Failed to add distribution group to folder permission list RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a small problem, and I cannot get my head around it. Maybe you have some hints.
    Also I didn't find it reported as a bug. Have you seen this before ?

ENVIRONMENT:

Exchange 2010 RTM Rollup 3

STEPS performed

1. I run the following command in order to give access to a security distribution group on the INBOX folder of the SHAREDMAILBOX mailbox.
    The command fails with the error below.
    I've run this several times. Same result.

[PS] C:\>Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity SHAREDMAILBOX:\INBOX -User "THIS_IS_A_DISTRIBUTION_LIST@domain.local" -AccessRights 'Author'
    The user "THIS_IS_A_DISTRIBUTION_LIST@domain.local" is either not valid SMTP address, or there is no matching information.
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [Add-MailboxFolderPermission], InvalidExternalUserIdException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 9ED408D2,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.StoreTasks.AddMailboxFolderPermission

2. I added an additional e-mail address to that DL, without any underscores "_" and re-run the command.
    Surprisngly it worked !

[PS] C:\>Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity SHAREDMAILBOX:\INBOX -User THISISADISTRIBUTIONLIST@domain.local -AccessRights 'Author'

RunspaceId   : 5940edbd-651e-4d31-8a35-cac94146bdfa
    FolderName   : Inbox
    User         : THIS_IS_A_DISTRIBUTION_LIST
    AccessRights : {Author}
    Identity     : THIS_IS_A_DISTRIBUTION_LIST
    IsValid      : True

3. I removed the permissions, using the e-mail address with underscores and it worked.

[PS] C:\>Remove-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity SHAREDMAILBOX:\INBOX -User THIS_IS_A_DISTRIBUTION_LIST@domain.local
    Confirm
    Are you sure you want to perform this action?
    Removing mailbox folder permission on "SHAREDMAILBOX:\INBOX" for user "THIS_IS_A_DISTRIBUTION_LIST".
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [?] Help (default is "Y"):Y

4. I re-run the command from point nbr 1 and now strangely it works !!!!

[PS] C:\>Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity SHAREDMAILBOX:\INBOX -User "THIS_IS_A_DISTRIBUTION_LIST@domain.local" -AccessRights 'Author'

RunspaceId   : 5940edbd-651e-4d31-8a35-cac94146bdfa
    FolderName   : Inbox
    User         : THIS_IS_A_DISTRIBUTION_LIST
    AccessRights : {Author}
    Identity     : THIS_IS_A_DISTRIBUTION_LIST
    IsValid      : True

Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:44 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

How about you use alias when you run the command Add-MailboxPermission? Just like, Add-Mailboxpermission -Identity SHAREDMAILBOX:\INBOX -User THIS_IS_A_DISTRIBUTION_LIST -AccessRights 'Author'

If the distribution list is new, you should wait for some time and run the command, maybe it needs some time to replicate.

Best regards,

Serena

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Serena Li Friday, March 11, 2011 2:19 AM
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 1:42 AM