Server 2008 R2 and office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to find out how the Server 2008 R2 integrates with office 365. Are there specific documentations on how to properly set it up and which features can remain inside the environment of the server and which office 365 will handle on its own.

Thank You

Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Office 365 is a cloud based solution.  What integration/functions on site where you looking for?  Have you visited their web site and looked at the support links to contact a rep?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/online-software.aspx#fbid=r5GQpI8CZNH

Visit anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.

anITKB facebook youtube
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:22 PM
  • Office 365 is NOT server 365. It is for email (Exchange), collaboration (SharePoint) and communications (Lync).

You can use ADFS to provide single sign on capability for domain users but there are significant challenges and additional software plus hardware that is required.

Think of Office 365 more as an "add-on" to your server allowing to you do things like Exchange that you would normally have to install locally.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Robert Crane
    www.ciaops.com 

Monday, September 26, 2011 2:39 AM
  • Hello Robert,

Whereas you are correct that Office 365 is "somewhat" cloud based, it also has a desktop component.

i.e.: each user can download Office 2013 on up to 5 machines. 

BUT NOT SERVER.  At least that is what MS tells me.

If you know of a way to download the application so that my users can work from the server via remote desktop exclusively, I would love to.

Any suggestions would be great.

Dale Peronteau

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 5:02 PM
  • Office 365 Enterprise Plans that include Office for the desktop are licensed for RDS. This means you can install Office from Office 365 Enterprise SKUs onto an RDS server directly and each user with an Office desktop license is also covered for RDS usage of those applications.

Remember you need enterprise NOT business plans to allow RDS. I suggest you look at my blog post for all the details on how to achieve this:

http://blog.ciaops.com/2014/10/office-365-rds-world-changes-again.html

All Office 365 services such as Exchange, SharePoint, Skype for Business, etc are Cloud based. There are local apps that can connected directly to these (including Windows).

Thanks
    Robert

Thanks Robert Crane [MVP-Office365] www.ciaops.com

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 9:04 PM