Issues with Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool – February 2011 (KB890830) RRS feed

• Question

• I installed all of the updates and then Window said I needed to install “Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool – December 2011 (KB890830)”.  I installed that update. Then Windows said that I needed to in install “Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool – February 2011 (KB890830)” again. It keeps on installing KB890830 for December 2011, January 2011 and February 2011 and never ends.

I have stopped windows updates service and renamed Software Distribution folder and it did not help. Also I have done the following,

Click Computer > Manage > Services > Stop the "Cryptographic Service" and rename the "Catroot2" folder situated in C:\Windows\System32\Catroot to something like say Catroot2X. Reboot. Now run the update/hotfix installer/s again. This action will re-generate a new Catroot2 folder and the updates/hotfixes, should hopefully install OK.

Please help. Thanks.

• Edited by N15545 Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:33 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Has anyone come accross this situation. I have 7 users with the same issue.

Microsoft Answerers, are you'll working on this for a fix?

Thanks,

Nilakshi S. Batuwitage
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:47 PM
  • The people that answer these forums are not Microsoft employees that work on Windows problems.

This is a peer-to-peer forum where fellow users participate in discussions about Windows.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:48 PM