Windows Media Center stutters while playing VOB files RRS feed

• Question

• I have my movie collection stored on the hard drive of a computer connected to my TV via HDMI.  The movies are stored in VOB format.  I'm using a Dell Studio MT 550 (if memory serves) running Vista 64-bit.  I have an ATI Radeon 3400 series graphics card, and I just finished installing the most recent Catalyst Center software for it.  I believe the driver version was 11.10.

I used to be able to use Windows Media Center 11 to play back the stored movies.  Every once in a while, one of them would stutter (video, not audio), and usually only during the trailers but not the actual movie.  Sometime in the last month or so, the stutter started happening on every movie, including movies that I know did not previously stutter.  It even happens on the video of people playing pool that runs in the WMC setup wizard.  To more clearly define the "stutter", it looks like a ghost image of a previous screen shot is flickering over the current screen while the movie continues to run.  Note that this only happens if I'm running WMC in full-screen mode.  Unfortunately, if I don't run in full-screen mode, I effectively turn my 46 inch TV into a 32 inch TV since I can't manually resize the window to mimic full-screen mode.

I don't use this computer for anything else, and the only changes have been Microsoft's security updates, and new DAT files for McAfee Antivirus.  I have even tried disconnecting from my router and disabling my antivirus software, but it had no effect.  Any idea how to correct it?

• Moved by Ken Warren Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:18 PM off topic for Windows Home Server forums (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting!

What will happen if you play other media other than VOB files with full screen?

From your description, I noticed that the issue started to happen fully after installing Microsoft's security updates and DAT files for McAfee, if it is correct, uninstall them to check the result. If many, system restore can be under consideration.

Meanwhile, I noticed there is a legacy driver for Windows Vista 64 bit. You can install it instead of the 11.10 version to check the result.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 8:44 AM