Is App-V 5.0 truly ready as WAN streaming and publishing technology for an Enterprise? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we  are considering to have CM2012 as a config management solution in our Company (so far SCCM2007). We also need a full App-V 5.0 infrastructure to serve our VDI environment. The Company has about 15'000 Users in about 50 locations around the globe. We have about 1200 Applications to be served as virtual Apps. Infrastructure is centralized in Switzerland.

We currently search a way of managing virtual Apps in just one infrastructure and because of high availability and redundancy of the infrastructure, we started looking at App-V 5 rather then CM2012.

Is this Infrastructure really ready for an Enterprise WAN implementation? We have Riverbed in place in all locations, but no regular Servers and it is not allowed to put servers out there! So caching of streams is not so much a concern, but what about publishing and management server components? What if a WAN link is not available but Streams are already cached in riverbed. Would the client still be able to show Icons and allow the start of the virtual apps?

What needs to be focused on regarding performance and availability in remote Locations such as for ex. Sydney with 300ms latency and about 50 users?

Thanks in advance for all you can share...

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:21 AM

Answers

• The availability of apps depends then on the publishing scope: if the apps were published to the stateless VDI

a) globally (on a machine basis) and

b) into the Golden image

then yes, they should be available even if the App-V infrastructure can't be accessed. However this is unlikely for a stateless VDI implementation, because here apps usually are only published during logon and publishing infos are lost as soon as the VDI loses its state.

If all your VDIs are supposed to be hosted in CH, than the answer is quite easy, but I think this is not your scenario (the description is a little bit misleading here).

If you have VDIs running in every location, then there should be propper infrastructure servers (AD, File, potentially database and web) available in the locations as well. In such a scenario, you could consider placing (HA) Publishing Servers in the locations and configure

a) the clients to connect to a 'streaming' source via Riverbed

b) the Publishing Server to connect to the Management Server(s) via Riverbed.

That way, Riverbed (or other WAN accelerating/caching technologies) could provide non-to-medium-level volatile infos out of its cache. Highly volatile Publishing info are retreived by the clients directly from a 'local' Publishing Server (pair).

Publishing:  

Client -> HA_Publishing_Server -> [Riverbed] -> HA_Management_Server -> SQL Cluster

Dowanload/Streaming

Client -> [Riverbed] -> Streaming/Download Server

But still I'd opt for a Streaming/Download server in the locations

PS: Having a 'fast' Streaming/Download location in the sites allows using the "Shared Content Mode", where on the VDIs no files are downloaded (but sparse files / symbolic links directly into the .appv files of the Streaming Server are created.

Falko

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:01 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 12:41 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Any support from Riverbed technology would probably be best confirmed via Riverbed, however App-V 5 uses common protocols and therefore increase the likelyhood of support.

I am not really sure why you are making the choice to not leverage SCCM 2012 - your choices seems odd. Considering your vague statements of requirements, not leveraging SCCM seems to cause increase of cost without improving the business case.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, February 22, 2013 2:25 PM
  • We currently search a way of managing virtual Apps in just one infrastructure and because of high availability and redundancy of the infrastructure, we started looking at App-V 5 rather then CM2012.

What if a WAN link is not available but Streams are already cached in riverbed. Would the client still be able to show Icons and allow the start of the virtual apps?

The native App-V infrastructure doesn't provide any HA by itself, you would need to provide HA of Management and Publishing Servers (hosted in IIS) through a dedicated load-balancer (I don't think NLB is good enough for enterprise HA).

If the publishing server is unavailable, I doubt that you would be able to deploy packages that are new to specific client that might already be cached by the Riverbed appliance. Publishing requires a proper response from the Publishing Server, something that I find unlikely that the Riverbed appliance could do by itself (I'm happy to be proved wrong on that point though).

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Friday, February 22, 2013 3:29 PM
  • Hello and thanks so far.

The decision driver to see if App-V5 could serve it all instead of CM2012 is the following:

In CM2012, there is no true High Availability possible. At least not with no Service interruption. (If a MP Fails, the CM Client has to failover to another MP which in this case your have an impact on any App-V streaming or publishing) 

App-V5 (and that is correct, we plan to put Alteons in front of them) will be a truely HA scenario with no service interruptions if properly monitored and configrued. The reason to consider this, is that we have VDI stateless Desktops used in our Company, and we fully rely on the App delivery Service at all time.

Back to the App-V5 and WAN thingy. I understand that if Users who do not get a new published App ever applied to their PC, this will not be available if the Publishing server is out of service even if the riverbed has already cached the App. But already cached Apps remain availabl in such scenario. Is this correct?

Monday, February 25, 2013 10:28 AM
  • The availability of apps depends then on the publishing scope: if the apps were published to the stateless VDI

a) globally (on a machine basis) and

b) into the Golden image

then yes, they should be available even if the App-V infrastructure can't be accessed. However this is unlikely for a stateless VDI implementation, because here apps usually are only published during logon and publishing infos are lost as soon as the VDI loses its state.

If all your VDIs are supposed to be hosted in CH, than the answer is quite easy, but I think this is not your scenario (the description is a little bit misleading here).

If you have VDIs running in every location, then there should be propper infrastructure servers (AD, File, potentially database and web) available in the locations as well. In such a scenario, you could consider placing (HA) Publishing Servers in the locations and configure

a) the clients to connect to a 'streaming' source via Riverbed

b) the Publishing Server to connect to the Management Server(s) via Riverbed.

That way, Riverbed (or other WAN accelerating/caching technologies) could provide non-to-medium-level volatile infos out of its cache. Highly volatile Publishing info are retreived by the clients directly from a 'local' Publishing Server (pair).

Publishing:  

Client -> HA_Publishing_Server -> [Riverbed] -> HA_Management_Server -> SQL Cluster

Dowanload/Streaming

Client -> [Riverbed] -> Streaming/Download Server

But still I'd opt for a Streaming/Download server in the locations

PS: Having a 'fast' Streaming/Download location in the sites allows using the "Shared Content Mode", where on the VDIs no files are downloaded (but sparse files / symbolic links directly into the .appv files of the Streaming Server are created.

Falko

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:01 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 12:41 PM
  • Hello Falko,

maybe the description was really a bit misleading: The Scenario is that we only provide VDI session from Headquarters. And in that Datacenter is also an entire App-V5 infrastructure availabel which we implement to be fully HA. My concern is rather regarding the physical Corporate Workstation each User has (sitting in Branch locations) and we focus on having the same User Experience as on the VDI. With having this request, we need to provide App-V 5 Apps to the Branch Workstations. But there is no option on puting Server out there. The only thing we have is Riverbed.

But I think you already answered my Questions  at least Partially... Thanks for that.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:11 PM