none
Resource Usage View in Project 2010, need to view actual hours per resource per project. RRS feed

• Question

• In previous versions of project if you looked at the Resource Usage chart it would show you total actual hours per resource for the project plan currently open.  However in Project 2010 it shows you total actual hours per resource across all projects.  If you expand a resource it will then show a detailed view but you have to manually add each of the items they worked on for your desired project to get the total hours worked for just that 1 project.  Is there a smart way to do this or to make it behave like it used to?

Thanks,

Trent

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:24 PM

Answers

• TrentK --

You are seeing the default behavior of Microsoft Project 2010 in a Project Server environment.  Here�??s how to change that:

1.  Launch Microsoft Project 2010 and connect to Project Server, if prompted.
    2.  Click File > Info > Manage Accounts > Configure Accounts.
    3.  In the Project Server Accounts dialog, SELECT the Choose An Account option in the lower left corner of the dialog.
    4.  Click the OK button.
    5.  Click the Exit button to exit the application.
    6.  Launch Microsoft Project 2010 again.

In the Login dialog, notice the Load Summary Resource Assignments checkbox, which is currently selected.  This option, when selected, is why you see assignment hours in all other projects in the Resource Usage view for the resources in any enterprise project that you open.  DESELECT the Load Summary Resource Assignments checkbox and then click the OK button.  In the Resource Usage view, you will see only the hours your resources are assigned in any projects you have open currently.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:45 PM

All replies

• TrentK --

You are seeing the default behavior of Microsoft Project 2010 in a Project Server environment.  Here�??s how to change that:

1.  Launch Microsoft Project 2010 and connect to Project Server, if prompted.
    2.  Click File > Info > Manage Accounts > Configure Accounts.
    3.  In the Project Server Accounts dialog, SELECT the Choose An Account option in the lower left corner of the dialog.
    4.  Click the OK button.
    5.  Click the Exit button to exit the application.
    6.  Launch Microsoft Project 2010 again.

In the Login dialog, notice the Load Summary Resource Assignments checkbox, which is currently selected.  This option, when selected, is why you see assignment hours in all other projects in the Resource Usage view for the resources in any enterprise project that you open.  DESELECT the Load Summary Resource Assignments checkbox and then click the OK button.  In the Resource Usage view, you will see only the hours your resources are assigned in any projects you have open currently.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Dale thank you, it is good to hear from the author of the rather large Project book our department shares.  :)
    I am sure that would work but we are using MS Project Server 2010 with windows NT security.  So everytime I go to the project server website it knows who I am and then when I open a project plan in Project Professional it opens it up using my account credentials, even if I have done the "configure accounts-> choose an account" process outlined above.  I cannot get it to show the Login dialog screen.

I do have admin access to the project server site, is there a place in "Server Settings" that I can make the change for the "Load Summary Resource Assignments" ?

Thanks!!

Trent

• Edited by TrentK Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:43 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Trent:

Dale gave you the exact steps to fix the issue, did you try them? The other way to access these is to go to Start > Programs > All Programs and expand the Microsoft Office folder, then expand the Microsoft Office 2010 Tools folder and choose Microsoft Office Project Server 2010 Accounts item. In the When Starting section at the bottom, select the "Choose and Account" option.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, I opened up Project 2010 Professional today without going to the web app first and that caused the login dialogue box to open which allowed me to uncheck the box dale described above.  Now I am able to see total actual hours for the project per resource per month.  Thank you.

It should be noted I was not able to get that login dialogue box to open when I was launching the projects in professional from the web app.

Monday, July 16, 2012 9:42 PM