Outlook 2010 Error 0x80040605 accessing e-mail account/data files settings RRS feed

• Question

• I would be grateful if anyone could possibly advise as to how I can resolve the following errors which I am encountering using Microsoft Outlook 2010 64-bit running on Windows7 SP1 64-bit.

I receive the following error whenever I tried to view the settings for any mail accounts through File > Info > Account Settings or through the Mail control panel.  I also receive the same error when trying to view the settings for any data files:
    "an unknown error occurred: Error 0x80040605"

I have also tried to repair the pst and ost using scanpst as well as deleting the ost file and restarting outlook.  I would also appreciate it if you could advice how can I compress the ost file as it does not have the setting option when I I tried to view the settings for any mail accounts through File > Info > Account Settings or through the Mail control panel

I am accessing my outlook under safe mode as it crashed whenever I try to start it.

Thank you in advance for your time and support.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's your email account, IMAP or POP?

Please close Outlook client, go to Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Add, then setup this problematic account in new profile. Set "When starting Microsoft Outlook, use this profile: Prompt for a profile to be used". Use this new profile and confirm if the issue can be fixed.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by DigitalRebel71 Wednesday, March 13, 2019 5:40 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DigitalRebel71 Wednesday, March 13, 2019 5:40 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 7:44 AM
  • Hello,

You can try the following methods to resolve the error 0x80040605:

1. Open Outlook >> File >> Info >> Account Settings >> Download Address Book.

2. Some Office components might get corrupted or deleted. Follow the steps to resolve this:
    Go to Control Panel >> Programs and Features >> Repair the installation of Office.

Know how to repair Outlook, please follow the link:
    http://www.repaircrashed.com/outlook/

3. It might have corrupted the Outlook Profile, so you have to create a new profile.
    Visit the link to create a new profile:
    http://www.msoutlookware.com/basic-tips/introduction-of-outlook-profile.html

4. Right click on Outlook (.exe) file >> Go to Properties >> Click on Compatibility > Uncheck all the boxes

To access Outlook (.exe), follow the path:
    C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14

Thanks & Regards,

Kelvin Howard

Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:45 AM