none
Exchange works only with one DC/GC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

My environment has a forest with four children domains . There is only one Exchange 2007 SP3 server with the roles MB, HUB, CAS. Exchange Server is virtual (VMWare). The Exchange server is installed in the forest root domain. At the site where the Exchange server is installed there are four Domain Controllers (2 Win 2003 and 2 Win 2008 R2). The DCs 2003 will be demoted. The problem is that the Exchange server only works with one of these DCs, which will be discontinued. When I run the command Get-ExchangeServer ExchServer-Identity-Status | FL the attributes StaticDomainControllers and StaticGlobalCatalogs are not configured, or like “$Null”. But in EMC> Server Configuration> Mailbox> ExchServer properties can only see a DC / GC. When I disconnect this DC / GC the Exchange Services stop to work and several events are recorded in Event Viewer. DNS server configured in the NIC is OK, DCDIAG test is OK. Does anyone have any idea for this problem?

Regards

Thiago A. E. Carmo
    MCSE, MCSA + M, MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: SA 2008, MCTS, MCT, MCP

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:16 PM

Answers

• On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 18:16:31 +0000, Thiago A. E. Carmo wrote:

>My environment has a forest with four children domains . There is only one Exchange 2007 SP3 server with the roles MB, HUB, CAS. Exchange Server is virtual (VMWare). The Exchange server is installed in the forest root domain. At the site where the Exchange server is installed there are four Domain Controllers (2 Win 2003 and 2 Win 2008 R2). The DCs 2003 will be demoted. The problem is that the Exchange server only works with one of these DCs, which will be discontinued. When I run the command Get-ExchangeServer ExchServer-Identity-Status | FL the attributes StaticDomainControllers and StaticGlobalCatalogs are not configured, or like “$Null”. But in EMC> Server Configuration> Mailbox> ExchServer properties can only see a DC / GC. When I disconnect this DC / GC the Exchange Services stop to work and several events are recorded in Event Viewer. DNS server configured in the NIC is OK, DCDIAG test is OK. Does anyone have any idea for this problem?

Find the event id 2080 in your application log. That will show you
    what Exchange has discovered for DCs and the abililites of each of
    them. Do all the DCs have the same set of capabiliies?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316300

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:38 AM

All replies

• On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 18:16:31 +0000, Thiago A. E. Carmo wrote:

>My environment has a forest with four children domains . There is only one Exchange 2007 SP3 server with the roles MB, HUB, CAS. Exchange Server is virtual (VMWare). The Exchange server is installed in the forest root domain. At the site where the Exchange server is installed there are four Domain Controllers (2 Win 2003 and 2 Win 2008 R2). The DCs 2003 will be demoted. The problem is that the Exchange server only works with one of these DCs, which will be discontinued. When I run the command Get-ExchangeServer ExchServer-Identity-Status | FL the attributes StaticDomainControllers and StaticGlobalCatalogs are not configured, or like “$Null”. But in EMC> Server Configuration> Mailbox> ExchServer properties can only see a DC / GC. When I disconnect this DC / GC the Exchange Services stop to work and several events are recorded in Event Viewer. DNS server configured in the NIC is OK, DCDIAG test is OK. Does anyone have any idea for this problem?

Find the event id 2080 in your application log. That will show you
    what Exchange has discovered for DCs and the abililites of each of
    them. Do all the DCs have the same set of capabiliies?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316300

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:38 AM
  • Hello Wendy,

Thanks a lot for your response. The article that you mentioned helped me identify the problem. The SACL Right of my Domain Controllers was seted as "0". I solved my problem with the detailed  process described in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896703/en-us

Regards

Thiago A. E. Carmo
    MCSE, MCSA + M, MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: SA 2008, MCTS, MCT, MCP

Thursday, May 2, 2013 2:11 PM