none
Unable to delete checkpoint

Question

• I have a VM running Windows Server 2008 R2 previously hosted on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V host. Eventually exported prior then imported after the host was upgraded to Windows Server 2016.

Unfortunately, we can no longer delete any checkpoint of the VM with the error message, "The operation failed because the file was not found."

There are event logs recorded by "Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin" in Event Viewer and here are the Event IDs: 14026, 20924, 20864, 14320, 15070, which basically looking for a differencing disk.

Running the following command indicate that there are a few VM Snapshots with missing ParentCheckpointName of and ParentCheckpointId.

"Get-VMSnapshot -VMName TEST-VM | format-table name, ParentCheckpointName, id, ParentCheckpointId"

I tried creating the missing AVHDX file using the filename indicated by the event logs and used VHD Inspect to make sure parent AVHDX file exists but when I try to delete the checkpoint, Hyper-V Manager looks for another AVHDX file and the first one created is deleted automatically.

Can you please help.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 5:36 PM

All replies

• check point primary 1- steve

check point delta 1 - steve

check point delta 2 - steve

check point delta 3 - alan?

• Edited by The Grim Wednesday, January 24, 2018 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 5:42 PM
  • Hi Ariel Coloma,

According to your description, seems the chain between the differencing disk and the parent disk is broken, if so, I'm afraid the avhdx files can no longer be merged to parent disks.

Please "Inspect" the differencing disk, check if it can find the parent disk:

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:03 AM
  • Thanks Anne!

Yes, parent disk is present.

There are actually 3 virtual disks attached and all of them have their parent disks intact.

Monday, January 29, 2018 6:13 PM
  • Hi Ariel Coloma,

Please try to use powershell command to delete the checkpoint, check if it could work:

Get-VM vmname | Remove-VMSnapshot

Then check if the avhdx files are merged to the parent disks in folder.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:54 AM
  • Hi Anne,

I got this error when I try to delete the checkpoint. This is similar message when using Hyper-V Manager to delete the same.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-VMSnapshot -VMName QA-DIS-2K8-SS -Name "6015 (Web) - (1/19/2018 - 4:58:46 PM)" | Remove-VMSn
    apshot
    Remove-VMSnapshot : Deleting '6015 (Web) - (1/19/2018 - 4:58:46 PM)' failed.
    The operation failed because the file was not found.
    At line:1 char:86
    + ... -SS -Name "6015 (Web) - (1/19/2018 - 4:58:46 PM)" | Remove-VMSnapshot
    +                                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (:) [Remove-VMSnapshot], VirtualizationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ObjectNotFound,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveVMSnapshot

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 4:11 PM
  • Hi Ariel,

>"I tried creating the missing AVHDX file using the filename indicated by the event logs and used VHD Inspect to make sure parent AVHDX file exists but when I try to delete the checkpoint, Hyper-V Manager looks for another AVHDX file and the first one created is deleted automatically."

Manually created avhd files would not work.

If the snapshot could not be removed through the command, we could right click on the checkpoint and export, then we import and get a new VM.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 9:43 AM
  • Thanks Anne!

I already tested that prior to reporting this issue.

Let me see if we can afford to loose those other checkpoints.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 3:09 PM
  • Hi Ariel,

Just to check if you get any progress with the issue.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, February 5, 2018 2:35 AM
  • Hi Ann,

So far no progress to report. We are still unable to delete checkpoints although we can create. I checked all VMs on the host and found 27 more VMs with missing ParentCheckpointId.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:07 PM
  • Hi Ann,

I tested  at least 4 of those newly found VMs that have missing ParentCheckpointId but I cannot reproduce the issue where I can create a checkpoint but cannot delete it. And I can export specific checkpoints but not the whole VM. So really its not the missing ParentCheckpointId that is causing the issue on the two previously reported VMs. I'll keep investigating but please provide some suggestions/workarounds/solutions here.

• Edited by Ariel Coloma Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:08 PM
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:07 PM
  • Hi Ariel,

I have the same issue and were you able to fix it?

Thanks

Christian

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:14 AM
  • I often get this from time to time as well. Big problem!
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 4:38 PM
  • Good afternoon, I am confronted with a similar problem, the best option is to export the virtual machine to a new location, then remove the old machine and spoil it in the same place. The only thing I wanted to do the bias in addition to save the files "Virtual Machine" to another location. If you delete the virtual machine, the "Virtual Machine" files will be deleted.
    Saturday, August 25, 2018 3:36 AM
  • This worked for me on a Windows 10 Hyper-V.  Thanks!
    Friday, January 11, 2019 7:54 PM