none
Event ID 2147485861 The DFS Replication service stopped replication on volume C RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I was forced to hard power down my 2012 Essentials server a couple of weeks ago as it was completely locked up and unresponsive.  It came back up fine and is currently functioning, except since that time I am getting this error.

The DFS Replication service stopped replication on volume C:.
    This occurs when a DFSR JET database is not shut down cleanly
    and Auto Recovery is disabled. To resolve this issue, back up
    the files in the affected replicated folders, and then use the

ResumeReplication WMI method to resume replication.

It is a single guest server on a VM Esxi host.  There are no other servers in the domain or on the VMware host.  It is a single server.  Thus I am confused as to why any of my folders would be replicated.  In any case, it says to backup the replicated folders, and then run the WMI method to resume replication.

I don't know where to find whatever folders are being replicated (so I can back them up) as I have never set up replication of any kind. Further where I don't know exactly what the WMI method is and what it does, I am hesitant to run it.

Does anyone have any insight on this issue, and or suggestions?

Thank you.

Friday, August 18, 2017 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you searched the 'net for such as:

The DFS Replication service stopped replication on volume C:.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Saturday, August 19, 2017 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to run a WMIC command in order to resume replication:
    wmic /namespace:\\root\microsoftdfs path dfsrVolumeConfig where volumeGuid="<GUID>" call ResumeReplication

Note:
    Using command line “mountvol” to check volume GUID.

Detail description/step you may reference “DFSR event ID 2213 in Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012”:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2846759/dfsr-event-id-2213-in-windows-server-2008-r2-or-windows-server-2012

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 21, 2017 8:11 AM
  • Yes, googled it a lot. Came up with many confusing results.
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:27 PM
  • Hello Eve,  Thanks for the reply.

I believe I have the guid for the volume, it is reported in the error itself.  But my main questions remain.  

1.  How do I find which folders are replicated so I can back them up?  Further research indicates that DFS is not included with 2012 R2 Essentials. See link below.

Link to another post re this issue

2. I also still question why I (supposedly) have DFS in the first place.  As I mentioned above, this is a single, standalone  server.  No other servers in the domain.  Why do I have DFS?  Where would they replicate to?

3. Is this command safe to use?  

4. What are the risks?  

5. Do I have to have all users off the system?

6.  How do I find  parameters?  /namespace:\\root\microsoftdfs path dfsrVolumeConfig where volumeGuid="<GUID>"

Here is a screen shot of the services/roles installed.

Thank you for any further assistance you can provide. Services and roles

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:44 PM
  • Hi,

1>>
    Distributed File System Replication is listed as supported for Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, please check the tab in blog “Differences Between Windows Server Essentials And The Windows Server Essentials Experience Role”:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ausoemteam/2015/06/25/differences-between-windows-server-essentials-and-the-windows-server-essentials-experience-role/

2>>
    You can use Server Manager – Add Roles and Features Wizard to check installed roles which are included with File and Storage Services. By default on my test Essentials Server, DFS Namespaces are installed, DFS Replication is not installed.

DFS Replication (DFS-R) is a service in the File and Storage Services role. It provides a means of efficiently replicating folders—including those referred to by a DFS namespace path—across multiple servers and sites. If there is no other file storage/system on the network, you may just disable/uninstall it.

>I was forced to hard power down my 2012 Essentials server 
    Unexpected shutdown database recovery, which enables automatic recovery after a loss of power or an unexpected stopping of the DFS Replication service. When DFS Replication detects an unexpected (dirty) database shutdown, such as after a power outage or service termination, it automatically validates the database against the file system and then resumes replication normally, with no files arbitrarily losing conflicts.

Quote from blog “Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 — Improved DFS Replication”:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/storageserver/2013/10/08/windows-storage-server-2012-r2-improved-dfs-replication/

3,4,5>>
    Please back up system status and important data before any change. Doing this at no-production time. 

6>>
    Using command line “mountvol” to check volume GUID.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:16 AM
  • Hello Eve and again, thank you for the reply.

I am wondering... Do I even need the DFS namespace and  DFSR services?  Can I just stop the two services?  As mentioned this is a single, standalone  server.  No other servers in the domain.  Do I need these services for anything else?   If not, why not just shut them off?  Does something internal to Essentials depend on them?

Thoughts?

Thanks. 

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 5:29 PM
  • Hi,

>Do I even need the DFS namespace and  DFSR services?  Can I just stop the two services?
    On my test Essentials Server, DFS Replication is not enabled by default. Of single DC/Server environment, you may just disable/uninstall it.

For DFS Namespace service, it should not be disabled on your DC. It typically requires very little CPU and memory to service requests, even from numerous clients. Also, realize that Group Policy processing requires issuing DFSN referrals to clients that attempt to access the SysVol and Netlogon shares. Sysvol and Netlogon are specialized namespaces that Active Directory automatically manages.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, August 24, 2017 8:12 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, August 28, 2017 10:13 AM
  • Hello Eve and thank you very much for the follow up.  Unfortunately, I am going to be unavailable for the next several days and I am hesitant to take this action when I expect to be away. I plan on doing it next week and will report back.  Thanks again. 

Monday, August 28, 2017 6:58 PM
  • Hi,

It’s my pleasure. Also thank you for taking the time to have an update about the status. 

If above reply is helpful, you can click “Mark as answer”. If you have more question, just reply to me.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 9:19 AM