OK i need help with retarded backup and restore... RRS feed

• Question

• ok so yesterday my D drive crashed...i figured yere easy just reformate it and then reinstall vista...and just restore it to one of my back ups which ive been doing them at 7pm for the past 2 weeks...well i guess not that easy

i store them on our server where we backup EVERYTHING...so yere went control panel...backup and restore center...advanced restore..and again advanced restore..then shared folder on this network..found my folders and went the latest one...and get this

windows was unable to find any backup sets on blah\blah and so on

WTF
    I NEED MY STUFF BACK
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hello

It sounds like you typically run a 'Complete Backup', which is used to restore the Windows System files and settings. It is not used to save just your personal files. It creates an image of the eintire system...yes, all your file included. This is used in issues like you just had, where a drive fails or something similar. The easiest way to restore is to boot off the Vista DVD and have your backup on a USB drive. The restore should whip through in about 15 minutes and you are at the exact point of you last save.
    FYI: There is no way to recover individual files from this type of backup.

The 'Backup Files' option allows you to restore just the files and settings you backed up.

All that said, you can still get your 'stuff' back. You don't have a choice but to do a full system restore though. The easiest way at this point would be to copy your latest backup file to a USB drive and go through the 'Restore Computer' option, pointing to the USB drive. It will reformat your drive and apply the image of your system as it was when you backed the system up.

The reason you are not 'seeing' the files is because the backup and restore center saves TWO types of files depending on which option you choose.

Let us know if this does the trick.

Mark Support
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 1:21 AM