Install SCOM 2012 Agent on a server with SCOM 2007 Console is installed RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day,

I try at the moment to install an SCOM 2012 R2 UR3 Agent to a Server with a SCOM 2007 Console installed.

I had done so far no success, even if I renamed the key in the registry for the SCOM 2007 Console installation.

Is there a way to install the SCOM 2012 Agent?

BR,

Martin

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Martin,

The logic is as below.

For the above you need to uninstall the 2012 / 2012 r2 agent setup on the agent.

Post that you need to push it 1st from scom 2007 r2, Then discover the same agent from scom 2012 / 2012 r2 so it will be multi homed and will report to both versions of SCOM.

So if you will see the SCOM Agent version will change to 7.XXXX in the scom 2007 r2 console

Also check the below

The Agent Management Operation Agent Install failed for remote computer servername.domain.com.

Install account: DOMAIN\account

Error Code: 80070643

Error Description: Fatal error during installation.

Microsoft Installer Error Description:

For more information, see Windows Installer log file "C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\AgentManagement\AgentLogs\servernameAgentInstall.LOG

C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\AgentManagement\AgentLogs\servernameMOMAgentMgmt.log" on the Management Server.

1.  Enable the automatic Updates service…. Install the agent – then disable the auto-updates service if desired.

Gautam.75801

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:15 PM

All replies

• Hi

What error are you getting?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:20 PM
  • Martin,

Update: forget the below mentioned... I should have read your post right. :-S

What key exactly are you talking about? HKLM or HKCU?

Why not considering uninstalling the console first, then install the agent and reinstall the console?

Cheers,

Patrick

----

It should not be necessary to manipulate the registry. You should do an inplace upgrade automatically.

Why decided you to do that instead of updating or uninstall prior installing it new?

The error message would be helpful with the original regkeys, less interesting without.

Cheers, Patrick

Please 'Propose/Mark as answer' if this post solved your problem. http://www.syliance.com | http://www.systemcenterrocks.com

Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:42 AM
  • Good morning,

thank you first for your answers. the error from the SCOM Agent Management Task.

PART FROM THE LOG:

MSI (s) (F8:F8) [08:32:20:698]: Product: Microsoft Monitoring Agent -- The Microsoft Monitoring Agent cannot be installed on a computer on which the Operations Manager management server, gateway server, Operations console, operational database, web console, System Center Essentials, or System Center Service Manager is already installed.

The Microsoft Monitoring Agent cannot be installed on a computer on which the Operations Manager management server, gateway server, Operations console, operational database, web console, System Center Essentials, or System Center Service Manager is already installed.
    Action ended 8:32:20: _AbortCoreComponentPresent. Return value 3.

The thing is, that on that Orchestrator Server we have the SCOM 2007 R2 Console installed. We need that console on that server to trigger runbook for SCOM 2007 R2. But we would also like to have that server in SCOM 2012 Monitored with the Microsoft Monitoring Agent from SCOM 2012.

I know that both SCOM 2007 and SCOM 2012 cannot be installed on the same server, that why I tried to hide the SCOM 2007 Console installation, so the SCOM 2012 Agent setup does not recognize it.

If it's not working we migrate the Orchestrator server (Runbook) on a later date where it fits better.

Cheers,

Martin

Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:42 AM
  • Got it.

What keys did you rename?

Patrick

Please 'Propose/Mark as answer' if this post solved your problem. http://www.syliance.com | http://www.systemcenterrocks.com

Thursday, October 30, 2014 8:02 AM
  • I tried to rename the key's in the installer / uninstaller for the SCOM 2007 R2 Console installation

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\F0F17D624B28B81469CABBE945EC2D38

Thursday, October 30, 2014 1:20 PM
  • AFAIR we look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager

Try to rename that.

HTH, Patrick

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Tuesday, November 4, 2014 11:20 AM
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 2:25 PM
  • Try to deploy Agent first then reinstall SCOM 2007 R2 Console.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer" Mai Ali | My blog: Technical | Twitter: Mai Ali

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Tuesday, November 4, 2014 11:21 AM
    Sunday, November 2, 2014 9:32 AM
  • sorry for the delayed answer I will try today your solutions.

thanks so far

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 11:32 AM
  • Hi Martin,

The logic is as below.

For the above you need to uninstall the 2012 / 2012 r2 agent setup on the agent.

Post that you need to push it 1st from scom 2007 r2, Then discover the same agent from scom 2012 / 2012 r2 so it will be multi homed and will report to both versions of SCOM.

So if you will see the SCOM Agent version will change to 7.XXXX in the scom 2007 r2 console

Also check the below

The Agent Management Operation Agent Install failed for remote computer servername.domain.com.

Install account: DOMAIN\account

Error Code: 80070643

Error Description: Fatal error during installation.

Microsoft Installer Error Description:

For more information, see Windows Installer log file "C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\AgentManagement\AgentLogs\servernameAgentInstall.LOG

C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\AgentManagement\AgentLogs\servernameMOMAgentMgmt.log" on the Management Server.

1.  Enable the automatic Updates service…. Install the agent – then disable the auto-updates service if desired.

Gautam.75801

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:15 PM
  • Good morning,

I finally could install the SCOM 2012 Agent with SCOM 2007 Console installed.

Thank you!

BR,

Martin

Friday, November 14, 2014 8:53 AM
  • Hi Martin,

Do you still have the steps to install the SCOM 2007 Console on the server where we have SCOM 2012 agent?

Thanks,

-Fidelis

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:32 PM