Windows Vista fails to install everytime I try it RRS feed

• Question

• If I install Windows Vista (every version and both: upgrade and clean install) everything works fine.

But when he unpacks the files and the progressbar reaches 61 - 85% the computer reboots.

The installation will do a Rollback by the upgrade (all my settings are being restored) and with clean install the computer failes to startup. (It says: Can not find BOOTMGR or sth.)

By clean install I have to reinstall Windows XP, by upgrade, it will reset my settings as they were before TRYING to upgrade.

My system specs are:

AMD Sempron 3400+

Clocking speed: 1,79 Ghz, 512 MB ram

256 MB ASUS Nvidia Geforce 7600GS Silent Graphical memory

A local computerstore says that it is a problem with my RAM memory, but can it be solved without buying new RAM memory?

>>The installation works fine without any trouble at another computer! (That was the first thing I tried out)<<

Regards,

Lex2

Sunday, May 20, 2007 3:09 PM

Answers

• Lex2

Yes, you should see options related to the failure to have run correctly which caused the reboot, eg safe mode, safe mode with network support etc, and lower down the option to stop the automatic restart. My BSOD only stayed on screen for 1second, not long enough to sport the file causing the problem. Even if your issue is different it should highlight what file is causing it.

Once identified then roll-back to XP and deal with the offending application etc then re-attempt the upgrade.

Good luck

Sunday, May 20, 2007 9:03 PM

All replies

• I had the same problem and resolved  as described in

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1599734&SiteID=17

HTH

Stuart

Sunday, May 20, 2007 4:43 PM
  • I do not understand it completely, but as far as I do understand, I have to run Vista Setup, and when the computer reboots hit F8 and then select "disable automatic reboot on failure"?

Is this right? If no, would you please explain me what else works?

Thank you

Sunday, May 20, 2007 8:04 PM
  • Lex2

Yes, you should see options related to the failure to have run correctly which caused the reboot, eg safe mode, safe mode with network support etc, and lower down the option to stop the automatic restart. My BSOD only stayed on screen for 1second, not long enough to sport the file causing the problem. Even if your issue is different it should highlight what file is causing it.

Once identified then roll-back to XP and deal with the offending application etc then re-attempt the upgrade.

Good luck

Sunday, May 20, 2007 9:03 PM
  • Ok, for the ones who reading this and who are dealing with the same problem:

When then computer reboots for the FIRST time hit F8 just after he asks to start the computer from the CD/DVD device.

Then select something like: "Turn off automatic reboot at system error/failure".

I'll post the error I got here as soon as I tried it out...

Monday, May 21, 2007 7:57 PM
  • That's weird...

I started up Windows XP, then I put the disk in my DVD-Rom and selected UPGRADE.

Then:

Copying Files... 100%

Expanding Files... 100%

Unpacking Files... 36% (then reboot)

When the computer restarted I pressed F8 and chose: "No automatic reboot on system error/failure" (or sth. like that)

It continues starting up and then continues unpacking files.

I walked away, to watch some tv with an eye on the computer

Suddenly the computer rebooted, did a rollback, rebooted again (this time Windows XP) and I got the message: "Upgrade can't be completed... ...Please go to the Microsoft website and search for "Upgrade Advisor"".

This is really annoying, if anyone can solve this problem, I really appreciate it!

By the way: are there more people dealing with the same problem?

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:03 PM