How can I protect the contents of the documents without stopping others to change the margin of the header and footer? RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating a word documents and wanna to restrict the changes on a few paragraphs. However, after i finished the "Restricted Editing", some of the users tell me that they can't change the margin of the header and footer (the content of the header and footer are not protected and can be edited). I wanna to create the file with the rights to allow others to edit the margins. May someone help me to resolve this? Thanks in advanced!
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Saugut,

Is it obliged to restrict editing? Or just want to prevent it from being modified by accident?

Here is a workaround if it is the second:

Select the paragraphs that you don't want to be modified by accident, and group them. (In Word 2010, click Developer tab, click Group twice in the Controls group.) This will lock the paragraphs.

When trying to edit the locked field, it will promopt "This modification is not allowed because the selection is locked."

The disadvantage is that, if someone "Ungroup" the paragraphs, they will be editable again.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support
    A new Office has arrived, try it now.
    A beautiful Start. It begins here. Windows 8 and Windows RT.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Edited by Max Meng Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Monday, November 19, 2012 8:48 AM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:30 AM
  • Here is another workaround, by inserting a TextBox form control, add the paragraphs into the textbox, and lock the form from editing.

In Word 2010 or later version, click "Legacy Forms" button and then "More Controls" button, find "Microsoft Forms 2.0 TextBox" and click OK to insert it to the document, add text.

To lock the form, click "Design Mode" botton to enter Design Mode, right click on the TextBox control and click Properties, set the "Locked" proterty to True.

Optionally, modify the Appearance properties to make the textbox looks like normal paragraph.

Exit Design Mode by click "Design Mode" button again. There you go.

Max Meng
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, November 16, 2012 2:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Saugut,

Is it obliged to restrict editing? Or just want to prevent it from being modified by accident?

Here is a workaround if it is the second:

Select the paragraphs that you don't want to be modified by accident, and group them. (In Word 2010, click Developer tab, click Group twice in the Controls group.) This will lock the paragraphs.

When trying to edit the locked field, it will promopt "This modification is not allowed because the selection is locked."

The disadvantage is that, if someone "Ungroup" the paragraphs, they will be editable again.

Max Meng

• Edited by Max Meng Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:32 AM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:30 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestion. It really works on word 2010. However, it will not be working if I gotta save it in 97-03 format. That's my bad! Any suggestion for working on previous WORDS?
    Friday, November 16, 2012 12:31 AM
  • Here is another workaround, by inserting a TextBox form control, add the paragraphs into the textbox, and lock the form from editing.

In Word 2010 or later version, click "Legacy Forms" button and then "More Controls" button, find "Microsoft Forms 2.0 TextBox" and click OK to insert it to the document, add text.

To lock the form, click "Design Mode" botton to enter Design Mode, right click on the TextBox control and click Properties, set the "Locked" proterty to True.

Optionally, modify the Appearance properties to make the textbox looks like normal paragraph.

Exit Design Mode by click "Design Mode" button again. There you go.

Max Meng

Friday, November 16, 2012 2:57 AM