none
LLMNR alongside other zeroconf software RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to install a software on a Windows Server 2019 Evaluation machine that requires a third party zeroconf software, meaning Apple Bonjour. I know Windows, including the server editions, include LLMR for zeroconf. I am asking this here because I have little expertise with DHCP or DNS and I do not want to mess up the server. Bonjour performs more things then LLMR, from what I am aware of, but I do no understand fully what it does, due to my lack of expertise in DHCP and DNS. I know that Windows has a protocol of using DNS client, LLMR and something else in order to solve web browsing, for example, in the way that, if one fails to perform the task, another takes over. I have already asked into Apple support forums, but I could not get a clear answer. Does Apple Bonjour deactivate LLMNR and/or other Windows build-in functions? Does it mess with them? Can it get along with those? If it deactivates or messes up with some, I shall not install that software.
    Saturday, February 2, 2019 10:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

I feel sorry that I have found any information about this.

Since this is a software form third party so We not guarantee if it will cause any potential issue in future and will suggest to confirm with their support service in order to get the proper way to set this service up.

I found an article about How to Fix Network Problems Caused by Bonjour.

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-network-problems-caused-by-bonjour/

Hope it could help.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 4, 2019 6:05 AM
  • I find unlikely to have the issue described in the link you gave. I am more worried that some Windows or server features that rely on LLMNR to be messed up by Bonjour. Both LLMNR and Bonjour are zeroconf software, they do not seem compatible, but for a long time I am trying to understand if LLMNR and Bonjour can be enabled one alongside the other, if they do not get into conflict. Perhaps, on install, to avoid some conflicts, Bonjour disables LLMNR and that can be an issue.
    • Edited by Lotusisrael Monday, February 4, 2019 11:41 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2019 11:40 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

If it has affect your use, I also suggest you not install that software.

Or you can run the software in a virtual machine.

Best Regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 6:39 AM
  • On the official Microsoft documentation, I have not found a clear reference to LLMNR, that is present on WS 2016 or WS 2019, but on Windows 10. But I have seen in user forums some clear posts about it being present. I have checked the WS 2019 registry, I could not find a reference of it there, where it was suppose to be. I wonder, is LLMR really present on Windows Server 2019? If it is absent, a third party zerconf software, like Apple Bonjour, may come handy, if needed.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2019 1:32 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I feel sorry that I have not found any information about LLMNR relate to Windows Server 2019.

I will focus on this, I will post it here if I have any updates.

Best Regards,

Eric

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 7:17 AM