time for upload: 0.249 seconds

[12/16/2011 09:53:36:783 ???? INF] {tid=4DC:usr=rwatson}

[12/16/2011 09:53:36:789 ???? INF] {tid=4DC}

Now the COM3 error still errors:

I have a capture of ProcMon but don't really see what you were looking for.

Friday, December 16, 2011 4:07 PM
  • Hello,

Did you install all the Visual C++ components on the client where you will execute the package?
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:29 PM
  • Yes I do.

When I google this error relating to Quickbooks I do see people having this problem. Not really finding a good recommendation though. Most of them say uninstall / reinstall .NET 3.5. I have tried this on the terminal server and still doesn't fix the issue.

On a side note,
    I never get the communications error with the domain administrator account, but I can give a user domain admin rights and that user still gets the error. So I don't think it is a privilege issue, but I find that weird. Must be some kind of setting some where?? It could just be a coincidence though.

Monday, December 19, 2011 2:26 AM
  • Hello,

Since the error seems to relate to .NET and / or Visual C++ - is there any difference between how the packaging machine is setup and how a client is setup?

Are there any errors in the application log?

• Edited by znack Monday, December 19, 2011 10:35 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 10:26 AM
  • Here are the things I can think of:

1. Client is domain joined, packaging machine is not
    2. Client has terminal services role installed, packaging machine does not
    3. Client machine has more Visual C++ installations than the packaging machine does (2005, 2008, for other applications etc). Both have the versions needed for Quickbooks though

This is the only error in event viewer for Quickbooks (researching quickbooks knowledge base they say this can be safely ignored though):

The description for Event ID 4 from source QuickBooks cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

QuickBooks
    Returning NULL QBWinInstance Handle

Monday, December 19, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Hello,

Is the process for the service started and running in the background?
    Monday, December 19, 2011 3:34 PM
  • On the client I see:

QuickbooksDB21 that is set to DISABLED (I cannot change it for some reason).

The Processes I see running are: QBDBMgr.exe and QBW32.EXE.

Quickbooks does create a dump file and this is what was in it:

GetPageUrlData failed, server returned HTTP status 404
    URL requested: http://watson.microsoft.com/StageOne/QBHelp_exe/21_0_9_0/4eb45d7b/unknown/0_0_0_0/bbbbbbb4/80000003/00000000.htm?Retriage=1

FAULTING_IP:
    +9d00fa0
    00000000 ??              ???

EXCEPTION_RECORD:  ffffffff -- (.exr 0xffffffffffffffff)
    ExceptionAddress: 00000000
       ExceptionCode: 80000003 (Break instruction exception)
      ExceptionFlags: 00000000
    NumberParameters: 0

FAULTING_THREAD:  000012dc

PROCESS_NAME:  QBHelp.exe

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0x80000003 - {EXCEPTION}  Breakpoint  A breakpoint has been reached.

EXCEPTION_CODE: (HRESULT) 0x80000003 (2147483651) - One or more arguments are invalid

MOD_LIST: <ANALYSIS/>

MANAGED_STACK: !dumpstack -EE
    No export dumpstack found

MANAGED_BITNESS_MISMATCH:
    Managed code needs matching platform of sos.dll for proper analysis. Use 'x86' debugger.

ADDITIONAL_DEBUG_TEXT:  Followup set based on attribute [Is_ChosenCrashFollowupThread] from Frame:[0] on thread:[PSEUDO_THREAD]

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from 6a748e68 to 7579f5be

BUGCHECK_STR:  APPLICATION_FAULT_STACKIMMUNE_NOSOS

PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS:  STACKIMMUNE

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  STACKIMMUNE

STACK_TEXT: 
    00000000 00000000 qbhelp.exe+0x0

SYMBOL_NAME:  qbhelp.exe

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: qbhelp

IMAGE_NAME:  QBHelp.exe

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  4eb45d7b

STACK_COMMAND:  ** Pseudo Context ** ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  STACKIMMUNE_80000003_QBHelp.exe!Unknown

BUCKET_ID:  APPLICATION_FAULT_STACKIMMUNE_NOSOS_qbhelp.exe

FOLLOWUP_IP: *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for QBHelp.exe

QBHelp+0
    10ce0000 4d              dec     ebp

WATSON_STAGEONE_URL:  http://watson.microsoft.com/StageOne/QBHelp_exe/21_0_9_0/4eb45d7b/unknown/0_0_0_0/bbbbbbb4/80000003/00000000.htm?Retriage=1

Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------

• Edited by Quadrantids Monday, December 19, 2011 4:35 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Yup its QBHelp.exe that is causing the COM ERROR. If I go to Help -> QuickBooks Help it will throw the COM ERROR instead of opening the help dialog. Wonder why it is having trouble with APP-V
    Monday, December 19, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Hello,

See it says this in the error code;

EXCEPTION_CODE: (HRESULT) 0x80000003 (2147483651) - One or more arguments are invalid

What are the arguments?

Monday, December 19, 2011 9:20 PM
  • I'm not providing the arguments. That is Quickbooks providing the arguments to QBHelp.exe.

QBHelp seems to integrate with IE? It pulls online data from the website when you search for help or something. It isn't a separate install though.

Monday, December 19, 2011 10:18 PM
  • Hello,

see this guide;

http://blog.gridmetric.com/2011/10/12/quick-guide-for-troubleshooting-some-inf-install-failures-under-appv-sequencer/
    It explains howto identify how an application starts and to see what its arguments are.

Monday, December 19, 2011 10:24 PM
  • Here is the information:

Path:
    [The system cannot find the file specified.]

Command Line:
    Q:\QB2011.PRO\QBHelp.exe -Embedding

Current directory:
    Q:\QB2011.PRO\

Parent:
    QBW32.EXE

Ok so I assume it cannot find the path because you get Access Denied with the Q drive. I've compared it to a working quickbooks and everything looks the same except current directory is c:\Windows\System32\ for the working quickbooks and the Parent is set to svchost.exe.

Thats about what I got out of the article you showed me on what to look for. There wasn't any INF files or anything for QBHelp.exe. There was a config file but nothing important in there that I could see.

The file also DOES exist. I mapped a network drive to \\localhost\q$ and saw the QBHelp.exe file in there.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:27 AM
  • Hello,

What happens if you disable the service during sequencing and start these process manually using the same command-lines?
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:09 AM
  • Let me edit the package and put those modifications in. I will let you know this morning :-)
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:40 PM
  • znack,

You have been very helpful during this adventure but I think im going to have to just try MED-V or remoteapp for quickbooks. I just don't think it is going to work right.

I see a lot of problems when people tried doing it with XenApp also.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:55 AM
  • Quadrantids, reading your thread with great interest; going through the same things here with QB2012. Specifically, QB opens and immediately closes, logging the "Returning NULL QBWinInstance Handle" event in the App log 3 times. Also using Folder Redirection.

If you find a solution, whether App-V or MED-V or "RemoteApp for Quickbooks" (what is that...do you mean VDI?), please come back and post an update.

One thing you did not mention that's been an issue here is that QB setup refuses to run from the Sequencer. I've had to get Sequencer to the point where it SHOULD be running Setup, and then launch Setup from Explorer, outside Sequencer. Was that your experience, as well?

• Edited by JRV529088 Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:08 PM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:03 PM
  • Honestly I can't remember if I tried to run Quickbooks outside of the Sequencer instead of with the Sequencer. I had issues with it not closing out correctly and had to terminate it when using the Sequencer.

I have narrowed down the "CRASH" "COM ERROR" to the QBHelp.exe application. You will notice anytime you try to launch the help you will get this error along with getting it at random intervals throughout using the program. I have yet to narrow down this problem. I wish there was a way to exclude the Help application completely from within Quickbooks.

Let me give it another go around because I would REALLY love to get this working

Also:
    I've noticed in my environment I usually got the opening and closing when launching Quickbooks 2011 Pro. If you launch Quickbooks using the Quickbooks Launcher instead, I usually had no problem. I know that isn't a solution but it may be a work around for you.

After reading about MED-V I noticed it relies on using Virtual PC which I have a problem with. Using RemoteAPP I was thinking of setting up a terminal server, installing Quickbooks 2011 the normal way, and then adding it to the allowed application of RemoteApp. You can choose to install the MSI on your other servers or launch it through the web page. In theory this should work without a problem since it is not being packaged

• Edited by Quadrantids Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:08 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:05 PM
  • You're farther in to this than I am. I'll try using Launcher again but I'm pretty sure it did crashed the same way.

I'd sure like it to work, too! I was looking at the economics of VDI to solve this. Haven't finished the exercise, but it could make my new business unviable. Doing without Online Help won't fly, here, even if it's possible. I need to provide the full desktop UX.

But part of why we need to virtualize QB is Intuit's copy protection. Without virtualization, you can only run one copy of QB per machine. 

I don't know your situation; if you're one company with up to 5 QB users, you're OK. But if you're multi-tenant, as I am, it's a BIG problem.

Worse, I'm hosting QB Premiere, so I have to support all 5 or 6 flavors. One can only run 1 flavor per machine.

So I think we'll need App-V, MED-V or VDI to isolate the QB sessions. MED-V won't be practical, here, either. So that leaves costly VDI.

I need to find a cloud forum somewhere to find out what other service providers are doing to host QB. I'm an MS SP Partner, but MS doesn't offer a forum for that. It would be very useful.

• Edited by JRV529088 Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:28 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:58 PM
  • I tried to sequence it again (Fresh) but launch it outside of the sequencer. Now it just crashes completely and still gets the COM ERROR on the Help menu. Some things just won't package right. Many people that don't use APP-V complain of the COM ERROR and they claim to uninstall and install .NET 2.0 again.

Most people that are hosting Quickbooks are probably using something like Xenapp but not packaging it.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:44 PM
  • I've had no choice but to run Setup outside the Sequencer here, with QB2012. It simply will not run inside the Sequencer. Sounds like you've been able to run QB2011 Setup from within the Sequencer.

Tried QBLaunch. Got an "unexpected internal error" message. This was in a user acct with folder redirection; might have gotten farther without that, but folder redirection is required, here. The ironic part of the message was this: "This should only occur in rare situations." Like, oh, let me guess: When QB is virtualized?<g>

Xenapp in lieu of RemoteApp, perhaps. But XenApp's not enough by itself, any more than RemoteApp is.

Citrix's app virt technology is MS App-V. If the hosting providers are not virtualizing QB, they must have some way to isolate each QB instance, or Intuit's per-machine copy protection will stop them cold. If App-V just won't work, I think all that's left is VDI.

A little good news, though. I did successfully virtualize Quicken Home & Business 2011! Very straightforward; no recipe needed. Not much use to most, perhaps, but I'm targeting micro-businesses, and will be offering QH&B as a low-end alternative to QB, so it's nice I won't have to use VDI for that. Haven't tried QH&B 2012; hopefully won't be much different.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Hey Quadrantids...I'm back!

Started a thread on Spiceworks and received a variety of interesting feedback, but only one that led anywhere:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/post/1114014

Just launched it for the 2nd time as a virtualized RemoteApp and with only one simultaneous use. So I definitely can't say I've tested it exhaustively. But at first blush, it looks like he's right: ThinApp can virtualize QB.

And it runs! And it stays running! And it doesn't crash!

Since it's Brand V, not Brand M, my further posts will appear on the Spiceworks thread. But I did want you (and any lurkers) to know that it appears to be possible.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 11:50 PM
  • That is awesome!

Now on the ThinApp it ran without any problems? What did you have to do to package and make it run right? Did you package it on a 2008 R2 server or Windows 7?

I tried ThinApp once and didn't really like how long it took to open. I will definitely try it again if it worked well.

I have also been reading about a lot of people saying to package quickbooks and the database manager seperately. Did you do this? I'm not really sure how to do this
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:29 PM
  • A few rough edges, but likely soluble; probably should pick this up here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1888446#1888446

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Q, another possibility is Cameyo. It works similarly to ThinApp, and solves at least 1 problem that ThinApp has with QB--though it's premature to say there aren't others because I just discovered it tonight. But the best part about Cameyo is that it's available at my favorite price: Free.

I don't get it; it's not Open Source, and it's not ad-supported. Will be posting that question on their forum. But even if it doesn't last, if it works right now, that's awesome for a startup company like mine.

I think I'm closing in on a solution with one product or the other. Rooting for the $Free solution, now.

Again, check out my threads on the other forums.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:21 AM
  • Hey there. I know this is old but just thought I would tell you I have successfully streamed Quickbooks with Xenapp 6.5 and streaming profiler 6.6. You can stream services now and so far Quickbooks 2011 and 2012 professional have streamed successfully.
    Sunday, July 22, 2012 2:54 PM