Server 2019 - WSUS preventing auto reboot after patching RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I have been doing some patch testing with Server 2019 machines with WSUS.

I am setting same GPO settings which i have used for Server 2008R2/2012R2.

- AuOptions (3) - download patch but notify for install

- and no other special reboot policies. Its a basic policy to patch manually and reboot manually.

One thing i am noticing is that, with server 2019, if you patch the server and leave the reboot pending, the server will self reboot, once it is outside the "Active hours" set (default being 8am to 5pm).

So my question is, is there a GPO policy that will override this Active Hours setting, and prevent the reboot permanently. (Ideally you want to reboot after patching, but i need to know this as a sake of any instance where i need to keep the server pending reboot for some periods).

I have read forums where people are having similar issues, without answers.

There was even one thread where someone had a case logged with Microsoft, and apparently there may be a new policy coming soon, with the feature to only reboot when the reboot button is pressed. Been looking around, and yet to see this new policy.

Thanks

DM

DM

Friday, February 7, 2020 1:27 AM

Answers

• To truely disable auto reboots you have to hack it.

https://techjourney.net/permanently-disable-prevent-automatic-restart-of-windows-update-in-windows-10/

Basically there is a reboot scheduled tasks under UpdateOrchestrator and disabling that will prevent WU from rebooting the server.

• Marked as answer by D_M_K Wednesday, February 26, 2020 2:25 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2020 2:22 PM
  • Hi,

Since this thread has been released for a long time without progress, the following summary is provided for thread follow-up use:

• Issue Symptom
      Any Group Policy can permanently prevent computers from automatically restarting after an update

• Cause
      Technical consulting

• Troubleshooting Steps so far
      It is recommended to add the following Group Policy into the GPO: "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations".
      However, in fact, after the update enters the installation process, the installation and effect of the update can only be completed after completing the necessary restart. The current system includes a group policy that can postpone the update, but a group policy that permanently prevents the restart after the automatic update is not implemented in the experiment.

• Next Step
      It is recommended to enable the following Group Policy, which has already delayed the restart of the automatic update requirement:
      - Specify Engaged restart transition and notification schedule for updates

• Reference Links
      Manage device restarts after updates

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 6:27 AM

All replies

• So my question is, is there a GPO policy that will override this Active Hours setting, and prevent the reboot permanently. (Ideally you want to reboot after patching, but i need to know this as a sake of any instance where i need to keep the server pending reboot for some periods).

Hi DM,

When the following policies are enabled:

• No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations
      (Path: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update\)

Automatic Updates will not restart a computer automatically during a scheduled installation if a user is logged in to the computer. Instead, Automatic Updates will notify the user to restart the computer. If the status is set to Disabled or Not Configured, Automatic Updates will notify the user that the computer will automatically restart in 5 minutes to complete the installation.

Please note, however, that the update can only be installed and effective after completing the necessary restart.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 7, 2020 4:38 AM
  • To truely disable auto reboots you have to hack it.

https://techjourney.net/permanently-disable-prevent-automatic-restart-of-windows-update-in-windows-10/

Basically there is a reboot scheduled tasks under UpdateOrchestrator and disabling that will prevent WU from rebooting the server.

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 2:22 PM
  • Hi,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

Sunday, February 16, 2020 4:57 AM
  • Hi,

Since this thread has been released for a long time without progress, the following summary is provided for thread follow-up use:

• Issue Symptom
      Any Group Policy can permanently prevent computers from automatically restarting after an update

• Cause
      Technical consulting

• Troubleshooting Steps so far
      It is recommended to add the following Group Policy into the GPO: "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations".
      However, in fact, after the update enters the installation process, the installation and effect of the update can only be completed after completing the necessary restart. The current system includes a group policy that can postpone the update, but a group policy that permanently prevents the restart after the automatic update is not implemented in the experiment.

• Next Step
      It is recommended to enable the following Group Policy, which has already delayed the restart of the automatic update requirement:
      - Specify Engaged restart transition and notification schedule for updates

• Reference Links
      Manage device restarts after updates

Regards,
    Yic

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 6:27 AM