none
DPM 1801: Need help moving protection group to new volume RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to move all my protection groups and backups from one volume to another.  I found this article that talks about it, but I'm still not quite understanding how to use it.  I'm hoping someone can help we out.  Here's the article:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dpm/2017/10/24/storage-migration-with-dpm-2016-mbs/

Create a modifiable Protection Group the of the PG the datasource is in.

$pg = Get-DPMProtectionGroup
    $mpg = Get-DPMModifiableProtectionGroup $pg[0]

Get the datasource you wish to migrate, and the volume you wish to migrate it to.

$ds = Get-DPMDatasource $mpg
    $vols = Get-DPMDiskStorage -Volumes

Modify the disk allocation for the datasource, and save the PG.

Set-DPMDatasourceDiskAllocation -ProtectionGroup $mpg -Datasource $ds[0] -TargetStorage $vols[0] -MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM Set-ProtectionGroup $mpg

So if we look at the final command, I don't understand how they got the values for "$ds[0]" and "$vols[0]. Also, in the first section, it looks like they are defining $mpg. How to they get the value for $pg[0]?

In their example, every value is 0. I'm assuming I need to figure out what values to plug in for my server. How do I do that?

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hi!

Basically the values they are using in the example are elements in an array, I will give an example and try to make it clear for you.

If you run $pg = Get-DPMProtectionGroup and then run $pg, you will get a list of all your protection groups in DPM. To choose the a specific protection group in that list you will want to specify its number in the array, to know this you can do like this:

In the screenshot above I created a protection group variable $pg = Get-DPMProtectionGroup.

I then ran the variable $pg to see what it contains, it listed all my protection groups in DPM.

I have three (3) protection groups, I then selected the first element in the array (the first protection group in the list) by writing $pg[0].

Then I listed the second listed protection group $pg[1].

Then I listed the third listed protection group $pg[2].

An array always begins with 0, meaning the first in the list will start from 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5... and so on.

I hope this made it more clear for you!

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by OESTech Tuesday, October 16, 2018 9:51 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 8:16 PM

All replies

• Hi!

Basically the values they are using in the example are elements in an array, I will give an example and try to make it clear for you.

If you run $pg = Get-DPMProtectionGroup and then run $pg, you will get a list of all your protection groups in DPM. To choose the a specific protection group in that list you will want to specify its number in the array, to know this you can do like this:

In the screenshot above I created a protection group variable $pg = Get-DPMProtectionGroup.

I then ran the variable $pg to see what it contains, it listed all my protection groups in DPM.

I have three (3) protection groups, I then selected the first element in the array (the first protection group in the list) by writing $pg[0].

Then I listed the second listed protection group $pg[1].

Then I listed the third listed protection group $pg[2].

An array always begins with 0, meaning the first in the list will start from 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5... and so on.

I hope this made it more clear for you!

Best regards,
    Leon

• Marked as answer by OESTech Tuesday, October 16, 2018 9:51 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 8:16 PM
  • I got it, thank you!!!

So it looks like you're still limited to move one data source at a time like in the GUI.  This is going to take forever. At least in the GUI it's moving really slow.  I'm protecting Hyper-V and each ~40GB VM is taking a couple hours to move.

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 9:51 PM
  • Glad to hear! Yeah unfortunately it's only one at the time, however this can probably be scripted if you know some PowerShell.

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 9:56 PM