Outlook 2016 Search Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Office 2016 Expert,

Good Day

I am recently always encounter searching problem with my outlook 2016. There is error message whenever i would like to do search inside my mailbox. The error message is "something went wrong and your search could not be completed". Please refer to the screenshot below. FYI, i am using windows 10 professional version 1703 and the office 2016 is being downloaded from the Office 365 portal as it come with our office 365 licenses.

Below are the troubleshooting that i have done:

1. Recreate outlook profile.

2. Repair Office both online or offline

3. windows update is already latest

4. Rebuild indexing

5. Windows Search service is confirmed running

Thanks

Regards,

H

• Moved by Steve Fan Monday, October 30, 2017 3:13 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Sunday, October 29, 2017 6:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is there any other user affected by this problem in your environment?

Are you using an Exchange account? Do you have cached Exchange mode enabled?

There used to have a similar issue caused by Windows 10 updates. I noted your windows update is already latest, but I'm not sure how your windows update settings were configured. You may have a check and verify whether you have the following updates installed for your Windows 10 1703 build:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025342/windows-10-update-kb4025342

Please let us know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, November 1, 2017 10:26 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 3:12 AM
  • Simple!
    You just need to uncheck Outlook from the indexing locations (and leaving it unchecked). Then, you will receive this one lost feature again. Sometimes, it is also an outcome of error in Outlook data file. 
    You should also check out other references, mentioned below:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10/searching-does-not-work-in-outlook-2016/8ce8a6ad-a098-4b93-aaad-c7b999bf9105?auth=1
    https://www.stellarinfo.com/outlook-pst-file-recovery.php

RAHUL Sr. Software Engineer

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 6:44 AM
  • This can also happen when your OST/PST file get corrupt. I would like to suggest you to repair your outlook data files with ScanPST.exe
    Here is location of ScanPST.exe in Outlook 2016: <C>\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16

Hi Trvisrogers,

I am very sure that it is not PST corrupted issues as i have created the pst multiple times, apparently same issue.

Thanks

H

Friday, November 3, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Hi Rahul,

I did to unchecked the indexing for outlook. Then restarted my computer and open my outlook 2016 again, but apparently it is still same error.

Please advise.

Thanks

H

Friday, November 3, 2017 8:42 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Good day

thanks for the advise on the update. i have downloaded the KB4025342 above but when i tried to install, there is a message that this update is not applicable to the system. I am actually doing the updates via windows update and never patch the office separately and yes currently on exchange cache mode.

Please help to advise.

Thanks

Regards,

H

• Edited by Henry2050 Sunday, November 5, 2017 8:43 AM Mistake
    Sunday, November 5, 2017 8:42 AM
  • Dear Henry,

There are multiple reasons for the Outlook 2016 search issue. Some of them are:-

1. Outlook Files Incomplete Indexing or Issue With Windows OS Indexing Service

2. Others Outlook Services interruption

3. PST/OST File Corruption

So, Did you try to build index of Outlook data again. If not then try to build it again.

Read More:- Complete Steps to Fix Outlook 2016 Search Issue

If the problem further persists then you can ping it here.

HI Jane,

Thanks for the advise.

I have actually done rebuilt on indexing, start outlook in safe mode, and also create new profile before logging the case. 

Could you help to advise any other alternative way to solve this issue? it is the first time we encounter such issue.

Thanks

Regards,

H

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 7:18 AM
  • Hi Henry,

We have may some changes to Outlook 2016 instant search. Currently in Outlook 2016, it uses the server-side search engine in Exchange 2016 and Office 365 (Exchange Online) and leverages this search as the default Outlook search index. I noted that there is a notification stating that "It looks like there's a problem with your network connection.". Looks like Outlook is not able to connect to Exchange server index due to a network connection issue.

You may try creating one of the following registry entries to force Outlook to use the Windows index and then see whether this issue continues:

(Important Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.)

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Search

Or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Search

Value name: DisableServerAssistedSearch 
    Value type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by jkassies Tuesday, June 5, 2018 5:12 PM
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:21 AM
  • I would also like to suggest you to repair your PST using ScanPST.exe or as an alternative you can also try Softaken PST Recovery, this software can recover all your mailbox data. 
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 6:15 AM
  • Hi Steve, this was helpful for me, thank you
    • Edited by jkassies Saturday, June 9, 2018 12:26 PM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 5:12 PM
  • Hi Henry,

We have may some changes to Outlook 2016 instant search. Currently in Outlook 2016, it uses the server-side search engine in Exchange 2016 and Office 365 (Exchange Online) and leverages this search as the default Outlook search index. I noted that there is a notification stating that "It looks like there's a problem with your network connection.". Looks like Outlook is not able to connect to Exchange server index due to a network connection issue.

You may try creating one of the following registry entries to force Outlook to use the Windows index and then see whether this issue continues:

(Important Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.)

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Search

Or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Search

Value name: DisableServerAssistedSearch 
    Value type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

Regards,

Steve Fan

Hi Henry,

Thank you for the work around, works perfect.

Monday, June 25, 2018 9:26 AM
  • Thanks! Worked for me as well.
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 5:42 AM