Duplicate user icons in Welcome Screen - After Windows update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everybody,

I've scoured the internet and some other sources on this issue and I just can't seem to find a fix for it. This is my first account and post here as you can see I need help!

Background on Environment: We have a Parent domain with a child domain that all of these systems live in. We have Server 2008 and 2008 R2 domain controllers. The workstations are on Windows 7 Enterprise with IE8 and IE9 mix.

Over this last weekend March 30-31st We applied critical Windows Security patches to our desktops and laptops (about 500 of them). We have a mix of Dell Laptops and Desktops on various "up to date" models. When we came in on Monday we found that some of the user icons in the Welcome screen have duplicated. Right now we have 20 workstations that are reporting this including our entire IT department. There could be more people out there with this issue but so far none have reported it. I have 2 test systems one laptop and one desktop and those are unaffected. The user accounts are fully functional and this is not preventing logins at the welcome screen it just duplicates them. It also shows duplicates it on the lock screen as well.
    We do not have any finger print devices installed either via software or drivers. We also do not have any facial recognition software as well. Our desktops don't even have those features possible on these models.

Nothing other than the Windows updates happened. I've tried to uninstall the updates on 3 of the systems and that did not change it back.
    I'm not able to post links or images until my account is verified. I'll update this post or make a reply when I can with the pictures.

One thing I
    did find is this post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/08a0083f-c206-40a8-9ebb-7bf6a0eca0c5
    Jake tells a user to look at the SID and rename the later entry. I'm unsure
    what to rename but there doesn't seem to be a duplicate entry in this area.<o:p></o:p>

Pic of the issue:

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:07 PM

Answers

• Looking at your screenshot, it appears you are using the EmpowerID Password Manager.  We have been seeing this same issue, and I found that the issue is this application, along with KB2798162.  Removing the update doesn't resolve the issue.  The fix I have found is to remove the password manager and reinstall it.  (you don't even need to remove the update) 
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:50 PM

All replies

• I don't know why it happened but I suspect why is %public%\Desktop and %userprofile%\Desktop both have the links in them.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:15 PM
  • Hi Ty,

Thanks for your response! I'm not sure I fully grasp your answer. Are you talking about HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders? If so I only have 1 Desktop entry and it's set to %USERPROFILE%\Desktop

Under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Shell Folders desktop entry I have C:\Users\username\Desktop in there. Is that not correct?

I've also added a link to a simlar issue and the picture of my issue.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:25 PM
  • I was talking about the paths you would access those two items from explorer or a command prompt.

I have no idea why this is happening.  I realize my original post was confusing.  Your screenshot and a reread of your post makes me realize I was not answering the right question.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

• Edited by Ty Glander Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:07 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 10:55 PM
  • Hi Ty,

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I understand the public desktop and my user desktop. But this issue is on the Welcome Screen and lock screen of the computer. I'm not sure what "link" I'm looking for in the desktops.

Ah! Saw the edit. Thanks I'll take a look and reply to this.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:00 PM
  • No problem. Edits are the way to go :)

After looking again I do not see a duplicate path in the ProfileImagePath on any of keys in the profile path. The SIDs are also not duplicated with any of them as well. I guess I understood it the first time but it doesn't apply to this situation.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:13 PM
  • Hi,

If the system restore is not turned off, you can try to restore the computer use the previous point and check the result.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 6:46 AM
  • Good Morning and thanks for your reply.

I have a test computer I can do the restore on and our helpdesk lead is sick today. So I'll run it on 1 desktop and 1 laptop to see the results. After the restore happens I'll let you know.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Hi Tracy,
    I did a system restore to 3-29-13 - before the windows updates were applied. On the 2 computers: 1 came back fully functional the other lost its connection to the domain. I tried a 3rd one and it came back normal.

All 3 computers stopped the duplicate icons in the welcome screen. I then applied the windows updates again and they're no longer duplicating the welcome screen icons.

My next question is how can I implement a fix? Manually go to the 50 reported cases (more than we had yesterday) of the issue and run a system restore? Is there some underlining cause I can look at and some sort of format I can script this fix in?

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Hi all,

I still haven't received an answer about this question as far as a mass deploy to my 500 users. The system restore does seem to work but I can't seem to shake the notion that there is an underlining cause or a better way to fix this.

Monday, April 8, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, this issue might be cause by one of the third party applicaiton. I searched from our internal database and found quite a few customers experienced this issue, and they found almost 90% above is related with Third party applications. such as FastPassCorp A/S, finger printer(you mentined you didnt install) or cyberlink youcam, when you installed the update, it enabled the application service. however, could you please help me to confirm if the issue as the same issue in clean boot:

Following are the detailed steps about clean boot:

--------------------------------------

1. Log on to the computer by
           using an account that has administrator rights.

1. Click Start, type
           msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the
           System Configuration Utility

1. On the General tab, click
           Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check
           box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

1. On the Services tab, click to
           select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable
           all.

1. Click OK, Choose Don’t show
           this message again and then click Restart.

1. Please check if the issue is still there.

If you want to start Windows normally after you do the test, Click Start, type
    msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System
    Configuration Utility. On the General tab, click Normal Startup. Click OK,
    Choose Don’t show this message again and then click Restart. Please tell me if
    there is any error message

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:03 AM
  • Hi Yanna,<o:p></o:p>

Thank you
    so much for responding to my post and helping me out! <o:p></o:p>

As I stated we don't allow our users to use finger printing scanners or web cams so we do not have any of the following installed on our systems.<o:p></o:p>

FastPassCorp A/S, finger printer, cyberlink youcam<o:p></o:p>

I followed your instructions and the double icons on the welcome screen issue remained. Do you have any other recommendations or steps I can follow?<o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Hi Everybody,

It's been a couple days since I've gotten a reply. Is there any way to give this post some more visibility? Thanks!

Friday, April 12, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the late response,

Please try the following steps:

1. In Search programs and files (Windows 7) area, type in regedit, and press Enter.

2. If prompted by UAC, click Yes (Windows 7).

3. In Registry Editor, go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

4. Please check the path in the SID entries.

5. Rename the later entry.

Please let me know the result. Thank you

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:35 AM
  • Hi Yanna,

On my original post I put a link to this article that helped somebody else. I don't think it applies to this issue.

I have 7 keys under the ProfileList. The first 3 are system accounts. The other 4 are user accounts. There is 1 key on my computer that has C:\Users\UpdatusUser as the profileimagepath. But on the other systems it doesn't show. The SID is all random between the 4 user accounts. Please give me further details how to continue.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Hi,

I had a tech talk with my colleagues in my team meeting, and one colleague shared this resolution with me since he had a customer experiencd the same issue as yours, Please try the following steps and see if this will work for this issue: 

1. Ask which of the duplicate accounts the customer normally
    logs on with and logon with that account

2. Open Control panel, Double click User Accounts
    3. Choose one of the duplicate accounts to change
    4. Change the picture of the account choosen
    5. Apply settings and log off
    6. Record which account
    was changed (normal or duplicate) logon with the normal account
    7. Open Control panel, Double click User Accounts
    8. Delete the account that is not the normal account Choose to NOT TO DELETE FILES
    to prevent deletion of data that may be needed in the future 

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:01 AM
  • Hi Yanna,

There are not duplicate users in the control panel "User Accounts" so I cannot follow your steps you outlined.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:11 PM
  • Hi,

I will do further research on this case, I will try to update you as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Have a nice weekend.

Friday, April 26, 2013 8:51 AM
  • I did more research, and it seems all th possible cause we have listed above. I am going to consult an escalation engineer and see if they have any ideas.

I will let you know.

Friday, May 3, 2013 9:19 AM
  • I am having the same issue. RE-imaged 2 Motion tablets from WinXP to Win7. One is fine and the other is having the issue described above.

The problem tablet I ran an update on all devices which included a finger scanner and a "DocCam" but I have now uninstalled both but the problem persists. 

I will keep watch here in the hope something is found but am planning to re-image as a fall-back. :(

Thanks, Granville

Monday, May 6, 2013 11:40 PM
  • Yanna,

Have you received any reply from the escalation engineer regarding the duplicated user account icons?  I have also encountered a user that is experiencing this issue. 

Thank you for your efforts,

Moncus

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:31 PM
  • Ok, FYI, I reinstalled Win7 on my problem PC leaving out the camera software and the finger print reader driver and it is working as expected.

This doesn't address your main issue but it does seem to point to where the issue lies.

Thanks, Granville

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:54 PM
  • Hi,

I have posted all of the possible cause for this issue. such as :FastPassCorp A/S, finger printer(you mentined you didnt install) or cyberlink youcam。 I got the same result from our escalation engineer. all of the possible causes I have listed here. have you checked all of the possible causes?

Friday, May 10, 2013 6:22 AM
  • We have no FastPass Corp A/S, Finger printing, cyberlink you cam or anything else mentioned in this forum post so far.

I can’t simply format and reinstall 600 computers at this point, but I’m glad to see you were able to Granville!

I want this issue resolved more than anybody can understand with the amount of issues it's caused internally for us.

Does anybody have any other options or ideas to try?

Friday, May 10, 2013 3:56 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean all of you 600 computers are experiencing this issue at the moment? However, I just send your issue to our discussion group, and help someone will have some ideas. I will let you know the result once I get it. Thank you

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:09 AM
  • Hi Fixed,

I've experienced the exact same problem of double logon icons with two machines in my environment (Windows 7 SP1 32-bit machines, different hardware, one's a laptop, one's a desktop, the images are similar but not identical).  After some work at this end we were able to narrow the cause down to Microsoft patch KB2798162.

I suspect our symptoms are the same as yours:  The account logon icons double up intial login and on the lock screen (so it makes no difference if someone's logged in or not).  A user account also appears twice on the credential check if I access the box remotely via UNC path: \\<machinename>\c$

Uninstalling KB2798162 did not rectify the issue -- which is unfortunate because that's the bit you need and I have no answers -- but I did confirm that reverting the machine to a restore point before the patch was installed did resolve it.

So for now all I can say is avoid installing KB2798162.

Thanks,

Gavin

Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Hi _Gavin,

Thanks so much for your post. I've checked our systems and we current do not have KB2798162 installed on any of our systems as it's not enabled in our patch deployment.

On that note I was able to install KB2798162 on one of our computers without the double icons and it did in fact give that computer double icons. The uninstallation of that patch did nothing and I had to do a system restore to get it back to 1 icon.

By that test I confirm there seems to be an issue with KB2798162 and Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 32-bit on our systems as well. Too bad it's not my particular issue.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:48 PM
  • Hi Yanna,

We have about 450 computers with this issue and about 50 computers that do not have this issue.

Thanks for resubmitting for ideas! I look forward to your reply.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Looking at your screenshot, it appears you are using the EmpowerID Password Manager.  We have been seeing this same issue, and I found that the issue is this application, along with KB2798162.  Removing the update doesn't resolve the issue.  The fix I have found is to remove the password manager and reinstall it.  (you don't even need to remove the update) 
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:50 PM
  • JoshB,

As I stated in my post above we do not have KB2798162 installed on our computers.

I decided to uninstall the EmpowerID Password Manager anyway on one of my test systems and that in fact did remove the double icons. I'm going to let the script auto install the password manager to see if they come back and I'll reply to this after it installed in about an hour.

Thanks for the tip!

Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

I got reply from our escalation engineer, he asked me which update exactly you installed that caused this issue. He said the same thing, after installing the Windows update, some part of driver was activated by the update. We need to trace which registry keys the Windows update modified. He suggested me to tell you to open a SA case with Microsoft, we can capture logs to do further analysis to find out which related files caused this issue.

I apologize that I can't give you any further advice. :-(

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:30 AM
  • Update: Uninstalling the EmpowerID Password Manager and reinstalling it has resolved the issue. A big thank you to JoshB for suggesting this as it's resolved my issue.

I've had a case open with Microsoft about this since opening this forum post and JoshB's answer is what solved it.

Thank you to everybody who put the time into helping me resolving this issue.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 5:07 PM
  • We had this issue as well. In our case the fix was to use regedit to delete a registry key located here:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\Credential Providers

Specifically, I noted that this identical key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\Credential Providers\{25CA8579-1BD8-469c-B9FC-6AC45A161C18}

{Data: PanCredProv}

Appeared under both Credential Providers and a Credential Provider Filters

Deleting the whole key located under Credential Providers while leaving the key located under Credential Provider Filters fixed the duplicate Windows 7 user icon issue.

By chance, I discovered this fix after I had read the following article about Credential providers, though in our case, the problem and solution was different than the issue covered here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/64927/cleanup-your-windows-7-login-screen-and-remove-unwanted-logon-items/

Steve R

• Proposed as answer by Riam16 Thursday, February 1, 2018 6:48 PM
    Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:24 PM
  • This reply wound up as the Answer for me. In my case we had two identical Dell Precision T5610's. One workstation would display the last logged on user twice on the Welcome screen, the other would not. Also, when switching between profiles, there would be a 30 second pause as the system appeared to be trying to start some some of biometric authentication service. After 30 seconds, it would present the option to wait another 30 seconds, or "logon without biometric functionality". We would have to logon without biometric funcationality to get into Windows. Neither workstation used a finger print reader or other biometric login device. 

The workstation displaying duplicate entries had the following registries keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\Credential Providers\{2A16DF2F-490B-4F2B-8C68-21EF46FCCC37}]
    @="DigitalPersona Password Credential Provider"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\Credential Providers\{3ADC7042-51AF-4D0F-BD1D-4D6965A77323}]
    @="DigitalPersona Fingerprint Credential Provider"

After backing up, then deleting the two registry entries, then restarting, the duplicates disappeared.

Monday, May 4, 2015 4:40 PM
  • Thanks Steve, this worked for me too :)
    • Edited by RajShree75 Tuesday, June 12, 2018 10:50 AM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2018 10:50 AM