Appdata Redirection on RDS not working (App-V 5 SP2) ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everybody,

I’m struggling with roaming appdata folder. I have a RDS2012 server with App-V RDS  5.0 SP2 version 5.0.3384.0. Appdata is redirected to a folder, rights are correct (user and computer account have full access, test environment). Everything seems to work fine until the user logs off and on again. Because we delete the local profile of the user there is a new profile created at logon. As my understanding the process should be as followed (guide AppV5_AppPub_and_Client_Inter.pdf):

• User logs in
    • App-V app is started and looking for the timestamp in the redirected appdata folder
    • App-V is looking in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Packages\<guid>\AppDataTime
    • If there is no appdata with the guid in the local profile, it’s extracted and copied to the local profile from the roaming appdata.
    • At shutdown of the app, this local appdata is zipped to the roaming appdata with a new timestamp and the registry key is updated with the new datestamp

Every time a user starts an app this process is repeated. I can see that this all works as long as the user stays logged on the RDS. At logoff and login it look like the client is creating a new appdata and not checking the registry and roaming appdata. I checked that the registry is correct and the .zip file exists at the roaming appdata so I can’t figure out why it’s creating a new local appdata at re logon and not using the existing one in the roaming appdata.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Peter

Thursday, April 24, 2014 12:31 PM

All replies

• Do you store/restore the registry for the user? Might it be that the App-V client dosn't find the AppDataTime value and therefor decides to create a new folder?

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Monday, April 28, 2014 9:56 AM
  • Hello Falko,

Quite not sure what u mean. The registry is saved to the profile correctly and loaded correctly when the user logs on. If u mean if the key above exists in the app-v virtual registry, that is a no.

Peter

Thursday, May 1, 2014 6:31 AM
  • Hello,

When the registry is loaded correctly (the native, not the virtual) - does the value AppDataTime exist?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Sunday, May 25, 2014 7:42 PM
  • hi

have exact the same problem, the appdatatime key is not available.

i read the article https://nialljen.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/app-v-5-sp2-redirected-folder-permissions/

and sebastian gernert from app-v support team said to include 

• Configure in the Registry underHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \AppV \ Client \ Integration.
    • Create the DWORD valuePreserveUserIntegrationsOnLogin with a value of1.
    • Restart the App-V client service or restart the computer running the App-V Client.

as we use immidio flex+ 

the appdatatime key is not set. any ideas why? we use sharedcontentstore as we are in an rds environment.

Thomas Reitböck

forgot to say that we delete profile during logoff.

• Edited by kthemall_new Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:27 AM
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:20 AM
  • just confirmed that the appdatatime key is not written at:  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Packages\<guid>\AppDataTime

but it is at: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\classes\microsoft\appv\client\packages\<package_guid>\

strange, isn´t it?

thx tom

Thomas Reitböck

Thursday, January 21, 2016 12:58 PM