none
WinPE can't find USB offline deployment share RRS feed

• Question

• I believe this is because the USB driver WinPE wants is missing.  This is for Windows 7 64-bit.

If I install "all drivers," in the WinPE selection profile, it finds the deployment share on the USB media, installs the OS and then blue screens during Windows Plug and Play.

If I try to limit the drivers to only storage, Ethernet and USB, then it prompts for the path to the deployment share.

I have tried the USB specific driver and I have tried all chipset drivers.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5212910&swItemId=ob_135422_1&swEnvOid=4059

How can I find which driver MDT is looking for to run USB offline deployment?

• Edited by MyGposts Tuesday, April 21, 2015 10:35 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2015 10:33 PM

All replies

• What is the bugcheck you see when Windows is doing PNP?  Also you might be interested in looking at X:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log when in WinPE X:\Windows\INF.  There should be some clue in there what drivers are being used (PNPID and friendly name)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:21 PM
  • I will need to edit the WinPE drivers selection profile to install "all" drivers instead of just WinPE drivers and have it crash again.  Then I will be able to snap a picture of the bug check.

• Edited by MyGposts Thursday, April 23, 2015 12:05 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2015 12:00 AM
  • I can no longer get the deployment to find the deployment share via offline USB media.   It still prompts for the path to deployment share and is looking for an X drive.

I tried deploying the system via PXE boot and it works fine with no bluescreen errors and no missing drivers in the device manager.

Friday, April 24, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Can you post the log I suggested to some public share location such as Onedrive?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, April 24, 2015 8:21 PM
  • I don't see any way of saving this log file from the virtual X drive to the physical USB stick.

Monday, April 27, 2015 7:26 PM
  • The network was working, so I was able to upload it.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=529F3393FF6E2282&id=529f3393ff6e2282!670

Monday, April 27, 2015 7:45 PM
  • USB driver installs but, the Memorex thumb drive that you are using isn't successfully installing its driver.

For some reason iaStorF service is not getting installed (which it shouldn't be involved in USB but, I might be mistaken).  I am guessing it is a lower filter driver of some sort.  Probably to handle TRIM although that is 100% not required for a Memorex thumb drive...

My next step would be remove the RST drivers from your boot image.  Are you unable to see the HDDs on this machine without the RST driver?

Pretty much go as simple as possible for drivers with your boot images.  Something like only what is required and that is all.

I typically create some folders in my Out of Box drivers

WinPE x64

Then only put the required drivers in the folder

Create a selection profile only containing those drivers.

Change as previous:

• Edited by Ty GlanderModerator Monday, April 27, 2015 8:35 PM For some reason adding a picture puts it at the top...
    • Proposed as answer by Ty GlanderModerator Monday, April 27, 2015 8:35 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2015 8:20 PM
  • I was using a Corsair USB drive to run the deployment and it worked with  different computer models.

I tried plugging in a Memorex drive after it failed to see if it would recognize it for to copy the log file, but the deployment is being run from the Corsair drive.

Maybe the USB drive is being improperly identified as a Memorex.

Monday, April 27, 2015 9:00 PM
  • The interesting part is the filter driver failing to install.  Perhaps I should look earlier in the logs and look for the corsair.  I still strongly suggest removing the Intel RSTe driver and seeing if things go better.

Monday, April 27, 2015 9:31 PM
  • I looked through your driver log a little more closely... There is evidence of a massive number of drivers being added.  Unless this gets simplified to only what is required I suspect you will continue to have issues. Also the same issue with the RSTe and the corsair stick.

Monday, April 27, 2015 10:35 PM
  • Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:16 PM
  • It still is failing with reduced drivers.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=529F3393FF6E2282&id=529f3393ff6e2282%21671

Can you post the setupapi.dev.log the one you have there is setupapi.app.log?

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:25 PM
  • It is still failing with the filter driver:
         inf:                     {Install Inf Section [disk_install.NT.Services] exit(0x00000000)}
         dvi:                     Controlling Service: Service 'disk' is required at boot, modifying filter drivers.
    !!!  dvi:                     Filter Service: Failed to open service 'iaStorF'.
    !!!  dvi:                     Error 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
    !!!  dvi:                     Error while installing services.
    !!!  dvi:                     Error 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
    !!!  dvi:                     Cleaning up failed installation
         dvi:                {Install DEVICE exit (0x00000424)}
    Are you using WAIK3.1?

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:50 PM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 12:30 AM
  • That is strange.  I wouldn't expect WAIK2 to support Windows 7 at all.  When you are rebuild your boot images are you forcing a complete rebuild?

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 12:38 AM
  • 2.0 is how it's listed in add/remove programs.

We have been using it with Windows 7 for a few years and even it works with this image and task sequence when run from the server via PXE boot.  

It just isn't working for offline USB media.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 2:07 AM
  • From the setupapi.dev.log we know the reason why.  It has to do with the Intel RSTe drivers.  If you have removed that from your boot images and it is still showing up that is a mystery.  Something interesting you could try would be current version MDT and ADK 8.1 on some other machine.  If you can get it to work that way then you might want to move up to a supported version.

• Proposed as answer by Dan_Vega Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:12 PM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 6:14 PM