Backup Exec 12.5 User interface crash RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone any experience for sequencing Backup Exec Management Console 12.5?

I am using App-V 4.6 and when I sequence the Management console all seems fine 'till I go to restore data by selecting  Device->Any resource-Restore data.  There is a message saying that the management GUI has failed and Ntdll.dll module has thrown errors.

The strange thing is that the virtual XP Pro machine throws no errors at all unless the sequencer itself is running.

When I run the sequencer and while the sequencer is still 'watching' the install, the error occurrs. Also, if I complete the sequence and use the package on a client the same error occurrs.

I have installed .net 2 and MSXML6 locally before sequencing, as these are prerequisites.

If I ignore the error and move the error message off screen the program continues to work fine.  It's just annoying to have the message in the background.

Does anyone more adept with App-V have any suggestions?

Saturday, March 19, 2011 7:55 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the delay in moving this on, but I have found an 'answer'.

I was using App-V 4.6 and have now moved to 4.6 SP1.  It all works perfectly first time. 

With the additional reporting included sp1 I can see there are still issues, but they don't affect the Management GUI.

Thanks for looking at this with me.

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, March 21, 2011 9:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, July 8, 2011 2:20 PM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Does the error occur if you do not have the sequencer running? 
    /Znack
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 8:15 PM
  • Sorry, I wasn't clear in my initial question.

No, if the sequencer isn't running then the error doesn't occur.

The error happens when I run the sequencer, install the app and run the app from the desktop icon, ie before I move on from the initial stage where the sequencer is just "watching" the install.

If I purely install the app on the machine, it all works fine.

Saturday, March 19, 2011 8:26 PM
  • What happens if you deploy the package to the client - does the problem then occur?
    /Znack
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 8:31 PM
  • I have just re sequenced the package because I think I miss-unerstood your question. I started the sequencer and during the monitor stage, when I run the app an error occurs. If I stop App-V monitoring (cancel the sequence) then the app still fails when I then run it. If I run the sequencer, install the app (and it fails when tested) and continue to the point of deployment, the app fails in exactly the same way on clients.
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Hello,

During installation - are there are components installed not suited for virtualization? 
    /Znack
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 9:37 PM
  • Only .net 2 and MSXML6 as previously mentioned.  I installed these locally first.
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, those are two prerequisites that you identified - but are there any components installed not suited for virtualization?

Not discussing prerequisites - but something layed down during the installation? 
    /Znack
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 12:00 PM
  • Sorry for the delay in moving this on, but I have found an 'answer'.

I was using App-V 4.6 and have now moved to 4.6 SP1.  It all works perfectly first time. 

With the additional reporting included sp1 I can see there are still issues, but they don't affect the Management GUI.

Thanks for looking at this with me.

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, March 21, 2011 9:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, July 8, 2011 2:20 PM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:10 AM