No Audio Device Is Installed RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, i'm using a hp pavilion zd8000 laptop and this is the error message that i'm getting  NO AUDIO DEVICE IS INSTALLED, i have looked through a few threads and have really seen nothing that helps me so could someone please help, I'm also having problems getting the real time protection to work with the CA security that comes with the Visat RC1 Build 5600, any help would be great. thanks

Friday, October 27, 2006 7:28 PM

Answers

•  

I had the same problem after upgrading from Vista Premuim to Vista Ultimate.

This resoved it:

1. Uninstall Sigma Tel Audio Program.
    2. Doenload latest driver from dell: http://support.euro.dell.com/support...WW1&hidlang=en
    3. Install new driver.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 3:06 PM

• MY FIX for DV9700 AMD Home premium SP2

Hi,

I've had the No Audio device problem for about one month. I've been through dozens  of threads looking for a solution and accidently found one last night. First of all I believe this problem is triggered by an automatic update. I have an HP DV9700. About 2 months ago I upgraded to a larger and faster disk. So I cloned my original disk and replaced it. When the audio quit working I installed my old disk and my system booted up with the sound. The PC was fine something was wrong with the OS. Within a few minutes of reinstalling my old disk automatic updates kicked in and the sound died on my old disk.

I have been through the process of installing the Microsoft UAA Bus driver and reinstalling my audio driver many times. 

Last night I noticed I could not install the latest version of the HP Health Check support library. I was getting installshield errors. I discovered that on x64 the Windows Installer can get wedged and the Microsoft repair method doesn't fix the problem on x64. Search for Aaron Stebners weblog for the title "Repairing the Windows Installer service on a 64-bit OS" for more details. 

His repair steps fixed my sound and it's perfect. 

1.Click on the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK
    2.Run %windir%\system32\msiexec.exe /unregister
    3.Run %windir%\syswow64\msiexec.exe /unregister
    4.Run %windir%\system32\msiexec.exe /regserver
    5.Run %windir%\syswow64\msiexec.exe /regserver
    6.Restart the computer 

FYI I am running Vista Home Premium with SP2. 

Monday, May 31, 2010 3:47 PM

All replies

• I have an HP Pavilion zd8000 as well and am experiencing the exact same problem. What was weird was that it was fine for over a month after I installed Vista, and then one day, poof, no sound.

My system tray shows a volume control with a red X on it and although my device manager says the device is working properly, no sounds come out, and the volume mixer complains that "no audio device is installed"

I tried removing and reinstalling the device but it just reverts to the same problem. Help us!

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:41 PM
  • I built my own system but I have the same exact problem. what should i do?
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 4:58 PM
  • I am having the exact same issue.  Happend for me after I updated drivers.

I also built my own system.  I am running windows vista Ultimate 64 bit.

I was using the onboard realtek HD audio drivers.    Now I am trying to use the Audigy 2 ZS Gamer card I had sitting around.  both give the same thing even when device manager has no problems.

Any suggestions?   anyone Bueler?

Saturday, May 5, 2007 9:04 PM
  • same issue.

x-fi extreme music. worked fine one day it said that error. everything is fine in device manager and I do have sound and can manipulate x-fi settings from the x-fi conrtol panel...

Friday, August 10, 2007 11:13 PM
  • see this

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1400/1076254284_ebe247cb02_b.jpg
    Friday, August 10, 2007 11:25 PM
  •  

I had the same problem after upgrading from Vista Premuim to Vista Ultimate.

This resoved it:

1. Uninstall Sigma Tel Audio Program.
    2. Doenload latest driver from dell: http://support.euro.dell.com/support...WW1&hidlang=en
    3. Install new driver.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 3:06 PM
  • That didn't work for me.  This is an incredibly frustrating issue - has anyone else been able to solve it?

Thursday, September 27, 2007 11:15 PM
  • A nasty virus forced me to use HP system recover which meant re-installing EVERTTHING - I had sound up until I installs SP2 - I now have the same problem everyone has here - no audio device!  I have searched hi and lo in forums with no fix to be found.  and yes .. I have reloaded every possible driver etc.

Has ANYONE ever fixed this?  This thread is filled with souls who have the same complaint with no one from Microsoft whose addressed this.

Anyone?  Help.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 4:54 PM
  • I like everyone else is having the same problem. I had a pci sound card originally when the problem started, then went to another pci card to see if my card was shot, still no luck, and now i just tried going back to my on-board, and still doesnt work.  I built my pc myself, and it is currently running vista enterprise x86.  Has anyone found a solution?  I work with two computer support experts and neither of them have any idea what could be wrong.

Thursday, November 1, 2007 5:32 AM

• MY FIX for DV9700 AMD Home premium SP2

Hi,

I've had the No Audio device problem for about one month. I've been through dozens  of threads looking for a solution and accidently found one last night. First of all I believe this problem is triggered by an automatic update. I have an HP DV9700. About 2 months ago I upgraded to a larger and faster disk. So I cloned my original disk and replaced it. When the audio quit working I installed my old disk and my system booted up with the sound. The PC was fine something was wrong with the OS. Within a few minutes of reinstalling my old disk automatic updates kicked in and the sound died on my old disk.

I have been through the process of installing the Microsoft UAA Bus driver and reinstalling my audio driver many times. 

Last night I noticed I could not install the latest version of the HP Health Check support library. I was getting installshield errors. I discovered that on x64 the Windows Installer can get wedged and the Microsoft repair method doesn't fix the problem on x64. Search for Aaron Stebners weblog for the title "Repairing the Windows Installer service on a 64-bit OS" for more details. 

His repair steps fixed my sound and it's perfect. 

1.Click on the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK
    2.Run %windir%\system32\msiexec.exe /unregister
    3.Run %windir%\syswow64\msiexec.exe /unregister
    4.Run %windir%\system32\msiexec.exe /regserver
    5.Run %windir%\syswow64\msiexec.exe /regserver
    6.Restart the computer 

FYI I am running Vista Home Premium with SP2. 

Monday, May 31, 2010 3:47 PM
  • waw  good instructions it worked first time :)  thankyou
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:54 PM