none
Disable USB suspend setting via GPO

Question

• We have a server 2012 R2 domain which already has a GPO to deploy the power policy. The plan is set to active yet there are no USB settings for power. I need to disable selective USB suspend as there are USB devices that need to be on all the time yet I cannot figure out how to do so. 

Then I tried going to one of the computer to see if I could turn it off locally and it's grayed out. How can I disable this preferably via GPO?

I tired creating a reg key locally on that PC with the following info but that did not work

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
    3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
    4. Type USB for the name of the subkey, and then press ENTER.
    5. Click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB
    6. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    7. Type DisableSelectiveSuspend for the name of the DWORD, and then press ENTER.
    8. Right-click DisableSelectiveSuspend, and then click Modify.
    9. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    10. Exit Registry Editor.

Friday, January 20, 2017 3:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We have a server 2012 R2 domain which already has a GPO to deploy the power policy. The plan is set to active yet there are no USB settings for power. I need to disable selective USB suspend as there are USB devices that need to be on all the time yet I cannot figure out how to do so. 

Then I tried going to one of the computer to see if I could turn it off locally and it's grayed out. How can I disable this preferably via GPO?

>>>To achieve your goal, you could configure domain group policy.

First, you need create a OU and add those computers, which need apply the setting.

Then, create a GPO link to the OU, navigate Computer Configuration\Policies\Preferences\Windows Settings\registry to create the DisableSelectiveSuspend.

Here is an article below about how to create registry key by group policy for your reference.

Disable Adding USB Drive and Memory Sticks via Group Policy and Group Policy Preferences

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/danstolts/2009/01/disable-adding-usb-drive-and-memory-sticks-via-group-policy-and-group-policy-preferences/

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 23, 2017 5:25 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any feedbacks?

If the reply above has resolved your problem, please mark it as answer.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jay

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 30, 2017 2:29 AM
  • Actually I did it a different way. I created a security group for those 5 machines that needed to be excluded from the power policy. Then I denied them access to the power policy GPO so I could not disable the selective USB suspend setting manually. Worked!
    Monday, January 30, 2017 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your share.

In addition, would you mark your reply as answer as it would be helpful to anyone else who encounters the similar issue.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jay

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 3:10 AM