Transport Rule Condition - Filtering Indirect Recipients RRS feed

• Question

• In Outlook we can create a rule with this condition "where my name is in the To box" so that it will filter out emails received indirectly (i.e. through a Distribution Group).

We want to create a similar rule in Exchange 2010 so that when an email is sent directly to certain users, do something.  I looked through the predicates and none seem to suit.  Is this possible?
    Friday, November 1, 2013 9:37 PM

Answers

• Thanks Tarique.  That's great, but we have about 10,000 of such mailboxes and it's quite hard to maintain.

As you said it is possible, could you enlighten me on how?

Hi

That inbox rule was for particular user's  mailbox only . if you want to apply this rule to all mailboxes , then Transport Rule ( AnyOfToHeader predicate )will help you .

Here is one example :

New-TransportRule -Name 'ToRule' -Comments 'If To list contains User1,BCC to admin' -Priority '0' -Enabled $true -AnyOfToHeader 'user1@domain.com' -BlindCopyTo 'Administrator@domain.com' 

MCITP - Exchange 2010 | MCITP - Windows Server 2008 R2

Monday, November 4, 2013 5:39 AM

All replies

• Yes , This is possible  but it's better to use Inbox rule .

Here is one Example :

New-InboxRule "CheckActionRequired" -Mailbox "MBXName" -MyNameInToBox $true -FlaggedForAction Any -MarkImportance "High"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335170(v=exchg.141).aspx

Sunday, November 3, 2013 5:58 AM
  • Thanks Tarique.  That's great, but we have about 10,000 of such mailboxes and it's quite hard to maintain.

Monday, November 4, 2013 5:09 AM

Hi

That inbox rule was for particular user's  mailbox only . if you want to apply this rule to all mailboxes , then Transport Rule ( AnyOfToHeader predicate )will help you .

Here is one example :

New-TransportRule -Name 'ToRule' -Comments 'If To list contains User1,BCC to admin' -Priority '0' -Enabled $true -AnyOfToHeader 'user1@domain.com' -BlindCopyTo 'Administrator@domain.com' 

Monday, November 4, 2013 5:39 AM
  • You're right, the AnyOfToHeader predicate will work.  In our case it is AnyOfToHeaderMemberOf but it's the same difference.

Thanks again.

EDIT: We found a possible bug with that predicate but it's for a support call or another thread.
    Monday, November 4, 2013 6:56 PM