CELKO's account has been hijacked! RRS feed

• General discussion

• As we all know, CELKO's known for his brash, arrogant, insensitive and tactless posts. He may be a nice guy but, truth be told, most of us hate his replies.

But when he posted here I immediately realized there's something wrong; it's a short, surprisingly straightforward reply with no snide remarks or derogatory connotations. Needless to say, something terrible has occurred.

He doesn't seem like the type of guy to change for the better, so either his account has been hijacked or he's being held hostage while being forced to act nice.

Any additional info will be greatly appreciated.

VM

• Changed type Kalman Toth Friday, November 8, 2013 4:58 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 2:41 PM

All replies

• Friday, November 8, 2013 2:46 PM
  • Well, that's a relief.

Never have the words "garbage", "your screwed up design", "absurd" and "you failed" provided such inspiration.

I'm just glad he's OK.

VM

• Edited by rbhatup Friday, November 8, 2013 3:34 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 3:18 PM
  • The important consideration for CELKO and everybody else is to be polite in posts even when you feel annoyed, angry or much smarter than another forum participant.

Also we need to face reality: we should not tell a beginner SQL-er to change the bad table design at the huge or small company he is working at.  Even an experienced database developer would face big problems changing tables in production.

Computer Science history: before magnetic tape there was punch tape:

http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpage/GEcomputer1969punchedtape.jpg

Both program & data can be stored on punch tapes. Magnetic tape was a revolutionary improvement over paper punch tape. Downside: it cannot be used in ticker tape parades.

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect IPAD SELECT Query Video Tutorial 3.5 Hours
    New Book / Kindle: Exam 70-461 Bootcamp: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

• Edited by Kalman Toth Saturday, November 9, 2013 6:51 AM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 5:03 PM
  • Wow, I feel special after being in that thread. Almost got a answer there, come on vmhatup!

Chuck

Friday, November 8, 2013 8:39 PM
  • Mmm...I don't know...the post you mention is not so rude, it's seems that something is changed..I think we need to wait someone who:

1) Write tbl_something ( "that's called tabbling"...etc)

2) Write records ( "it's rows and not records")

3) Write something theoric ("Post DDL and your bank account for the time I'm wasting reading your rubbish")

4) Reply offensiveley against a Celko's post

and after this perfect storm we can say if someone hacked the Celko profile or not..

Friday, November 8, 2013 11:14 PM
  • I'm not sure the current post appropriate!

You're talking about someone you may not like his way, but let's remember that he comes here to help, and he do it in his spare time. he may be a little rough in his approach, we may not agree with the opinion but yet, we have to agree that he try to help. I am sure lots of people thanks him for his help.

[Personal Site] [Blog] [Facebook]signature

• Edited by pituachMVP Friday, November 8, 2013 11:40 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 11:38 PM
  • I do appreciate your attempt at sarcastic humor but I don't feel it is an appropriate topic for starting a discussion thread. While Celko's posts may not always be pleasing, he does emphasize the benefits of ISO standards and the like, which I've not seen anyone else doing as persistently on this platform.

On the other hand, the community also flags his posts when it crosses the threshold of a civil discussion.

I've flagged this discussion topic as Off-topic.

- Aalam | (Blog)

Saturday, November 9, 2013 12:43 AM
  • Aalam,

I unflagged the abusive flag. This topic needs to be discussed. Joe's style is impacting us all on this forum. We had a number of discussion threads on this topic.

ISO standards?  Are you kidding?  What are they? You need a lawyer to read them! We are living in MS SS world. Whatever Microsoft says goes.

If Microsoft decides to follow some elements in the ISO standards, we can use it.  I try to use CURRENT_TIMESTAMP instead of getdate() most of the time as an example.

As far as naming concerned, just follow the naming in AdventureWorks family of sample databases.

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect IPAD SELECT Query Video Tutorial 3.5 Hours

• Edited by Kalman Toth Saturday, November 9, 2013 1:36 PM
    Saturday, November 9, 2013 1:33 PM
  • I do agree with Kalman , but I am not sure , whether we are on the correct forum for this discussion . 

sathya - www.allaboutmssql.com ** Mark as answered if my post solved your problem and Vote as helpful if my post was useful **.

Saturday, November 9, 2013 2:29 PM
  • Original Post was not related ISO standard, but on a certain person.

I would love to take part in the discussion as professional as: Should we keep working by standards, if so, at what price? But such is not the case here! It did not start as a positive discussion but a negative post against a particular person (and in this case someone that is part of the supporters here and we have to give him a back! next time it might be us!), Perhaps as an attempt to insult or just as a joke, but obviously a discussion about ISO was not the intention here.

Despite all this, I agree with Kalman. Should be very careful before claiming someone tried to do intentionally offensive. The original post was written quite funny at sarcastic humor, and sometimes warning on the forum or a personal message (something that unfortunately we don't here) can fit better. Moreover, we got an active discussion :-)

• Edited by pituachMVP Saturday, November 9, 2013 3:18 PM
    Saturday, November 9, 2013 3:06 PM
  • I started this thread just to add a little humor to the forum... Nothing more, nothing less.

But then again, it's a miracle CELKO hasn't scolded me for not posting DDL.

VM

Saturday, November 9, 2013 11:01 PM
  • I started this thread just to add a little humor to the forum... 

Are you kidding? really? 

Many people spend their valuable time for a little humor?

Are you satisfied now?

Thanks!

Saeid Hasani, sqldevelop.wordpress.com

Download Books Online for SQL Server 2012

Saturday, November 9, 2013 11:27 PM
  • I started this thread just to add a little humor to the forum... 

Are you kidding? really? 

Many people spend their valuable time for a little humor?

Pity you have no sense of humor.

VM

Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:26 AM
  • We all agree that "some standards" should be followed in an organisation. Then why not make it the ISO standards that have been created after much deliberation! You have the right to your opinion. But I digress here.

I had flagged the post as "Off topic". I did not use "Spam", "Profanity" etc. for flagging. My contention with the original post by vmhatup is that it is targeted at a person, not the expectation of civility in the forum posts. vmhatup has not been rude in his post, rather it is funny. But if we allow posts about people instead of technical or conceptual stuff, it will be just a matter of time before we are spending more effort on dousing flame wars in the forum instead of being productive.

I completely agree with what you have said in your post -

The important consideration for CELKO and everybody else is to be polite in posts even when you feel annoyed, angry or much smarter than another forum participant.

Also we need to face reality: we should not tell a beginner SQL-er to change the bad table design at the huge or small company he is working at.  Even an experienced database developer would face big problems changing tables in production.

Had vmhatup initiated this discussion with comments similar yours, it would have been perfectly acceptable to me. I guess I, along with many other community members, have flagged Celko's (and others') posts earlier that are out rightly inappropriate. For sure, community will keep doing that to indicate displeasure and disagreement so that moderator's can take action.

- Aalam | (Blog)

Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:50 AM
  • > Then why not make it the ISO standards that have been created after much deliberation!

We can only follow ISO standards to the limit of implementation by Microsoft SS Team.

We can use:

INFORMATION_SCHEMA views (21 views for database metadata -- in addition SS 2012 has 379 sys. views altogether 400 system views!)

CURRENT_TIMESTAMP (instead of getdate())

COALESCE (instead of isnull)

ISO_WEEK

As far as naming concerned my advice can be summed up in one short sentence: "Follow the naming styles in AdventureWorks family of sample databases."

I would be really happy if someone would summarize the ISO naming standards in a comprehensible manner.

Thanks.

• Edited by Kalman Toth Sunday, November 10, 2013 1:42 PM
    Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:42 PM
  • Hey, I had quite a crack from VM's post! Which I certainly don't have from Celko's.

Off-topic? Yes. ...or no. For whatever reason, the URL to this forum starts with "social", and from a social perspective that this is a social media where we discuss T-SQL, the post is certainly on-topic.

Whatever, I don't mind an occasional lighter thread. If there would be tens of them every day, it would be a problem.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Sunday, November 10, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Dear VM

I have humor sense. But I believe that kidding with an old big teacher is not a good idea.

I mean we need to have people with different approaches in the forum. Celco is a great writer who has his style. Many of us have at least one of his books. As we notice his books title like “… for Smarties”, we see this style. Therefore, I don’t want to judge or change anybody. I just accept him for who he is.

I learn a lot from Celco as well as from Erland, Ben-Gan, Kalman, etc. and believe that they are the leaders of our SQL community. I respect to all of them and I honor to participate in a community that they participate in.

They are the database world’s veterans.

Thanks,

Saeid 

Sunday, November 10, 2013 5:09 PM
  • It was meant as a bit of humor; I don't expect anyone to change with my post.

99.5% of the people that post here work for someone. I can only assume that most of us here post simplified versions of what we're dealing with at the moment and hope for the best.

So how does CELKO answer? By saying that what has been posted is garbage and that it should all be changed. Even if we wanted to, does he have any idea how difficult that is?

I work at a medium-sized company; the amount of testing, scripts, paperwork, phone calls, approvals, and meetings required to just change the name of a table is just gross. And I used to work at a Fortune 500 company a few years back; any changes to the DB had to be approved by someone in another time zone. My point is we're not dealing with AdventureWorks.

@Saeid, As far as respect goes, veteran or not, I respect anyone that respects me. Anyone that doesn't have the basic human decency to respect someone that only wants to improve his/her life at the workplace doesn't deserve a smidgen of respect.

VM

Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:48 PM
  • It was meant as a bit of humor; I don't expect anyone to change with my post.

99.5% of the people that post here work for someone. I can only assume that most of us here post simplified versions of what we're dealing with at the moment and hope for the best.

So how does CELKO answer? By saying that what has been posted is garbage and that it should all be changed. Even if we wanted to, does he have any idea how difficult that is?

I work at a medium-sized company; the amount of testing, scripts, paperwork, phone calls, approvals, and meetings required to just change the name of a table is just gross. And I used to work at a Fortune 500 company a few years back; any changes to the DB had to be approved by someone in another time zone. My point is we're not dealing with AdventureWorks.

@Saeid, As far as respect goes, veteran or not, I respect anyone that respects me. Anyone that doesn't have the basic human decency to respect someone that only wants to improve his/her life at the workplace doesn't deserve a smidgen of respect.

VM

You are right VM. But I want to please consider a bit more to my former reply and I promise you to have more humor sense. 

Thanks

Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:52 PM
  • Saeid,

But I believe that kidding with an old big teacher is not a good idea.

That's your opinion and not mine, but it's ok for you to impress that opinion upon me but VM can't impress a different opinion upon others? Pot, meet kettle.

I mean we need to have people with different approaches in the forum.

We don't need more people that don't really add anything except for rash and harsh replies, AKA Celko. It would be different if his replies carried substance, but bashing others on the forum isn't the substance we need. Especially since most of the people here are working with 3rd party developed databases.

Celco is a great writer who has his style.

You didn't even spell his name correctly? Ouch. Not nit-picking but for someone that you have great respect for I would have assumed...

That's your opinion that he's a great writer - he definitely has his own style, that's for sure... and he owns it.

Therefore, I don’t want to judge or change anybody.

Though you did judge VM, so once again... Pot, meet Kettle.

I just accept him for who he is.

... and there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm not trying to nit-pick or cut anyone down, but let's be honest here... he really doesn't add *much* if anything in the way or *actual* solutions or help.

VM was making a joke and I laughed a little... it's light hearted humor. If you accept Celko for who he is then accept VM as well and his style and sense of humor. Only hypocrites are allowed to say one thing and then do another against what they have stated. 

-Sean

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

Sunday, November 10, 2013 8:49 PM
  • I would be really happy if someone would summarize the ISO naming standards in a comprehensible manner 

Have you tried chapter 1 of SQL PROGRAMMING STYLE? 

The basic principle is to name a data element for what it is by  its nature. Not how it is represented, where it is used or how it is used in one place. 

The basic column name is
    ”[<role>_]<attribute>_<attribute property>”

A table (base table , view, CTE , etc)  is a set so its name is a collective or plural noun. It is singular only if the set has one unique element. 

That is 90% of the ISO model. 

--CELKO-- Books in Celko Series for Morgan-Kaufmann Publishing: Analytics and OLAP in SQL / Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice Data / Measurements and Standards in SQL SQL for Smarties / SQL Programming Style / SQL Puzzles and Answers / Thinking in Sets / Trees and Hierarchies in SQL

Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:33 PM
  • The basic column name is
    ”[<role>_]<attribute>_<attribute property>” 

Thanks Joe. Here is an issue: in MS programming practice world using underscore in naming considered old-fashioned.  TABLE_NAME is old-fashioned in MS world, TableName is the current fashion.

How would you rename the following columns ISO style?

SELECT DISTINCT CONCAT(TABLE_SCHEMA,'.',TABLE_NAME,'.',COLUMN_NAME) AS ColumnName
    FROM AdventureWorks2012.INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS
    ORDER BY ColumnName;
    /*
    Purchasing.Vendor.AccountNumber
    Purchasing.Vendor.ActiveFlag
    Purchasing.Vendor.BusinessEntityID
    Purchasing.Vendor.CreditRating
    Purchasing.Vendor.ModifiedDate
    Purchasing.Vendor.Name
    Purchasing.Vendor.PreferredVendorStatus
    Purchasing.Vendor.PurchasingWebServiceURL
    */

• Edited by Kalman Toth Monday, November 11, 2013 3:31 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Sorry Sean and VM,

I am not hypocrite. 

Monday, November 11, 2013 6:24 AM
  • He doesn't seem like the type of guy to change for the better, so either his account has been hijacked or he's being held hostage while being forced to act nice. 

Well I am happy to know that he is not held hostage. (Sarcastically it was nice.).

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Monday, November 11, 2013 7:50 AM
  • Never have I laughed so much at something work-related. I received my initiation into SQL last year when CELKO replied to my first question ever, even if he can come across as brash, I still believe he's doing it for the good of sharing knowledge. Just don't ever ask him about formatting string dates! He will reel off the word "kludge" like a strain of tourettes! :) Keep up the good work Joe.
    Monday, November 11, 2013 8:53 AM
  • I'm not sure the current post appropriate!

You're talking about someone you may not like his way, but let's remember that he comes here to help, and he do it in his spare time. he may be a little rough in his approach, we may not agree with the opinion but yet, we have to agree that he try to help. I am sure lots of people thanks him for his help.

I am agreed. He may be rude but most times he points out the basic concepts of RDBMS.
    Monday, November 11, 2013 2:38 PM
  • Aalam,

I unflagged the abusive flag. This topic needs to be discussed. Joe's style is impacting us all on this forum. We had a number of discussion threads on this topic.

ISO standards?  Are you kidding?  What are they? You need a lawyer to read them! We are living in MS SS world. Whatever Microsoft says goes.

If Microsoft decides to follow some elements in the ISO standards, we can use it.  I try to use CURRENT_TIMESTAMP instead of getdate() most of the time as an example.

As far as naming concerned, just follow the naming in AdventureWorks family of sample databases.

I guess  that is what made CELKO a good author. His specialty is RDBMS and he helps people to understand this through his ridiculously rude posts(which I really don't like).  I don't agree with you at all.

Monday, November 11, 2013 2:48 PM
  • >His specialty is RDBMS and he helps people to understand this through his ridiculously rude posts(which I really don't like).

Quite a unique view!

Joe's exceptional RDBMS talent is not the topic here.

The topic of discussion is very simple: politeness in posts. Thanks.

• Edited by Kalman Toth Monday, November 11, 2013 4:01 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 3:59 PM
  • You say he's to help.  Is this a joke???.  That's man Celko....is a useless in my opinion.  He doesn't think, in reality is not perfect like he thinks.   The man should go to the Gym or do something else beside his SQL stuffs, his experience is out date....  Honestly, I usually ignore his comments and advice.

Actually his experience isn't out of date, alot of his examples and ideas are revolutionary. It's our experience that is out of date, we are just stubborn to change or change our whole model. Sometimes I do not agree with the extremity of his opinions and posts, but that's exactly what it is, opinion. We are exchanging factual information in this forum, and it's hard I guess. It's people like Joe that spur me on to change and evolve my experiences and knowledge to impress and continually improve this community.
    Monday, November 11, 2013 5:02 PM
  • >His specialty is RDBMS and he helps people to understand this through his ridiculously rude posts(which I really don't like).

Quite a unique view!

Joe's exceptional RDBMS talent is not the topic here.

The topic of discussion is very simple: politeness in posts. Thanks.

This discussing is not about his politeness anymore. I see some posts in this discussion which are way more disrespectful and rude than CELKO's usual post.

I wouldn't mind if somebody points out my misconceptions of basic in a rude way if eventually that helps me out.

And I have the courage to swallow my pride instead attacking personally.

At least a positive view I guess!

Monday, November 11, 2013 5:23 PM
  • I started this thread just to add a little humor to the forum... Nothing more, nothing less.

But then again, it's a miracle CELKO hasn't scolded me for not posting DDL.

I think this is funny. I have a sense of humor about myself. In Brazil, I am "Ming the merciless"  from the old Flash Gordon cartoon strip; in India Pinel Dave tells me I am "SQL Satan" :) 

I have been at this since Compuserve forums.  I did research on Software Engineering and wrote columns in the trade press on it for years before I became "the SQL Guy" by serving a decade on the ANSI X3H2 Database standards and then writing ten books on the language. 

Look at most of the posters in the newsgroups. They do not post DDL -- often because they have no idea what it is -- and invent their own pseudo-code. They have no idea what a spec is, but post requests for ways to implement an approach they have locked into (cursor, recursive CTE, etc) -- and it is usually a non-relational approach at that. 

What we have are some really lazy programmers who want to use the newsgroups to do their job or to help them cheat in college classes. Even worse, they want to get an instant college education which is not possible in a short reply. The questions they ask can most often be answered by (1) RTFM, well BOL (2) "Try it and see" (3) a quick Google search in the newsgroup to which they are posting. 

What they get instead from most replies is a kludge to get rid of them. If this was a woodworking newsgroup and someone posted "What is the best kind of rocks to pound screws into fine furniture?" are you really helping them when you say "Granite! Use big hunks of granite!"

I am the guy who replies with "Your question is bad. Don't you know about screwdrivers?" My wife is an ordained Soto Zen Priest who would beat you with a stick, so I am a pussy cat. I do it to get the attention of the poster. 

IT Professionals ought to know ISO Standards related to SQL and to data. IT Professionals ought to follow Netiquette. If someone can explain why their laziness, willful ignorance and lack of basic Netiquette are more important than professionalism an why they are exempt,  I would love to hear it.  

--CELKO-- Books in Celko Series for Morgan-Kaufmann Publishing: Analytics and OLAP in SQL / Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice Data / Measurements and Standards in SQL SQL for Smarties / SQL Programming Style / SQL Puzzles and Answers / Thinking in Sets / Trees and Hierarchies in SQL

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:43 AM
  • Well said Celko.

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:59 AM
  • >> in MS programming practice world using underscore in naming considered old-fashioned.  TABLE_NAME is old-fashioned in MS world, TableName is the current fashion. <<

I spent two years at AIRMICS gathering research on readability. We finally had lowercase letters on teletypes and other terminals! The original research done for printed matter in WWII and by newspapers was still solid for screens and printouts. 

If you are a Latin alphabet reader, your eye jumps (twitches) to UPPERCASE letters. Back in those days, we had to look at video or film, frame by frame, to measure this. 

UPPERCASE letters mark the start of a sentence, a proper noun, etc. The use of camelCase is almost the worst of the standard styles. Hungarian notation is just after rANdoM caSiNg in each word (see?).

All UPBERCASE words are read as a bouma; a single unit of visual comprehension. Did you notice that uppercase was misspelled? Probably not. This is why we uppercase keywords in a programming language. 

Your eye also needs spaces to read Latin alphabet words. If this was Arabic, then the connected script would serve that aggregation for your eyes! The underscore works because we have used lined paper or base lines for centuries. 

The Unicode Standards require that all languages have a subset of Latin (digits, letters, and simple punctuation marks), so that they can represent ISO Standard encodings. Some ISO Standards are case sensitive, so you need to keep rules about how you represent columns names, table names etc everywhere. Not just in SQL. 

>> How would you rename the following columns ISO style? <<

Purchasing.Vendor.AccountNumber

Do you really have only one vendor? That is what this says! I would go with

Purchasing.Vendors.account_nbr

I like to use “_nbr” for a tag number attribute property, but other people use “_no” (looks like the English word) or “_num” (too flat visually for my tastes). 

Purchasing.Vendors.active_flag

I would never use am assembly language flag in SQL. See: www.simple-talk.com/sql/t-sql-programming/bit-of-a-problem/&q=&esrc=s&ei=BpGBUp7oEeaD2gWx8ICoBA&usg=AFQjCNF7CFpFVa7oqITkWKcAKCo3j43TZw 

Purchasing.Vendors.business_entity_id

I use the DUNS as the industry standard for businesses. Did you invent your own codes? 

Purchasing.Vendors.credit_rating

This fine. Comment which scale you are using. 

Purchasing.Vendors.modified_date

This is metadata for an audit. I would never put either audit or meta data in a base table. It is illegal and it would be “modification_date” instead of that verbal form. 

Purchasing.Vendors.name

Can you be more vague and generic?? This ought be “<something in particular>_name” because “_name” is an attribute property. The rules are based on the Law of Identity from Logic: “To be is to be something in particular; to be nothing in particular or Scythian in general is to be nothing at all. ”

Purchasing.Vendors.preferred_vendor_status

Isn't “preferred” a particular vendor status? Do you have a “lousy _vendor_status” column? 

Purchasing.Vendors.purchasing_webservice_url

This is fine. Now write a regular expression to validate it. 

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:39 AM
  • Thanks Joe.

Can you keep the tone of your posts neutral or polite in the future?

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:24 AM
  • Ah, hahaha.. I wish I had seen this earlier.

You know it's the real Celko when the tables are so tightly locked down by CONSTRAINT CHECK clauses like straightjackets.

If you haven't used a TRIGGER, a CURSOR, or violated ISO-11179 and ISO-8601 - you haven't lived!

Thanks! Josh

• Edited by Josh Ashwood Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:18 AM
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:11 AM
  • I too agree with Kalman & Sathya,

we are here to help each other with whatever knowledge we have acquired over the years, some time we may sound stupid with our silly questions, but it is the part of learning process , we have to be stupid & silly to learn things , acquire knowledge and prosper in life.

Regards,
    Praveen D'sa
    MCITP - Database Administrator - 2008
    sqlerrors

Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:22 AM
  • All I meant, is that we do not need to speak ill of people (even CELKO) in public
    This does not mean that his behavior and his responses acceptable!

If CELKO (or anyone else) made ​​you feel silly or stupid so ignore him. This is definitely a problem! I guess sometimes this attitude aimed to make you think that someone is more than he is. It's a well known psychological issue: If you can not be smart then you can look like, by making the other look stupider. Eventually maybe even someone will buy a book or two since you are so stupid and silly and that will be the only thing that will save you.

I always say: THERE IS NO STUPID OR SILLY QUESTIONS, only answers. We all started from the beginning at some point.

I still say that I thought there was no place for all this discussion in public, but it has certainly a place at the Moderators forum!

• Edited by pituachMVP Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:12 AM
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:10 AM