none
INF Install failure error only when sequencer is running. RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to sequence StarOffice 8. I am using 4.6 SP1 on a Windows 7 64-bit and 32-bit VMs with no success on either one. I can run through the local install just fine and it appears all of the components work fine, however, when I attempt to sequence the app, it will run through the file copy process and then bomb out with the error: "INF Install failure. Reason: The parameter is incorrect." I've tried running the install as Administrator, I've tried launching the installer from a command prompt launched w/administrator permissions, as well as running the installer with "Previous versions of Windows" compatibility, no specific OS compatibility modes were listed in the drop-down. I've ran through the sequencing with ProcMon running but really wasn't able to decipher any of the details in the log that gave any indication what is causing the error.

I've tried searching around for info on this error and mostly seem to find instances of this error occurring with installing Windows XP or info stating that it's indicative of a potential virus. I can't find any info at all with regard to this message popping up when sequencing any apps in App-V.

It's obviously something to do with the sequencer running, but I'm not sure what I could change to fix this. I'm still a bit new to sequencing and still learning so I apologize in advance if this is a rudimentary question.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:31 PM

Answers

• I tried that software and got the same error message:

It comes from C:\Program Files\Sun\StarOffice 8\share\regdeinstall\userdeinst.exe, which in turn runs rundll32.exe (which is what prompts the error) with the following path as parameter: ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\USR20C4.tmp\oldreg.inf,DefaultUninstall

Looking at the oldreg.inf, it seems to be meant for unregistering file type associations that  StarOffice 7 has (if previously installed) done to the machine. As such, failing to run this unregistration poses no problem to your package as it's only for removal of old entries.

Cannot say why it does not work correctly under Sequencer, but it's likely something to do with Sequencer messing up with the registry access for processes (i.e. redirecting stuff in the background).

br,
    Kalle Saunamäki
    http://blog.gridmetric.com/
    Monday, October 10, 2011 8:05 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Does the software install any drivers? Have you tried, if possible, to not install them?
    /Znack
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Not that I was able to find, no.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:30 PM
  • INF would most likely be a driver...and from looking online I would suspect the suite would contain drivers. Can you open the MSI to confirm? Is there anything in the INF Directory?

If it does contain drivers will you proceed in sequencing and putting the drivers local on the machine?

Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Actually I see that some 5.2 version uses a setup.inf file, are you running via a setup.exe? Can you locate an INF file to see what it's installing and then maybe dissect the application installers and try installing individually?

e.g. extract any MSI which might be installed or if it exists.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:38 PM
  • Hello,

If saving the package and distributing it - are there any problems?

I wrapped up a package on Windows XP and Windows 7 - and could identify that something went wrong (even though the error message occured)

/Znack
    Friday, October 7, 2011 7:43 AM
  • I tried that software and got the same error message:

It comes from C:\Program Files\Sun\StarOffice 8\share\regdeinstall\userdeinst.exe, which in turn runs rundll32.exe (which is what prompts the error) with the following path as parameter: ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\USR20C4.tmp\oldreg.inf,DefaultUninstall

Looking at the oldreg.inf, it seems to be meant for unregistering file type associations that  StarOffice 7 has (if previously installed) done to the machine. As such, failing to run this unregistration poses no problem to your package as it's only for removal of old entries.

Cannot say why it does not work correctly under Sequencer, but it's likely something to do with Sequencer messing up with the registry access for processes (i.e. redirecting stuff in the background).

br,
    Kalle Saunamäki
    http://blog.gridmetric.com/
    Monday, October 10, 2011 8:05 PM