Windows 7 Explorer: incorrect error message saying you must be admin or need special authority when folder is just held by someone else RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to delete a folder while another computer has a file open under that folder, incorrect error messages are displayed, on French Windows 7 not informing the user that the problem is that a file is open elsewhere.

I opened this question on  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/french-windows-7-incorrect-error-message/2fd0fe0e-7513-4503-a616-432bb2e3c80f?page=1&tm=1325018551756#footer but no answers have been found there.

Here is the description of how to reproduce the error:

English Windows 7 (64-bit Home Premium in my case):

1. Create a folder in e.g. documents folder on PC1.

2. Create a subfolder on PC1.

3. Create a file in subfolder on PC1.

4. Open the file with e.g. Word on another PC, PC2, on the local network.

5. Delete the top folder on PC1.

6. This produces an error message: "This action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program." That is correct. When reading point 6 in the French Windows scenario, one will notice that the French message is entirely different.

7. Click Continue.

8. This produces a second, now incorrect error message: "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder", then "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from ... to make changes to this folder." Of course, one can argue that it is not strictly incorrect to tell me I need permission even if I already have the permission, but what is the purpose of that? It only confuses the user. 

9. Nothing is deleted.

10. Close the file on PC2.

11. Delete the top folder on PC1.

12. The folder, subfolder and file are now deleted.

French Windows 7 ('Édition intégrale' 32-bit in my case):

1. Create a folder in e.g. documents folder on PC1.

2. Create a subfolder on PC1.

3. Create a file in subfolder on PC1.

4. Open the file with e.g. Word on another PC, PC2, on the local network.

5. Delete the top folder on PC1.

6. This produces an incorrect error message: "Vous devez disposer des droits d'administrateur pour supprimer ce dossier". (you must have administrator rights to delete this folder)

7. Click Continue.

8. This produces a second incorrect error message: "Vous devez disposer d'une autorisation pour effectuer cette action. Vous avez besoin d'une autorisation de la part de [user]-PC\[user] pour modifier ce dossier." (you must have an authorisation to perform this action. You need an authorisation from ... to modify this folder)

9. Nothing is deleted.

10. Close the file on PC2.

11. Delete the top folder on PC1.

12. The folder, subfolder and file are now deleted.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:54 PM

All replies

• Here're my reproduction:

1. Create a folder and a file on PC1. Share it with another PC2.

2. Open the file on PC2, try to delete the file on PC1, the message is: "The action can't be completed because the file is open in System Close the file and try again." Then the options are "Try again" and "Cancel".

This, I think, it's clear for the users.

Now I'm wonderring, how did you open this file on another PC? Did you share the folder? What kind of permission you gave to a second user?

Regards,

Miya

Miya Yao

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:08 AM
  • From Finn's description, this issue doesn't repro on English, but on French. We need more investigation to see whether it is a localization bug.

Hi Finn,

I've submitted a feedback for this issue through http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/feedback.aspx?formID=195. That is where people provide feedbacks about potential product bugs. You may want to use that in future if need.

Thanks
    Yiman

• Proposed as answer by Robinson Zhang Thursday, January 5, 2012 10:22 AM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:47 PM
  • Hi Finn,

I just read the same thread on Answers. I found that you've tried the feedback form, but failed because content is too long. We'll consider this feedback to improve our feedback form as well.

Thank you for your patience!

Thanks

Yiman 

Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:06 PM