none
SharePoint Incoming Email Folder URL Character Limit

Question

• I have document library incoming email enable and Group attachment in folders property set to "Save all attachment in folder group by e-mail subject" so when I send email, the folder name created in document library had the same subject line in email.  When email subject line that I send quite long, SharePoint trim the folder name down, see below screenshot -> it renamed with.....

I had SPD workflow rename the folder by taking the folder name and concatenate with date and time at the time so the folder name look like this

When user send email with long subject line, my workflow rename the folder with concatenate date and time suspended because of the long folder name which exceed limit character.  How can I check before concatenate date and time to the folder name to ensure the name does not exceed the character limit?  Which column of item I should check:  ServerURL, EncodedAbsUrl, FileLeafRef, FileRef or something else?  What is the character limit number anyway?

Thanks

Tee

• Edited by Mr. T1 Friday, December 7, 2018 1:53 AM
    Friday, December 7, 2018 12:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Tee,

You can check the Encoded Absolute URL. It is the full path and contains all the information necessary to locate a resource.

To get the length of a string, you can use the following actions in SharePoint 2013 workflow.

For more information about how to get the string length in workflow, refer to the blog below:

http://www.documentmanagementworkflowinfo.com/sharepoint-2013/sharepoint-designer-2013-workflow-string-length.htm

There are limitations for SharePoint URL path length:

• 260 Unicode (UTF-16) code units – the characters in a full file path, not including a domain/server name.
    • 256 Unicode (UTF-16) code units – the characters in a full folder path, not including the file name and the domain/server name.
    • 128 Unicode (UTF-16) code units - characters in a path component, that is, a file or folder name.
    • 260 Unicode (UTF-16) code units – the characters in a full path, including a domain/server name for use with Office clients.
    • 256 Unicode (UTF-16) code units – the characters in a full path including the domain/server name, for use with Active X controls.

They cannot be changed. Check the following article for more information (also applies to SharePoint 2013):

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff919564(v=office.15).aspx

Best Regards,

Linda

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, December 7, 2018 7:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Tee,

You can check the Encoded Absolute URL. It is the full path and contains all the information necessary to locate a resource.

To get the length of a string, you can use the following actions in SharePoint 2013 workflow.

For more information about how to get the string length in workflow, refer to the blog below:

http://www.documentmanagementworkflowinfo.com/sharepoint-2013/sharepoint-designer-2013-workflow-string-length.htm

There are limitations for SharePoint URL path length:

• 260 Unicode (UTF-16) code units – the characters in a full file path, not including a domain/server name.
    • 256 Unicode (UTF-16) code units – the characters in a full folder path, not including the file name and the domain/server name.
    • 128 Unicode (UTF-16) code units - characters in a path component, that is, a file or folder name.
    • 260 Unicode (UTF-16) code units – the characters in a full path, including a domain/server name for use with Office clients.
    • 256 Unicode (UTF-16) code units – the characters in a full path including the domain/server name, for use with Active X controls.

They cannot be changed. Check the following article for more information (also applies to SharePoint 2013):

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff919564(v=office.15).aspx

Best Regards,

Linda

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, December 7, 2018 7:44 AM
  • Hi,

Does the information answer your question?

If the issue was resolved, you can mark the helpful post as answer.

Thanks,

Linda

Thursday, December 13, 2018 11:18 AM