none
Automatic refresh RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to know if actually we can refresh our MAP automatically every day, in order to get the full list of the PCs in the company. I found in the forum someone saying that it doesn't exist in the version 5.5 but did you developped this aspect of the software?

Regards,

Hugo

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:42 PM

Answers

• The MAP database is cumulative, but it will not overwrite data it has already collected. Each inventory scenario has a data set associated with it, and there is a lot of overlap between scenarios. When a scenario is selected, MAP expects to collect the data in that data set. Once MAP has collected a piece of data from that data set from a computer, it does not query that computer for that data again. If all of the expected data is collected, then MAP will skip that computer in subsequent inventory runs.

If you were to choose a different inventory scenario that overlaps with the first scenario, but it also has data not previously collected, MAP will try those new queries on all current and previously discovered machines, but it will skip any queries that are part of the overlap and had been collected successfully in previous runs. MAP tracks these data points on a computer by computer basis. There is no way to “refresh” the data. If something in the environment changes, the only way to pick that up is to create a new database within MAP (File > Select databases) and run a new scan.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, April 7, 2014 10:44 PM
  • I'm sorry that you feel this free tool is useless, but MAP is meant to be a data collection tool for assessing your environment and assisting with planning projects, not a network management tool. That would be System Center. If you have made changes and would like to see the result of these changes, simple create a new database within MAP (File > Select databases) and run a fresh scan.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Hug's Monday, May 19, 2014 10:14 AM
    Friday, May 16, 2014 12:38 AM

All replies

• The MAP database is cumulative, but it will not overwrite data it has already collected. Each inventory scenario has a data set associated with it, and there is a lot of overlap between scenarios. When a scenario is selected, MAP expects to collect the data in that data set. Once MAP has collected a piece of data from that data set from a computer, it does not query that computer for that data again. If all of the expected data is collected, then MAP will skip that computer in subsequent inventory runs.

If you were to choose a different inventory scenario that overlaps with the first scenario, but it also has data not previously collected, MAP will try those new queries on all current and previously discovered machines, but it will skip any queries that are part of the overlap and had been collected successfully in previous runs. MAP tracks these data points on a computer by computer basis. There is no way to “refresh” the data. If something in the environment changes, the only way to pick that up is to create a new database within MAP (File > Select databases) and run a new scan.

Monday, April 7, 2014 10:44 PM
  • Does Microsoft ever plan on releasing an update that will allow updating of the inventory? 

We constantly have changes within our environment and having to compile multiple inventory runs to obtain new info is VERY time consuming.  We have multiple domains, multiple Unix and Vmware password groups so we have to run nearly 20 different inventories to obtain a full set of data.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:48 PM
  • So it's a bit useless to make a tool in which you can't refresh data, even if i'm not using it in the right way. If we supposed that some guys installed some new soft, how can you know if you have to migrate their computers... 

Do you have a true tool with which we can make an inventory of a company, automate it, refresh it, and from which you can collect some data?

Because with this one, it's quite hard...

Thank you in advance,

Hugo

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 1:21 PM
  • I'm sorry that you feel this free tool is useless, but MAP is meant to be a data collection tool for assessing your environment and assisting with planning projects, not a network management tool. That would be System Center. If you have made changes and would like to see the result of these changes, simple create a new database within MAP (File > Select databases) and run a fresh scan.

• Marked as answer by Hug's Monday, May 19, 2014 10:14 AM
    Friday, May 16, 2014 12:38 AM
  • It is true that it is a "data collection tool", but to have to redo a full scan just to correct a problem in a collection doesn't seem really a good idea. There should be a better way to do it, without installing SCCM.

If I am trying to do an assessment, It is likely that I don't know exactly what is in the environment.

NPitacco

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:30 AM
  • The best i was able to come up with was a stored procedure to truncate the tables in the database and an autoit script to run through the inventory process.  I recommend an account with a non expiring password to perform the inventory with so you're not updating the autoit script.  You can set the autoit script to run as a scheduled task and get basically what you need.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 1:12 PM