Outlook 365 - File name or directory is not valid RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to add a second data file to Outlook. I archive emails to a yearly pst file. e.g. Outlook17, Outlook16 etc. I want to have my current pst file - Outlook.pst - and Outlook17 available in Outlook.

When I try to add a data file I get an error. "An unknown error occurred. Ox8007007b"

If I go to "Open and Export" "Open Outlook Data File" I get an error "File name or directory name is not valid" I don't get an option to select a file or directory.

I have set up Autoarchive to archive to Outlook17 so that works. If however, I go to "Home" tab, "New Items" "More Items" "Outlook Data File" I get the same missing file name or directory message.

Friday, February 16, 2018 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Where are the PST files located? Are they stored in a network path? 

Did you ever set any registry key to change the default PST file location to another path?

Based on my research, this issue may happen when you are in a folder redirection environment, especially when the 'My Documents' folder is redirected to a network path. 

To determine the location of your My Documents folder, and to change the path if it's not valid, follow these steps:

1. Exit Outlook.

2. Start Registry Editor. To do this, press Win + R to open the Run command, type regedit and press Enter.

3. In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

4. Locate the following value: Personal

5. Verify that the Data field for the Personal value contains the path of a valid location. If you're unsure whether this is a valid path, you can copy and paste it into Windows Explorer to determine whether you can access the location. Note If the path in the Personal value is currently inaccessible because you are connected to a different network or you're working offline, you can reconnect to that network and try to open or create a PST file again. However, if the path in the Personal registry value is no longer a valid location, you can change this path by following the remaining steps.

6. Double-click the following value:  Personal

7. In the Value data box, type the valid path of your My Documents folder, and then click OK. The default data for this value is %USERPROFILE%\Documents.

8. Exit Registry Editor.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Steve Fan Sunday, February 18, 2018 3:03 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:16 PM
    Sunday, February 18, 2018 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:48 AM
  • Hello,

How is everything going now? Have you got an opportunity to try my above suggestions?

If you need further assistance on this issue, feel free to let us know.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Friday, March 2, 2018 7:07 AM