Screensaver a step backwards RRS feed

• Question

• In XP, using the Photos screensaver which displays a slideshow of user photos, it was possible to pause the slideshow.  It was also possible to have it display the filename and path of each image as it displayed.

Vista's screensaver has dropped both of these features, and they are sorely missed!  Earlier today, a wanted image that I thought had been deleted from the system by persons unknown popped up in the screensaver.  We have many thousands of images though, so without knowing at least the file name we are still screwed.

Is it unreasonable to expect that software features will IMPROVE when you buy a new version?

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:54 AM

Answers

• Boyscout

There is an easy fix for this. If you still have a system with XP installed or access to another XP system.

Open Windows Explorer on the XP system and navigate to: C:\Windows\System32.

Locate the 'ssmypics.scr' file and 'copy' it to an external media, such as a USB Stick.

Move the USB Stick to the Vista system and move the file to the Desktop. Rename the file to 'ssmypics2.scr'.

Move the 'ssmypics2.scr' file to the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Go to the Screensavers component in Vista and you will see the 'My Pictures Slideshow' in the list of screensavers. This screensaver will work in Vista the same, exact way it did in XP, with all of the same options.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:06 PM

All replies

• Boyscout

There is an easy fix for this. If you still have a system with XP installed or access to another XP system.

Open Windows Explorer on the XP system and navigate to: C:\Windows\System32.

Locate the 'ssmypics.scr' file and 'copy' it to an external media, such as a USB Stick.

Move the USB Stick to the Vista system and move the file to the Desktop. Rename the file to 'ssmypics2.scr'.

Move the 'ssmypics2.scr' file to the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Go to the Screensavers component in Vista and you will see the 'My Pictures Slideshow' in the list of screensavers. This screensaver will work in Vista the same, exact way it did in XP, with all of the same options.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:06 PM
  • It is not unreasonable to expect this ... unless you are in the MS universe.  Anyone that has been a customer of MS for long is very familiar with this story.  I have used these products since MS DOS1.3, and there has always been a better quality OS, but I use what customers pay me to use.   Most people get a third party screen saver slideshow from download.com or the like.   Download.com has lots of freeware to replace the useless MS utilities ... downside is you have to spend time to research them ;~(.

Upside, You'll probably like the 3rd party stuff better if you do your research.

Ask MS to "upgrade" you to XP ... they have a policy to do this for "power" big corporate accounts ... just not us as loyal users.  I know dozens of people that would gladly relinquish their Vista licence for an "upgrade" to XP.

good luck,
    ..ajm
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Feel free to let Microsoft know how you feel here http://wfp.microsoft.com/
    Monday, December 15, 2008 6:10 PM