Start Menu and multiple user accounts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have set up multiple user accounts on my home PC, one for myself and one for my wife. Since I am a gamer and my wife DEFINITELY is not, I did not want her start menu to be cluttered all the games I geek off on. Under Win XP it was simple to remove shortcuts from the common start me and thereby remove them from my wife's menu. However, in Win Vista and Win 7, I cannot see where the start menu links, specific to a user are stored?

Can anyone point me in the right direction (user customisation in Win Vista and Win 7 has taken a big step backwards in my opinion).

Thanks
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 1:33 AM

Answers

• Type "shell:common start menu" into InstantSeaarch or Windows Explorer to be taken to the directory containing Start Menu shortcuts for all users and "shell:start menu" to access you own. Alternatively, you can RMB on the "All Programs" button in the Start Menu.

• Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, July 13, 2009 1:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by gvandongen Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by gvandongen Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:28 PM
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:21 AM

All replies

• Type "shell:common start menu" into InstantSeaarch or Windows Explorer to be taken to the directory containing Start Menu shortcuts for all users and "shell:start menu" to access you own. Alternatively, you can RMB on the "All Programs" button in the Start Menu.

• Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, July 13, 2009 1:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by gvandongen Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by gvandongen Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:28 PM
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:21 AM
  • Thought that the answer was wrong but proven wrong. The RMB on the All Programs item only allows you to change the common start menu items. There does not appear to be an intuitive way to customise the start menu for each individual user.

Is there something I am missing?

By the way - thanks Vistaline for your help.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:33 PM
  • The RMB on the All Programs item only allows you to change the common start menu items.
    The first item labeled "Open" will take you to your own start menu folder.

There does not appear to be an intuitive way to customise the start menu for each individual user.
    Type "shell:start menu" to access your own folder and go to the address below to customize any other users Start Menu.

C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Is there something I am missing?
    Maybe.

A hidden object in any users start menu with override the same object in the common start menu. So, if I created a folder called "Office" in my the common start menu, by default all users would see this folder and its contents. If I go into my own start menu folder and created an object called "Objects" and hide it, these will be hidden from me (unless I run with hidden files showing).

:-)
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:25 PM