Need recomendations for SCCM 2012 hierarchy RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are planning implementation of SCCM 2012 in our environment. SCCM will be used for patching, OSD, software distribution, SW and HW inventory, and reporting.

We have main headquarters and three branch offices at three geographical locations connected to main HQs with 2, 10, 10 mbps links. Every branch office has more than 50 remote locations with slow network connections to it. There are more than 400 remote locations with slow links in total. Every remote location needs OSD with PXE. Every Branch office and remote location has no more than 300 clients.

Do we need secondary sites, having in mind link speeds from branch offices to main HQs and no more than 250 DPs per site restriction (i guess, we could use new SP1 pull DP option)? We want our hierarchy to be as simple as possible. We were thinking about Primary site with roles distributed between few virtual servers in our main office and a secondary site at every branch office (before SP1).

In my point of view, pros of secondary - dedicated SUP for every geographical location; client data throttling. Cons - secondary site server becomes single point of failure; there is no possibility to have state migration point at remote location assigned to a secondary site.

What would be Your choice?

• Edited by Saulius_M Monday, June 10, 2013 11:51 AM
    Monday, June 10, 2013 11:48 AM

All replies

• Based on that you have 400 remote locations with up to 300 clients, I'm guessing that you have over 100 000 clients, which means that you need to use a CAS. If you have less than 100 000 clients, no need for a CAS and a CAS could be added later if/when needs for it is a fact.

No of primary

So with that said I would say that you probably should go with a single primary (since you say "no more than 300 clients per remote location") with four MPs in that site.

MPs and Secondary

After that I would direct you to your networking guys to solve how the network layout really is in order to place secondary sites where routing allows to save bandwith (upstream status messages from clients to MPs).

PXE

Every remote location that needs to perform PXE should have a DP with PXE support. Unless the office could do with just an offline boot media or Windows To Go/prestaged media (in other words, a/some spare PCs). Typically small remote locations (1-50) is okay with this depending on your/their field of work. Could be nice to have in other scenarios as well. Depending on your routing and Azure based DP could be benifical here as well (requires that Internet traffic isn't routed throu a HQ/same way as the traffic to your "HQ DP" or something like that)

SQL

Last but not least, keep SQL Server on the same box as your site server.

Tim Nilimaa | IT Expert at Knowledge Factory | Please remember to mark this answer as helpful if it helped you.

Monday, June 10, 2013 12:44 PM
  • Sorry for not writing overall clients count. There is about 6000 clients only. There are three branch offices with ~300 clients and 2, 10, 10 mbps links to HQs, and 400+ small ones (5-50 clients) with 1- 2 Mbps links. PXE boot is a requirement.

• Edited by Saulius_M Monday, June 10, 2013 1:32 PM
    Monday, June 10, 2013 1:23 PM
  • I'll recommend (with the limited amount of information) to install a Primary with 3 secondary sites in the branch officies and remote DP's in the other locations (id you have local servers). Other recommendations is to look into branchecache and cloud distribution points.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Monday, June 10, 2013 7:15 PM
  • All remote locations have local servers. Cloud based DP's is not an options because of company policy. I guess we will go with 1 primary (Main office  geographical location) and 3 secondaries (branch geografical locations) design.

Will client use secondarye's site management point if it is on secondary's site geographical location but remote from secondary site, when distribution point added to client's content boundary group is:

• site system of primary site
    • is pull distribution point with pull source - secondarys's site server distribution point

• Edited by Saulius_M Tuesday, June 11, 2013 10:21 AM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 10:21 AM