Exchange 2016 installation BSOD on Windows Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Attempting to install Exchange 2016 CU10 on Windows Server 2019 first produced an error that Windows Defender service access was denied.

I uninstalled the Windows Defender feature from the powershell and now it progresses to 25% and the server blue screens with a critical service died NTOSKRNL.

Is there a workaround for this or a potential fix?

Thursday, June 28, 2018 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hi!

As Windows Server 2019 is still under development and not yet officially supported for Exchange 2016.
    (check supported versions here) unexpected results might appear.

I suggest you install it on any current supported operating systems, eventually it will be supported once Windows Server is ready!

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Thursday, June 28, 2018 8:46 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 8:45 AM
  • Shouldn't the mentality be to *actually work through issues* in Server 2019?
    I mean what's the point of the prereleases if nobody at Microsoft is willing to try? 
    No we'll just instantly and without any thinking throw out the "unsupported" card and leave. 
    ::SMH::

Thursday, June 28, 2018 11:16 PM
  • I'm unable to get past the powershell windows defender error even after removing Windows Defender and rebooting. 

Thursday, June 28, 2018 11:17 PM
  • The symbols may not yet be loaded in Windbg but there may be some information in the logs.

To evaluate the BSOD please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use 7zip and onedrive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There are two files for you to find manually:

a) C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter each of the above to find results.

b) dxdiag:  In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Sunday, July 22, 2018 8:04 AM
  • Okay here is how I installed Exchange 2016 on Windows Server 2019 build 17713:

1. Make Domain Controller (Or join existing domain)
    2. Use Regedit to rename key \HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\mpssvc\Security to Security.old
    3. Restart
    4. Run Exchange installation
    5. Restart
    6. Use Regedit to rename key \HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\mpssvc\Security.old back to Security
    7. Restart

• Edited by T_nelson Monday, July 23, 2018 5:11 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2018 3:06 AM
  • T_nelson,
    This reply is OT, but I couldn't find any other way to reach you. 
    I wanted to thank you for your helpful info regarding the "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels\Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic]" fix for Server Manager showing "Online- Data retrieval failures occurred". You really saved my bacon on that one. Thank you!

-Tim Barrett 

Tim Barrett http://www.NoGeekLeftBehind.com

Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:06 PM