none
I compromised everything on my PC, naively. This may be the wrong forum. RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, so I've got to admit that I made an extremely naïve, rookie mistake about 10 days ago. I allowed my chief email address and password to be stolen and I take full responsibility. The "thief" had free reign with my computer for, I think 6 hours. This email was also attached to my iPhone and, by a stroke of luck, my Apple ID had been disabled, by me, a week earlier. Also, I had no credit card attached to iTunes, which the thief tried to exploit but could not (IDK why), but I quickly attached a bogus credit card to my Apple account, whether it could do any good at that point or not. I backed up all of my data and deleted all personal files from my computer, then deleted iTunes. I'm in my mid-forties and, for one reason or another, missed most of the tech/Internet revolution, as many of you can probably tell. Anyway, I recently finished my BA, which was begun in 1990 and I was greatly affected, during the last 3 semesters of the degree program, by my lack of computer literacy so when I finished, I started a two-year degree program at our local community college. It is IT/Computer Science/&Security(embarrassingly) and I'm about 36 hours into the program. If anybody out there can remember being at this point and can empathize, I would greatly appreciate some information/experience/knowledge from persons who have more knowledge than myself- and, indubitably, this will be most people. I certainly don't need anyone else to tell me how irresponsible and downright stupid this oversight was [of me]!! I have kicked my own butt sufficiently for one occurrence. It should be noted that I have removed the offending email account from this device and my iPhone and I'm trying to think of any way that the infiltrator could have left [more] backdoors open to reenter at a later date. I've got all new email addresses and have saved no passwords. I found about 15 obvious traps that "he" laid to try and get me to reveal more info but I deleted/uninstalled the openings. He had me in a home group, which included him of course, but I have removed myself from the home group, stopped all sharing, and my computer is basically bare-bones right now. I'm worried about advanced sharing though. This is about the extent of what I know how to do and I know that much of it was in vain. If anyone can help me to keep this from occurring again or has suggestions to close any backdoor that he may have left open, please let me know. Again, I would appreciate it if responses came from mature, empathic people only, lol. Thank you!
    • Edited by NETGEAR60 Tuesday, June 6, 2017 7:56 PM
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 7:46 PM

All replies

• If you have files backed up perform a clean install so that you start with a fresh system.  Also record your applications and save your bookmarks for each browser.

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste these commands

1) winver (in the pop up view your windows build and version and post in the thread)

2) sfc /scannow

3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4) chkdsk /scan

Obtain a flash drive that you can format.

Create a bootable windows 10 iso:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

What is the make and model of your computer?

Each computer manufacturer has a F key that allows you to boot to a device.

For HP computers it is the F9 key.

To perform a clean boot you would then power on your computer and repetitively click the F9 key and then a menu appears that allows you to choose the boot device and you choose the USB.

Once you boot to the Windows 10 iso you navigate through the menu to perform a clean install.

You will delete the partitions and format the drive.

Then you will install a new copy of Windows 10 version 1703.

Once it installs you will need to perform windows updates.

Then you will need to go to your computer manufacturer's web site and enter the computer's product number or serial number.  Then choose the operating system.  Then download and install up to date drivers for your computer's configuration and operating system.

Then reinstall applications.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:51 PM